Sign in to follow this  
hcpookie

Camo Nets

Made a test LOd to see how it would fare - looks promising! Using Arma1 foliage of course:

We need to talk! Soon!

_foliage_camouflaged_warriors.jpg

This is using Arma2's Pinus Mugo bush pmugo.p3d model (with a config turning that into a vehicle), and a lot of math to put them in the right position on the vehicles. The image above shows four Warrior IFVs herringboned at Utes (click for more detail).

I've got the beginnings in place of an open-ended table containing vehicle dimensions and shape, based on which a script can cover the vehicles (sides, front if applicable, top if applicable). Testing with these Warriors, some Leopard 1 and 2 series, Marders and a M577 hq vehicle.

Also for foliage, I'd like to use a a data-driven approach.

The major downside of the reusing the Arma2 bush p3d is that the LODs don't work in the way I need them to work. From a far distance I'd like the model to collapse into a triangle as large as the foliage and parallel to the vehicles' hull. The bush reduces to quickly to something not representing foliage on a vehicle.

The other thing I don't know how to do is identifying the turret.

Sent you a PM with my email.

William

Has hcpookie stopped working on this? It is unfortunate if he has.

Ok I have this working with ACE units all be it in a way that suits my needs so if anybody wants the code here it is.

Place a camo net backpack down in the editor

Place a player unit.

Preview and pickup the camo net backpack

Use the unit's action menu (middle mouse) to deploy/pack the camo net.

1. Add the following code to the init fields of the units that you want to handle camo nets.

Parse the classname of the camonet that you want the unit to use via the addaction.

this setVariable ["camonetDeployed", false, true]; this addAction ["Deploy Camo Net", "camonetsniper.sqf", ["Deploy","pook_camonet_small_west22"], 51, false, true, "", "!(_target getVariable 'camonetDeployed')"]; this addAction ["Pack Camo Net", "camonetsniper.sqf", ["Pack","pook_camonet_small_west22"], 51, false, true, "", "(_target getVariable 'camonetDeployed')"];

2. camonetsniper.sqf:

if (isDedicated) exitWith {}; 

_vehicle = _this select 0;
_man= _this select 1;
_option = (_this select 3) select 0; 
_net = (_this select 3) select 1;

if (_man != player) exitWith {}; 

if (_option == "Deploy") exitWith {
	_thispack = unitBackpack _man;
	_result = [str(_thispack), "pook_camopack.p3d", 0] call CBA_fnc_find;  // http://dev-heaven.net/docs/cba/files/strings/fnc_find-sqf.html

if (_result != -1) then {
		     sleep 1;
			_man playMove "aidlppnemstpsraswrfldnon0s";
			_man_camonet = _net createVehicle [0,0,0]; 
			_number = floor(random 100000);
			_man_camonet SetVehicleVarName str(_number);
			_man_camonet setDir (getDir _man);
			_man_camonet setPos [ getPos _man select 0, getPos _man select 1, 0];
	      _man setVariable ["camonetDeployed", true, true]; 
	      _man setVariable ["camonetName", (_man_camonet), true]; 
	        sleep 2;
	      	player sideChat "Camo net deployed";
} else {
	player sideChat "You are not carrying a camo net backpack";
};
};

if (_option == "Pack") exitWith { 
	_man_camonet = _man getVariable "camonetName";	
	  if (_man distance _man_camonet < 3) then {
		   _man playMove "aidlpknlmstpslowwrfldnon_idlesteady02";
		   deleteVehicle _man_camonet;
		   _man setVariable ["camonetDeployed", false, true]; 
		   _man setVariable ["camonetName", "", true]; 
		     sleep 2;
		     player sideChat "Camo net packed";
	  } else {
			player sideChat "You're too far from the camo net. Move closer!";
		};
};  

Download demo mission. Obviously ACE and the camo net addon is required.

Has hcpookie stopped working on this? It is unfortunate if he has.
I would imagine, he maybe working on other projects, or he may have other things going on. Perhaps send him a PM.

Wow deja vu - just the other day I started working on an inventory version of the sniper nets and suddenly this! Jman that's awesome if that works in ACE for you! If that works I'll add it to the notes in the next version! :)

I'm going to build SOME of the camo patterns into inventory items like I did with the signal marker panels. This will add the flexibility to snipers to be able to carry the nets without the added burden of no backpack (and therefore limited inventory). I can justify this from a realism perspective since the inventory structure is rather limited, and in real life the camo net wouldn't be that big (think 2-man pup tent) and one would probably lash it to their backpack like a bedroll. Point being, it should not "penalize" snipers with the diminished inventory.

