Gunter Severloh

COSLX - An updated version of the original SLX Mod

Seems to work good and some possibly non vanilla behavior like lying soldiers rolling on the ground to

the left or right instead of turning and crawling, some soldiers ducking while moving in combat - is that SLX's things?

Yes the AI lying and rolling on the ground to the left or right instead of turning and crawling, and ducking while moving in combat is from:

SLX_AI_Dodge: Resource for SLX_AI and SLX_ShotEffects. Makes AIs do evasive moves towards cover.

SLX_ShotEffects: People shout and throw close grenades away from themselves if they see the person who threw it,

supersonic bullet "trace" vapor trail,RPG rocket and grenade launcher arming distance, rocket course deviation, vehicle weapons

eject empty casings, AIs dodge away from bullet hits, tracers and

explosives set things on fire. (Disabled: AIs shooting IEDs and mines to detonate them if they see them.)

Dependencies: SLX_AI_Dodge, SLX_NetCode,

both an enemy and a friendly AI in the same yard take some time before they spot each other even

when running directly into one another.

i might have to look into this and see what gives, I think it has to do with something with

SLX_AI: Replaces A2 danger.fsm to improve AI reactions.

SLX_AI_Identify: Lets AI identify obvious object types better (Something in the air is probably an aircraft, etc.), changes AI hearing ranges for vehicles (can't hear someone

sneaking up when inside a tank), changes default threat levels, helps AI spend less time firing on a target they can't hit, makes AI keep low in combat, shoot more than stay in

formation, faster aiming in CQB, calling things by more proper names, special operations people are sneakier/harder to hear, AIs reach waypoints better in vehicles, changes

the default spotability and audibility of vehicle types, makes AIs not attempt to shoot at plane pilots if they can't attack the plane.

but do know that SLX keeps soldiers in crouch mode when in combat.

Yes i can confirm this myself, they do get up and run, and or walk , so its not like they walk around in crouch, its more of a cover thing.

Question

What are your guy's thought if i had setup a devheaven project page so that you guys can report bugs and whatnot,

or should we just keep it on the thread here, I can always just make a list and then any updates i get/make, or figure out then i can just report.

your thoughts.

Current project bug list of fixes, and updates

So far in my list of to do for SLX, is the following:

-SLX_Vehicle effects

Look into SLX vehicle effects to figure out why it crashes, discover any errors ect,.

and try to get the features in it working without it crashing the mod/game.

-Mg_reload

Look into this and find out why reload time is instant rather then slow as it should be.

-SLX_Melee-(current project)

So far i have bayo in the correct slot, but knife does not showup in the player character's hand just binoculars do

-SLX_AI:

-SLX_AI_Identify

both an enemy and a frienly AI in the same yard take some time before they spot each other even when running directly into one another.

Edited by Gnter Severloh

Hi guys have any of you managed to remove the smoke grenade toss.... It is a FPS killer.... I would like to disable it...

Hi folks,

Just looked into the SLX_GL3.pbo for you and found buried in the " f " folder is a SLX_GL3_settings.sqf which according to the instructions below should be put into a scripts folder in Documents\Arma 2\.......

Quote:

Group Link 3 Global Settings Configuration File

Used by SLX_GL3.pbo and SLX_Wounds.pbo

This file should be placed in \<ArmA 2 username folder>\scripts\SLX_GL3\f\

You can set up your preferences for Global Group Link 3 in here.

Uncomment the parts you want to configure by removing the "//" in front of them.

File is loaded at mission start so you can restart the mission to see the changes take effect.

......Further testing seems you don't need to move this file. Placebo. Leave as it is.

Also this gl3.pbo mentions the radio settings.

Still testing, but i got excited and had to post. :bounce3:

Hope this helps you out Gunter.

Cub 1.

Edited by cub1
Changed after more testing.

I don't use SLX_ShotEffects since it's in the 'problematic' folder so I guess some similar scripts are in other ai pbos?

Also what's the problem with shoteffects?

