Sign in to follow this  
Asfarn

(solved) Career mode not working

I have a strange problem with ToH...

Everything in the game seems to function as I would expect it to (free flight, training, no problem), except for career mode.

When starting a new career (that's as far as I've got with regard to career mode anyway), the following consistently happens:

1. From the main menu, I select "Single Player"

2. From the single player menu, I select "Career"

3. From the career menu, I select "Lark Rising", and click "Continue"

4. The next screen is more or less identical to the previous, except that "Lark Rising" is now "Start", as is the "Continue" button. I click "Start".

5. This takes me to difficulty setting. I select a difficulty (doesn't matter which one, by the way) and click "Play".

6. And I'm back at 4...

I can keep going forward, alternating between screens 4 and 5.

Going back is just 2 clicks on the "Back" buttons at most...

There's also another problem, which is most likely related, but not nearly as annoying as what I described above.

The game doesn't remember my settings. So every time I want to play it, I need to set up graphics and configure the joystick.

Help, please...

That all sounds like somehow the game is not able to save any files to your HD (user profile, career saves, etc.). Does your user account in Windows have full write access in the My Documents folder for example? If you go to the Take On Helicopters folder there, are you able to manually edit the CFG file for example :confused:

I CAN create new profiles, but nothing is saved in them.

In my system, the Documents folder is NOT located somewhere on the C: drive, but on a NAS (in fact, all my library folders are on the NAS)...

This allows me to share documents (and music, pictures and movies) across various devices, and no single device "owns" the document...

:confused: Registry pointing to hardcoded Documents folder location?

There ARE ToH files in my Documents folder (on the NAS)...

I can't currently try to manually write the CFG file, but I'll try when I get home...

Edited by Asfarn
Misread post I was responding to...

Well, that was awkward...

There were only directories for ToH in my Documents folder, no files.

Yet manually creating (or changing) files worked just fine.

Checked access rights to the NAS and found that no accounts should be able to write ANYTHING (yet writing files from within Windows worked just fine)...

Changed the access rights to the NAS. Didn't help.

So, now I've moved my Documents folder back to my C: drive, and tried again.

Yay, it works!!! :yay:

Now all I have to do is configure an explicitly shared Documents folder for shared documents (not stuff that programs want to store in the default Documents folder).

Fact is, I hadn't considered that type of stuff when I moved my Documents folder to the NAS (which was mainly intended for music and pictures anyway)...

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It's hard to find a problem if you don't even know WHERE to look.

:)

Good you have it working that way now :) We'll try to look into why it cannot save to this type of Documents location, if we can reproduce it in-house.

Thanks for the tip, but it really isn't an issue anymore.

I use the NAS mainly for sharing music and images across devices*.

But as I was configuring all of that, I decided I might as well do the same for ALL libraries.

What I hadn't taken into account, is that the Documents folder is ALREADY shared.

It's the location where I put my documents (the ones I might want to share across devices, just like the other stuff), but it's also the location where applications can store their data (which I DON'T want to share across devices)...

So, in hindsight, moving the ENTIRE Documents folder to the NAS was a bad idea to begin with...

*) With the NAS, I only need one folder for, say, music. This can then be used on my PC, but the same folder (i.e. the same music) is available on my tablet (or phone, for that matter), without the need for copying the music to all devices.

The same goes for images. While playing a game, I can create a screenshot, that's then available on my laptop, without having to leave the game or taskswitching...

The same does NOT apply to Documents (although sometimes in can be handy to have CERTAIN documents available on other devices than my desktop, but certainly not ALL of them)...

Hi,

I'm not able to play in career mode, when I click play it sends me right back to the Lark Rising start page. Any help will be much appreciated.