Sign in to follow this  
Tacklebait

Fligtstick recommendations....

I'm looking for a setup that won't break the bank but will get me the most out of this simulator!

I'm getting track ir 5 and Hoping to get pedals and stick for less then $400.

And combo options you guys recommend?

If it's cheaper then $400 the better.

As well what features do the more pricey sticks get ya?

Force feedback a good feature to have?

Thanks!!!!

I'm messing with ya! Most any joystick will run fine. This is just the best joystick money can buy for a consumer. It is $500 + you will need to get some rudder pedals, so figure $600.

As for a joystick, just make sure it covers 4 axis. That is 2 axis for cyclic, 1 axis for collective, and 1 axis for rudder. You can get around the rudder by using auto trim, but having a rudder is half the fun in flying helo.

Just my 2 cents.

-X

PS. If you get the Wathog, consider me jealous. I am currently running a HOTAS Cougar, but I would love the Warthog.

---------- Post added at 11:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:52 AM ----------

I forgot something. Just as important as the joystick, I suggest a Track IR. Flying aircraft of any sort without this, I just can't imagine anymore:

http://www.naturalpoint.com/trackir/products/trackir5/

It gives you freedom to look around which is crucial in many situations to see where you are dropping your helo, or to simply see better in a turn. You can look into a turn with ease and all around too. Great for hovering as well.

I can't explain how much you need this. You just do. Trust me on this one. I have been using it for quite some time now and I can't live without it.

-X

A video on the subject showing it in use:

trackir5-front_m.jpg

Edited by xman1

Got mine for about 300 Euros, and I have to say, I DO NOT regret buying this beauty.

(after looking it up on the web you can find it online a little under 500$)

I used to have the old Thrustmaster Cougar Hotas but the pots were starting acting up (conveniently right before when DCS a-10 came out) and this one is an upgrade on virtually everything:

- The throttle is more responsive and the fact that you can choose to split it to control two engines separatly is great (and there's a magnetic switch to stick them together)

- The new joystick loosed the pots and now use Hall effect sensors and much better gimbals, it's smoother, more responsive and much less of a strain to pilot for prolonged times as well.

- If you're into DCS-A10 there's no excuse not to favor it since it's an exact replica and it's perfectly connected to the game (every toggle switch and button is directly mapped to the plane and active out of the box)

The only minus from me comes from the buttons which are plastic (the old ones were metal) but on the plus side, they are much harder to press to emulate the real plane (and the fact that you need harder buttons to compensate for the loss of tactile feedback due to gloves)

Obviously, the handle doesn't twist so you'll either have to bind them to another button or buy a set of pedals. I had the saitek pro rudder pedals which are cheaper to some alternatives and I find them great.

It is quite an investment, but if you're into simulations, and for having tried a lot of the alternative hotas systems, I have to say this is the best I've ever flown and not just for plane simulations (I used it on KA-50 and now on Take On and it's a dream). That, of course, is my personal opinion and should not be taken as a statement, other people will prefer force feedback sticks or CH products but this one just clicks my buttons in all the right ways.

I like Saitek. For example the Saitek X52 Pro with some pedals (from saitek, CH products or other brand). But I cannot compare it to other sticks, so yeah.

Also, this is a nice article, it's about most HOTAS configs (logitech, saitek, thrustmaster etc): http://simhq.com/_technology2/technology_094a.html

From a driving accuracy standpoint, you are comparing a Ferrari to a Hyundai. You get what you pay for.

-X

Freetrack works very well and is also very accurate. Sure, you have to build your own tracking device, which of course is a big hassle (for most), but the software + webcam works very well :) TrackIR is overpriced really, it goes on sale here for 150 euro ($206). Using Freetrack it costs about 25 euro ($35). I don't think that's getting what you pay for if you get TrackIR ;) I do understand that the easiest way is just get it all working out of the box though.

Freetrack works just as well as TrackIr. It's all down to how much time you want to spend to get it right. Sure, time is money but still - can't compare free/cheap to 200-250 USD with the argument that it's not as refined.