Hi guys have any of you managed to remove the smoke grenade toss.... It is a FPS killer.... I would like to disable it.

As i said Bigstone, I looked at all the files, and theres nothing in reference to the AI infantry to throwing smoke, I cant seem to figure it out,

but again as i said too that the slx_tanksmoke file you can remove and it would stop tank commanders from deploying smoke when

they get ht or shot at, i noted too that even any vehicles will deploy smoke or smoke thrown when vehicles are around.

Try that and see if it helps.

Everybody know's how use this with ace wounding sistem ?

Did you test it with ACE or are you just asking? I suggest run ACE and COSLX and see what type of response you get.

test with ACE alone so you know what happens with ACE, then test with COSLX and see what you get, and then test

together to see if both mods do what they are supposed to do, that will give you your answer.

if you have any errors or anything then post here and lets see what we can figure out.

I don't use SLX_ShotEffects since it's in the 'problematic' folder so I guess some similar scripts are in other ai pbos?

Also what's the problem with shoteffects?

Actually after testing it again there is no issue with it, i think before since I had updated something in SLX wounds or somewhere

else I was getting an RPT error, but its safe to add it.

I am currently getting an rpt error for the rpg7, anyone else?

As far as I know SLX is not compatible with ACE unless you use the stripped down version of it based off of using these. Still seems this way.

\slx_animals.pbo

…\slx_anims.pbo

…\slx_cloud.pbo

…\slx_explosiondust.pbo

…\slx_findcover.pbo

…\slx_fov.pbo

…\slx_netcode.pbo

…\SLX_NoMoveObject.pbo

…\slx_ragdoll.pbo

…\slx_shout.pbo

…\slx_surrender.pbo

…\slx_ai_dodge.pbo

…\slx_ai_identify.pbo

…\slx_ai_noautoengage.pbo

…\slx_ai_steering.pbo

…\slx_anim_crawl.pbo

…\slx_anim_death.pbo

The SLX wounds:

…\slx_animals.pbo

…\slx_anim_injured.pbo

…\slx_mod_man_armor.pbo

…\slx_removefirstaidaction.pbo

…\slx_removehealaction.pbo

…\slx_wounds.pbo

…\slx_wounds_ais.pbo

Edited by stevedrumsdw

If you wanted an ACE compatible version then put both mods together, and see what errors ingame, and in rpt that you get.

follow the errors and codes and it should tell you what files to take out.

Sickboy told me last week that most of SLX features are already in ACE, but as i said before I'm not seeing the SLX effect in

ace in some areas to give me the idea that SLX is doing its thing via their own configs and scripts.

SLX is already stable so thats a plus and a start.

Anyways heres what I'll do I will test ACE and COSLX together and see what comes up in terms of error, or rpt stamp,

then watch ingame to see if SLX is doing what it supposed to,t hen I'll give you my feedback, you guys can do this as

well if you want, but i'd start from where ACE is at now, and SLX is and go from there.

You cant take files out unless you know they aren't working, that be like taking a tire off your car thinking its

got a leak when you cannot confirm that it is leak til you look at it.

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Tested ACE with COSLX, and only issue seen so far was i was unable to give first aid to another soldier and me being a

reg soldier. Also the At4s as at rifleman the AT4 is supposed to drop after fire but it did not, although as another soldier looking back

I seen that that soldier I was (im using team switch) had dropped the AT4.

No Rpt errors ACE or SLX related, but as far as i can tell its working, not to say its all compatible but theres alot of things to test,

like tanks, planes, static weapons ect,.

I got a message that said something like "flatsmoke.p3d is missing" when trying to access UAV camera with shoteffects pbo

In my test mission (13 max-skill USMC soldiers vs. 2x10 low-skill insurgents) USMC also showed much worse survival rate with shoteffects (only 3 survivors) compared to how it usually is (7+, in the following test without it but with AI identify after 2/3 enemies were dead USMC suffered zero casualties)

Tested once so not sure if it wasn't just a bad luck. Maybe this is due to all soldiers moving a bit too much with that module?

