Sign in to follow this  
nightsta1ker

repacking PBO files with EliteNess

Heres my issue:

When I extract the PBO file edit it and then repack it with EliteNess, the repacked PBO file does not work. TOH will not load. When I put the original PBO back in, TOH loads fine. So I did some digging. When I RE-extract the modified and repacked PBO, I find that EliteNess has repacked it into additional folders.

So instead of seeing a folder named air_us_h, with a folder in it named hsim, with another folder in that named air_us_h, etc...

I see a folder named air_us_h with a folder inside named Scott, with a folder in it named desktop, with a folder in it named New Folder, etc...

When I put the repacked PBO into the TOH root folder and load TOH the program is not seeing the files in the order it needs to so it's aborting the startup.

How do I repack the PBOs in the original format?

Heres my issue:

When I extract the PBO file edit it and then repack it with EliteNess, the repacked PBO file does not work. TOH will not load. When I put the original PBO back in, TOH loads fine. So I did some digging. When I RE-extract the modified and repacked PBO, I find that EliteNess has repacked it into additional folders.

So instead of seeing a folder named air_us_h, with a folder in it named hsim, with another folder in that named air_us_h, etc...

I see a folder named air_us_h with a folder inside named Scott, with a folder in it named desktop, with a folder in it named New Folder, etc...

When I put the repacked PBO into the TOH root folder and load TOH the program is not seeing the files in the order it needs to so it's aborting the startup.

How do I repack the PBOs in the original format?

If you only edit flight model files, you probably don't need make pbo, see this yesterdays Armored_Sheep's posts, you can only put files to root folder.

Regarding where pbo should be there is this wiki page. http://community.bistudio.com/wiki/modfolders

Unfortunately, I can't help you with pbo packaging.

Edited by BoboCZ

Addons Complete section? totally wrong section. a mod is going to lock or move this.

try the current flight model editing thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2055136#post2055136

-I can only assume you made an error with the repacking, probably my fault as I told you to make sure you move your addon to a 'work area' and keep it separate from your other ToH files. I did not intend for you to move the individual files after they are extracted. Once extracted, keep the folder and all the files where they are, edit your XML file, save, then re-pack that addon making sure you choose the correct folder to compile.

-you told me you were waiting until Holiday to play with the XML

-I didn't notice any message on my cell tonight asking for help

are you working tomorrow? perhaps we can get together on Vent again and work this problem out.

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

nightsta1ker, if you plan on doing much Take On editing it might be wise to install the BI Tools Suite. Namely, the tools you will want are binpbo, binmake, and the tools drive. The tools drive uses a subst command to associate a new folder ...my documents\armawork\ with the drive letter p:. Anything packed in any folders in the p: root (for instance, p:\ScottsFMTweaks will create a pbo ScottsFMTweaks.pbo with the proper structure). Eliteness probably requires p: drive as well.

Then, you will want to put that pbo either in the Take On addons folder (not recommended), or in a mod folder within the Take On folder (For instance, ...take on helicopters\@FMTweaks\AddOns\ScottsFMTweaks.pbo) and activated in your shortcut's target line, or steam's startup parameters.

I'll let this thread be for a short while so you can easily find it to ask some final questions, then I'll probably close it.

Edited by Max Power

-Ziggy-;2055178']Addons Complete section? totally wrong section. a mod is going to lock or move this.

try the current flight model editing thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?p=2055136#post2055136

-I can only assume you made an error with the repacking' date=' [i']probably my fault [/i]as I told you to make sure you move your addon to a 'work area' and keep it separate from your other ToH files. I did not intend for you to move the individual files after they are extracted. Once extracted, keep the folder and all the files where they are, edit your XML file, save, then re-pack that

addon making sure you choose the correct folder to compile.

-you told me you were waiting until Holiday to play with the XML

-I didn't notice any message on my cell tonight asking for help

are you working tomorrow? perhaps we can get together on Vent again and work this problem out.

I DID read that thread and WAS putting my repacked PBO file into the ROOT TOH folder, not the ADDONS folder.

I did not move the individual files after they were extracted.

Technically, it IS the holidy as last night was basically my Friday night.

I didn't message you because shortly after my attempt at repacking the PBOs

I went out with my family and did not have time to do anything before bed.

No I am not working today and will text you when I get a chance to get on Vent.

Max Power:

Thanks for leaving the thread open for a bit, and for the advice. I will look into the Tools Suite.

I reproduced your issue. you did everything as I told you, which was wrong. lol sorry.

trying to recompile correctly and test a ToH start now.

when extracted, the pbo directory will be

air_us_h/hsim/air_us_h/

then folders:

Data

Helicopters_Heavy

helicopters_light

Helicopters_Medium

and files:

$PBOPREFIX$

config.bin

texHeaders.bin

when I compile the folder back into a pbo, I extracted the resulting pbo to verify the directory was correct, but..

I found it was different:

air_us_h/air_us_h/hsim/air_us_h/

then folders:

Data

Helicopters_Heavy

helicopters_light

Helicopters_Medium

and files:

config.bin

texHeaders.bin

but file $PBOPREFIX$ was inside the hsim folder instead of the last air_us_h

Edited by [DirTyDeeDs]-Ziggy-

no

either

a) toh\hsim\air_us_h\config.cpp etc

or

b) toh\@modfolder\addons\myAddon.pbo and -mod=@modfolder

no

either

a) toh\hsim\air_us_h\config.cpp etc

or

b) toh\@modfolder\addons\myAddon.pbo and -mod=@modfolder

I am unsure how PvPscene can say for certain how Eliteness will extract or compile the pbo if he doesnt have the game. Do you have some ToH pbos?

either way, I can't help nightsta1ker, because I can't even get it right :confused: :o FPDR

Very frustrating indeed. How am I supposed to recompile the folder so that TOH will recognize it if it gets repacked within the folder I was "working" on it in? It seems Eliteness does not allow you to choose the exact location you want it repacked to. Perhaps this has something to do with Win 7? Or maybe I am missing a program? I need to figure out how to use the Dev toolbox programs... It's going to take some time, and ALOT of reading and playing around just to figure out how to edit a PBO and repack it properly. Poohbah...! I just want to dive right into editing and testing flight dynamics! Why does everything have to be so damned difficult!?!?!?!

in the extraction you get the folder: air_us_h\hsim\air_us_h

in the repacking process you need repack the last sub folder: air_us_h\data, helicopter_heavy...

put the repacked pbo in the addons folder

Edited by heli_flying

So repacking the last subfolder will put it in the correct order so that TOH will recognize it? And I thought PvPscene was saying NOT to put anything in the addon folder, that it went int he TOH root folder?

the folder you need to pack is the inner air_us_h

in all cases the pbo you want to make starts from the folder containing the pboprefix

one way or other, point eliteness to the TARGET folder which in this case is:

wherever\air_us_h\hsim\air_us_h

simply rightclick on that inner air_us_h, and makepbo