Sign in to follow this  
LtDiego

Military Operations

Hello guys,

I started working on a campaign called "Military Operations". Basically the player is a private in a small unit that will be put in realistic modern combat situations (not a large scale war).

The first missions will be in a desert setting, but I can't decide witch map to use. I'm shifting my work to map to map and can't figure out what to use.

So I wan't to ask you which desert map is your favourite?

Afghan Everon

CAT Afghanistan

DMA Lybia

or any other suggestions

(tonali is a great map, but too laggy)

On which map would you enjoy playing a campaign more?

Despite liking CAT Afghanistan's extreme terrain more, for a limited war I'd prefer to see DMA Libya used, better use of custom buildings, potential for using the oil workers and installations in the plot, terrain is easier (and safer) to navigate for the Ai etc.

i recommend libya because of various reasons most of which were mentioned, fits with what's going on in the news now as well so that would be exciting. has units for that country already made, etc. just a good choice. Any island with units for its nation is nice.

i recommend libya because of various reasons most of which were mentioned, fits with what's going on in the news now as well so that would be exciting. has units for that country already made, etc. just a good choice. Any island with units for its nation is nice.

There are also some good Taliban addons, and virtually any NATO country has been done in desert camo, so the units for either map aren't a problem.

Thanks for the input guys, right now I'm trying to make a realistic military outpost for this campaign and my God is hard. I just don't find any addon pack that has these objects.

I need higher fences, more fortresses. Got any suggestions?

I can't think of any things like that ... I could make some Hesco barriers, and pre-built fortresses from Hesco material, would take about a week (maybe two if I have other things to do).

Well I don't see many fortresses in the addon comunity so your addon will be appreciated if you want to do it. I for one will love to use an addon like that. Right now, I'm trying to use lot's of sandbags walls as a replacement for fortresses, so Im searching for object addons with sandbags.

Edit:

In fact after 2 days of trying to create a realistic outpost, I figured another approach, more practical

Edited by LtDiego

If you've got Sanc's WW4 mod,there's some hesco bastion objects

available in the editor.Might make a good basis for an outpost.

I was using DMA Libya for a large scale military mission, and it proved to be an excellent choice both from the locations and the map performance.

Also, You might want to have a look how I made use of base assets, mission briefing layout and mission design to bring a realistic feeling to the mission. While the mission was featuring combined arms on a battalion scale BLUEFOR, the capture of different points of the map with smaller platoon sized units and the use of artillery support to crack open enemy lines gave the player the feeling of many small encounters. Ah.. the horror :)

Moreover, if You have the intent to give the player the most realistic combat experience availible in Operation Flashpoint, then You have little other choice then using WGL.

The mission was published at this forum - I believe that it was one of the most complex non-linear missions for this game: Operation Matchball

If you've got Sanc's WW4 mod,there's some hesco bastion objects

available in the editor.Might make a good basis for an outpost.

It's a start, but there are only straight lines supplied. Making something like a lookout post (OP) functional would be hard, not in the least because of clipping. That's the major advantage pre-designed fortifications have over ones made from multiple objects using code to put them in place (was fun though years ago to see what people came up with).

HESCObunker_OP2.jpg

Right now, I'm trying to use lot's of sandbags walls as a replacement for fortresses, so Im searching for object addons with sandbags.

Sandbags are outdated for larger fortifications, barriers like those made by Hesco seem to be the new Lego blocks of (certainly) Western armies.

I posted some progress shots of the objects in my Projects thread

Sandbags are outdated for larger fortifications, barriers like those made by Hesco seem to be the new Lego blocks of (certainly) Western armies.

I posted some progress shots of the objects in my Projects thread

Indeed, they are great, it looks like we'll finally be able to convert OFP into Tetris :cool:

if your interested in modern military fortifications and sangars etc check this site.

http://www.defence-structures.com/glossary.htm

the bw mod also had a Hesco block in it, but it was quite limited what you could do with it.

also for ideas you should look at Britsh Army compounds and towers during the Troubles in northern ireland.