I've seen an AI do wide sidesteps (almost small jumps) though - wonder if I can do the same as a human player? It looked pretty sweet and a fast way to move while still watching that direction with the weapon up

Edited by metalcraze

thats with SLX alone?

Its prob a debug error or something of that sort as if you opened the pbo to shot effects,

you would find the file that the error stated was missing, this sort of stuff I ran into when trying to fix it for arma2, its rather annoying.

So what i did is open the pbo, moved all the files out of the 2nd folder into the 1st, and then deleted the 2nd one,

and repboed it, and it fixed it, of course I didn't do that with shot effects.

But i'd liek to know when the file is in the pbo, why that error, or errors like that showup for any file,

any one know why it will say that?

No, that's with full most recent ACE (except SM), JSRS 1.32, ASR AI 1.11

But I never got this kind of error with them ever before.

In shoteffects description it talks about smoke trails so it can be a culprit. Maybe I'll try looking into it too - if it has unmoved files

Also USMC killed everyone and didn't suffer any losses. Pretty impressive. They roll and crouch without shoteffects so it's OK with me.

I've also noticed that AI seems to stick together more when not having direct "engage" orders - good.

The only thing that bothers me so far is a pretty old (august 2010) danger.fsm

BIS could've improved something in it that didn't make it into SLX during it being on hold.

Solus' danger.fsm is quite a web of code though, hard to check for differences for me

No, that's with full most recent ACE (except SM), JSRS 1.32, ASR AI 1.11

with COSLX alone I get no errors.

In shoteffects description it talks about smoke trails so it can be a culprit.

read the description again, theres no reference to smoke trails in there.

SLX_ShotEffects: People shout and throw close grenades away from themselves if they see the person who threw it,

supersonic bullet "trace" vapor trail, RPG rocket and grenade launcher arming distance, rocket course deviation, vehicle weapons eject

empty casings, AIs dodge away from bullet hits, tracers and

explosives set things on fire. (Disabled: AIs shooting IEDs and mines to detonate them if they see them.)

Dependencies: SLX_AI_Dodge, SLX_NetCode, SLX_VehicleEffects (optional).

Also USMC killed everyone and didn't suffer any losses. Pretty impressive. They roll and crouch without shoteffects so it's OK with me.

I've also noticed that AI seems to stick together more when not having direct "engage" orders - good.

Scenarios will vary, as I had a scenario where it was 2 OPFOr squads on 1 Bluefor in a small village on Takistan and both sides took

casualties and wounded, then on the desert map, Bluefor lost a couple and the OPFor lost about 3/4 of there's, all depends,

add a vehicle and the story changes.

The only thing that bothers me so far is a pretty old (august 2010) danger.fsm

BIS could've improved something in it that didn't make it into SLX during it being on hold.

Beyond me, if I knew anything other then to tweak existing stuff If I know what im looking at then nothing i can do,

if you guys know something then your feedback is greatly appreciated, you only help me and yourself help the community using the mod.

from a previous post, back a page:

So does this mean that you're going to try to fix the problems in the SLX_vehicleeffects.pbo?

Nothing to fix, i just tested it and it works, I had no crashes, or even errors, and this was running COSLX, Im amazed,

but i bet it might crash the Arma2 version, something about OA that has better scripting, or it could be CBA doing its thing, IDK but i have no problems.

I tested it with Multiple inf, and multiple tanks, on tanks, and APCs, ect,. and i seen some cool effects, no crashes, or errors as said, try it out!

Put the SLX_vehicleeffects.pbo back into he addons folder. Note this is with COSLX alone!

Edited by Gnter Severloh

I have been experimenting with SLX for a while now prior to Gunter’s great work, so was very happy to see it re-vamped.

I find no problem using it with Ace.

The rolling is indeed a dodge or combat manuever, side stepping is also shown as is a jump forward animation that pops up occasionally (who knows), having tested and observed ai quite a lot it does seem quite advanced, they will fire in the prone position then occasionally roll to right or left and fire again. AI tend to favour the crouch position, however they decide in quite an intelligent way which stance to use, I prefer they crouch & fire more often than stand & fire when in combat.