The problem is that any deployable item is a weapon, and you cannot add a texture set to a weapon - thus the need for weapon packs to have "duplicates" in different colors. Therefore the update will include new models, one per each camo color, so I am going to pick-and-choose camo colors for a limited selection. I estimate this will increase the download by another 20-40MB.

Update! v2.0 is now available... a year in the making :)

New in v2.0: Sniper Camo nets are now INVENTORY items meaning you carry them as you would a radio, compass, etc.

*** Backpacks are NO LONGER REQUIRED for sniper nets! ***

camonetINV.jpg

This new option was added to eliminate the sniper backpack "penalty" the BIS inventory structure imposed with the previous 1.x version that required carrying the camo net as a backpack. In real life, the camo net wouldn't be that big or heavy... similar in size and weight to 2-man pup tent. Therefore it would probably be lashed to a backpack like a bedroll or slung over the shoulder as additional gear. The use of these new Inventory sniper nets will allow the sniper to carry a backpack, thereby eliminating the "inventory penalty" to snipers from the previous versions!

- Enemy AI detection with sniper nets is *significantly* reduced! The use of nets to avoid enemy AI detection are subject to these requirements:

- You MUST remain prone. AI can detect you when crouched.

- Your weapon must be inside the net. Barrels sticking through the net may be detected.

- Your body must remain motionless. NOTE: Head-only movements were not detectable by the AI during my testing.

- Since your body must remain motionless, your AI squad members may be susceptible to detection depending

on the circumstances (for example if the AI squad member were to "turn to" the enemy, they could be detected).

- That the nets will reduce enemy AI detection, but may not completely eliminate it! As in real life, the

nets are concealment, not cover, and you may still be detectable.

- The new sniper inventory nets are found in the "Camo Nets" Ammo crates under "Ammo > Camo Nets".

- The new nets utilize 3 inventory slots. This leaves several slots avaialble for use with other inventory items and addons such as my Signal Marker Panel multiplay-focused addon:

- The backpack sniper nets are still present and unaffected by the new inventory versions.

See first post for download information! :)

For those of use using the ACE and ACEX mods what is the weight penalty for these if we wanted to carry them with our troops on LRRP style missions for forward scouting and observation of enemy forces say behind enemy lines on Isla Duala?

reschke, I don't run ACE so I can't really say. JMAN posted an ACE workaround a few posts back (page 8 by my count) that apparently makes this work with ACE.

@ Foxhound - thank you as always for the link!

this may be a stupid question or i may have just overlooked it, but how to do i give a unit the sniper camonet aside from picking it up from the ammobox? I tried this addweapon "pook_camonet_small_east11"; and this addmagazine "pook_camonet_small_east11"; but neither seem to work.

Close! Here's how you do it for the 2-man small nets:

this addWeapon "pook_camonet_small_east_drop[color="#FF0000"]XX[/color]";

--- or ---

this addWeapon "pook_camonet_small_west_drop[color="#FF0000"]XX[/color]";

... and here is how you do it for the 3-man medium nets:

this addWeapon "pook_camonet_med_east_drop[color="#FF0000"]XX[/color]";

--- or ---

this addWeapon "pook_camonet_med_west_drop[color="#FF0000"]XX[/color]";

... where XX is the net number (1-22). I started numbers with #2, so for color #1, no number is needed.

pook_camonet_small_east_drop = color #1 (BIS Chernarus Camo) etc. and so on.

More Examples:

pook_camonet_small_east_drop2

pook_camonet_small_east_drop3

pook_camonet_small_west_drop22

pook_camonet_small_west_drop16

pook_camonet_med_east_drop2

pook_camonet_med_west_drop15

Color List:

The numbers represent the camo type (0-22):

(no number) = BIS Chernarus Camo (East Pattern) / BIS Nato Green (West Pattern)

2. BIS Desert Brown (East Pattern) / BIS Nato Tan (West Pattern)

3. CADPAT

4. Desert Storm

5. DPM Desert

6. Flecktarn

7. Flecktarn Desert

8. Rus Desert Camo

9. Rus Forest Camo

10. AOR Forest

11. ATACS Desert

12. ATACS Forest

13. DPM Forest

14. MARPAT

15. Multicam

16. Snow

17. Spec

18. SURPAT

19. Woodland

20. Nogovan Oak

21. Duala Brown

22. Lingor Jungle

All the colors are listed in the readme as well

hello hcpookie, one question does this addon add action to all vehicles to deploy camo net or do i need to script it? If not how do i go about starting the script in question to get it to work. Thank you!

Nevermind this question! Great Work! :D

Edited by Odyseus

sorry to ask this but why doesn't the objects come already scripted to deploy camo? :D i m pulling my hair here! LOL