How can it? 60FPS vs 15FPS on average. 30FPS will drop down the resolution on most web cams to something less than half that of a TrackIR. You need the PS3 cam to make it work well too if you want a decent res.

Examples from people on the web that have both:

Since TrackIR 5 has come out the price of 4Pro has dropped to $100. I bought one and I don’t regret it. It worked better than FreeTrack right out the box. Its WAY smoother and I haven’t even tweaked it to my liking yet. Awesome.

Also, no battery required.

At the risk of sounding like a commercial, if you can afford TrackIR, buy it!

He bought a TrackIR 4 which is half the resolution of the 5. I guess Freetrack is better than nothing, but it is not TrackIR. Not to mention the internal sensor of a TrackIR is about 200Hz.

30 has a lag of 33ms

5 has a lag of 5ms

I stand by my statement.

-X

Edited by xman1

What do you mean by "30 has a lag of 33ms" and "5 has a lag of 5ms"?

With a wiimote you get 100hz, not that you need it. I get 30hz and i don't have any problem with jitter or lagging. The resolution means notihng in this case. Have you tried freetrack?

That's all good xman. But my freetrack works great with no noticeable lag or anything. Runs at 30fps with 640x480 resolution. Absolutely no problems at all. TrackIR might have better specs, and might be better (hell yeah, you pay $200 for it), but I have absolutely no complaints about Freetrack and it works as it should. So as long as it works good and does it's job I don't understand why Freetrack cannot be a good alternative. It all comes down to on how much you can (and want) to spend on headtracking. I don't agree that Freetrack is not a good alternative for TrackIR.

Any way, maybe we should get back to the HOTAS discussion from the OP :D

I was lookin at the saitek 65 pro, what is the whole pressure sensitivity all about?

I was lookin at the saitek 65 pro, what is the whole pressure sensitivity all about?

As far as I know it means that the stick doesn't "move" like most sticks. Instead input is based on the amount of pressure being exerted on the stick and the pressure is translated into axis movement in-game. At least that's what I read, never tried it myself :)

As far as I know it means that the stick doesn't "move" like most sticks. Instead input is based on the amount of pressure being exerted on the stick and the pressure is translated into axis movement in-game. At least that's what I read, never tried it myself :)

Interesting... Not sure what to think about that!! Be interesting to hear peoples thoughts on it.

Guess your not looking at it when your using it. Probably feels similar .

What do you mean by "30 has a lag of 33ms" and "5 has a lag of 5ms"?

With a wiimote you get 100hz, not that you need it. I get 30hz and i don't have any problem with jitter or lagging. The resolution means notihng in this case. Have you tried freetrack?

Response time. 5 ms is what you get for a response time from TrackIR 5 at 200 Hz.

100Hz wiimote - I read about that and it is a pain in the butt not only to set up, but to use.

Resolution means everything for accuracy, but this is a separate subject from response rate. You are mixing up the two.

But I agree with the next comment - back to the thread at hand.

-X

And this will run me how much?

well... I had a cougar for 10 years... at $600... that is $60 a year... I now have a Warthog and it looks better engineered then the cougar...so I am hoping for greater than 10 years.. fingers crossed..

What are you using for Rudder pedals on the Warthog? I have a Cougar and an RCS. Not having an input on the warthog is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded.

-X

What are you using for Rudder pedals on the Warthog? I have a Cougar and an RCS. Not having an input on the warthog is one of the reasons I haven't upgraded.

-X

was a shame they did not release a rudder pedal set.... but I bought these and they do the job...

Simped

I got the f16 usb..but I think the civie variant would of been better as you can rest your feet on the pads with those...

my rcs were the version with no brakes... so with the SIMPEDS, I now have brakes. I did have to do a hall effect sensor mod on the RCS as the pot was crap.

I replaced the pot with another pot, and it worked fine. I think it cost me $2 at some electronics store.

My main spring broke once, so I bought a couple more.

It has been a good setup since replacing the pot. The facotory one was real spikey.

-X

You could use a Saitek Throttle Quadrant along with just about any stick and pedals. I know it won't feel exactly the same as a Collective, but it will give the same control by using two of the levers in your left hand. :)

Edited by TAW_RiEvEr
typo