I must admit I have not come across ai not being aware of each other when in close proximity, in-fact quite the opposite they tend never to be able to get that close as awareness seems very good, although I do have them set pretty high in the skill setting. With the combat mode set to ‘Open Fire’ you can have long drawn out fire-fight’s from quite a distance with slow forward movement when taking ground, flanking is quite prevalent as is cover finding, city fire-fights are very good using cover and roof-top or high positions is very common as are house positions and searches, so no complaints on that front.

I have SLX, GL4 & ASR ai mods working together (in that load order, have tried all sorts of load orders), I can see bits of them all in-game, the accuracy comes from ASR (I think), the house searches and roof top positions tend to be better with GL4, flanking has been great since using GL4 but has improved with SLX, also SLX seems to add much of the rest, cover, dodge, the wounding and moving of injured is very well done with SLX although they can drag injured ‘into fire’ rather than the other way around, the amount of injured rather than killed outright can be a little FPS draining as you have lots of injured withering around on the ground, so the animation must be pulling down fps a certain amount (around 2-3fps in my case although I am lucky to have very good fps). Special effects, if I can put it like that, are very good, although I have the JTD and WarFX Particles mods so they work that side extremely well, especially with Ace..

The injury (impacts & results) from the SLX mod is the best in the game I have seen, higher calibre shots have differing results on impact, so that has to be a good thing, however Arma2 lacks a little regards ‘impact & the result’ side concerning wounds etc, but SLX balances that a little… dismemberment animation is a little extreme but the point is well put by SLX, there is only so much you can do in-game with animations, but loosing limbs in real combat is a massive catastrophic effect of warfare, modern or old, so this is right to be, at least, suggested & shown to some degree..

One of the only problems I have come across since using SLX is sticky figures i.e. a unit will stop dead in animation, still fire and be aware (alive) but unable to move, once killed they drop the weapon but stay in the position they were stuck in, which is always a forward moving stood position.. Not sure what this is or even if it is SLX, could be the mix I have and the load order for the ai mods, still looking at that, maybe someone may be able to shed light on that for me.. (must add that out of say 70ai in city combat I will tend to get 2-3 sticky figures, not always from the start, may happen into the game itself)

I would point out for Gunter that I have not altered anything since his release of COSLX in the folder/files, however before release with the old SLX I removed some of the files mentioned regards bugs but kept re-placing and testing, did not really find a problem with the net-code, I had no freezes or crashes other than the one mentioned above, but I still have that even with the new COSLX so its probably a mix of load order conflicting somewhere on my side. I do not know much about the workings of mods or the game but just ‘test and see’ then remove or replace files dependant on the results I see in-game.

Overall SLX, from what I have observed during my own testing is possibly one of the finest mods of its type for Arma2, so seeing it re-worked is great, will keep observing and testing to see what else pops up in the new COSLX, one thing that most mods do is keep you on your toes, you never quite know what’s going to happen..

Great mod... thanks again..

^^^Good post and agree with the sentiment that SLX really was one of a kind. I really like that soldiers turn quicker, fall faster (and seemingly harder) sometimes getting back up, and really love the fall to his a$$ stunned effect -actually saw the real Iraqi footage that was used to replicate and twas spot on. Gore/dismemberment is a little extreme but I'd rather have a something than nothing in that aspect.

Are you really running SLX/GL4/Asr/Ace/JTD and Warfx? :eek:

I'm amazed that you've gotten them to coorperate AND that your PC hasn't shot itself in the brain from stress!

I've seen units entering buildings (but in aware) even without using slx_gl3 but does GL4 really makes AIs enter them during combat if they think foe is there?

Meaning not by some lucky chance, but by decision

I've seen units entering buildings (but in aware) even without using slx_gl3 but does GL4 really makes AIs enter them during combat if they think foe is there?

Meaning not by some lucky chance, but by decision

No its still more by chance as I asked Snakeman that exact question. Probably until building positions are combined into a collective "known room" in which AI understand the pathfinding -hopefully in Arma3 -I don't think this is fixable.

No its still more by chance as I asked Snakeman that exact question. Probably until building positions are combined into a collective "known room" in which AI understand the pathfinding -hopefully in Arma3 -I don't think this is fixable.

I'm sorry but with respect,

I have had them go into houses and stand at windows, ‘simple test’; using GL4, first group with just one waypoint set to the other end of town/city and one other enemy group on the map a few km’s away, sync both units to the ‘Custom’ GL4 module, take a minor independent role yourself, just to follow the first group during its movement to the waypoint, and watch, the enemy group (check the map) will first go into garrison mode then a little later into reinforcement mode and come to look for the other group (will do this if there is only one enemy unit placed on the map, set up as indicated), while the first group go through town/city with no behaviour changes or any other changes, just set the unit leader to everything ‘No change’, as they go through town they will pick out houses to search, in every test multiple houses. In all the tests I did I always had a unit stand by a window for quite a while, some stood there until the enemy arrived, then instead of coming out of the house after seeing the enemy group the unit instead used the house position to fire from, ‘why’, who knows. I think that given enough tests and you will be surprised at the outcome and behaviour of the ai. Could be by chance but they do it every time using the same setup but don't repeat the same searches or moves, I have always had ai stand near or at windows or doors, even up stairs windows, bonkers I know, but testing is a whole different world, run the same scenario and they just do things differently all of the time.. Makes for very interesting town/city fire fights..

That test was prior to using SLX and done on the ‘Nicosia’ map ‘Trikoupis’ was the town, just GL4 for that test. I see the same behaviour with the two other ai mods added, house searches and the use of high positions is very common, by chance, certainly not with the use of high positions, they seem to take these for position advantage, having a unit on a roof terrace with his group below, all firing towards the enemy positions is common, in-fact more or less every time..

Another, I was testing as a BAF single unit attached to no group, just really to watch, but wanted to be able to join in if I felt like it, I had 70 ai going into combat (35 even sides, BAF v Russian) in ‘City 34’ on the ‘PMC 51km desert’ map, no vegetation so unbelievably good fps rates, great for testing. Anyway, I did get shot and wounded around 20mins into the test whilst on a roof terrace, while I was spending my time watching my character moaning and shuffling around on his back on the floor of the roof terrace, wondering if I should end the test, an enemy unit came up the stairs removed the weapons from my character and stood over-watch on my character, the test was being done with all three ai mods running (SLX, GL4 & ASR). Not chance, I don't think so anyway, he may have been the one who shot my character, I am not sure, he stood over-watch for around 7-8mins before being shot himself, then a unit member from the BAF side came up the stairs and gave first aid to my character, didn't do any good my character was too far gone by then, but why did this happen, I don’t know, but the affect is stunning in-game..

And its common not one off’s..

Place a few snipers within a group and you will have them take high positions and snipe and when you use the ASR mod they are very affective. It may all be down to how much work your PC is putting into the running of the game, we all know it is a challenging game for our PC’s, however pick a lower amount of ai, as I said around 70 or less, on a map that helps your PC, i.e. no clutter or very little, and test, maybe the fact the CPU can put more into the ai control side might be why the difference in behaviour is there, I know some might miss this as their PC may be struggling to handle the game, but most PC’s running this game will cope well if the clutter is kept down, not for missions, more for testing, although city fire fights especially in cities like ‘City 34’ are something to behold, let your PC put the cpu power into the behaviour side (ai).. The results will surprise you I am sure, 'by chance' the character came up the stairs to relieve my character of his weapons and stand over-watch on him, 'by chance' the BAF member came upstairs to give first aid after the enemy unit was shot dead, does not seem or indeed look like chance when your in-game and it happens, and as I have said this is common or the norm if you like, not a one off event..

I always read the read-me for mods, but try other things that maybe should not be done i.e. linking two groups of the opposite sides to the same GL4 module, I don't think that is suggested in the read-me, but all the more reason to try and see what happens, thats why I love testing out the ai, it surprises me every time...

Variety of shots is good: COSLX seems to add more..

Torso

Eye

Cheek

Top of head

Drag him out

Edit: Must start calling it COSLX now, not SLX, old habits die hard, as they say..

Edited by HR4 Elite

Hi HR4,

Just noticed you posted at 4.30am Uk time - and i thought i went to bed late ! ( off topic )

Also wondered what your settings were for GL4 in userconfig, are they default ? I am also using COSLX, GL4 and ASR_AI together with no real problems.

I too have noticed the standing dead pose which happens quite frequently and also friendly AI standing still twitching as though they are firing rapidly.

With SLX I noticed the friendly AI sniper using his pistol in close town combat then switching to his sniper rifle in open country for the long shots - quite cool I thought.

Edited by cub1

Hi HR4,

Just noticed you posted at 4.30am Uk time - and i thought i went to bed late ! ( off topic )

Also wondered what your settings were for GL4 in userconfig, are they default ? I am also using COSLX, GL4 and ASR_AI together with no real problems.

I too have noticed the standing dead pose which happens quite frequently and also friendly AI standing still twitching as though they are firing rapidly.

With SLX I noticed the friendly AI sniper using his pistol in close town combat then switching to his sniper rifle in open country for the long shots - quite cool I thought.

GL3.pbo works for me seemingly without problems.

Ha yes, used to odd times from way back.. sends your body clock out a little..

Yes default, I tend not to alter much but to test as is.. Watching what happens can be an eye opener that’s for sure.. glad someone else has the same problem 'sticky figures', well not glad you understand, but reassured..

Edited by HR4 Elite

Yeah I got that too using the same mods. Not sure which one is causing it.

The rolling is indeed a dodge or combat manuever, side stepping is also shown as is a jump forward

animation that pops up occasionally (who knows),

having tested and observed ai quite a lot it does seem quite advanced, they will fire in the prone position then

occasionally roll to right or left and fire again.

this was discussed a coupe posts back and as i explained was slx_AI dodge that makes the AI do that.

I have SLX, GL4 & ASR ai mods working together (in that load order, have tried all sorts of load orders),

I can see bits of them all in-game,

I have the JTD and WarFX Particles mods so they work that side extremely well, especially with Ace..

You shoudl check out COWarMod, then you wouldn't need the warfx, jtd smoke, or asrAI as they are in CoWarMod,

plus SLX (not the new version though)

One of the only problems I have come across since using SLX is sticky figures i.e. a unit will stop dead in animation,

still fire and be aware (alive) but unable to move, once killed they drop the weapon but stay in the position they were stuck in,

which is always a forward moving stood position.. Not sure what this is or even if it is SLX, could be the mix I have and

the load order for the ai mods,

You said it, because with COSLX alone I do not get this at all, so I believe it has to do with a combination of the AI mods,

i mean you got to think, SLX AI, ASR AI, then you got GL4 which is super AI, 8000 scripts working at once, shit I'd freeze too :D

Are you really running SLX/GL4/Asr/Ace/JTD and Warfx?

Dude what is COWarMod ACE Compatible mean to you? CoWarMod is 221 addon and mods all in one folder, only thing

missing is GL4, and of course ACE you want to keep separate.

Quote:

I too have noticed the standing dead pose which happens quite frequently and also friendly AI standing still

twitching as though they are firing rapidly.

Yeah I got that too using the same mods. Not sure which one is causing it.

Its the combination of the mods your using, SLX alone does do it, and Im sure if you ran ACE alone it wont do it,

and same for GL4 which I also have but not loaded, so its in combination, theres ALOT of AI scripts running for the AI especially GL4!

I noticed it too last night but I'm not using GL4. In fact last night we were very pleased with the new SLX Lite until the OPFOR AI started acting rather weirdly : AI freezing and increasingly long hiccups.

Next week we'll not use SLX Lite to be sure that it is the cause of these errors.

You shoudl check out COWarMod, then you wouldn't need the warfx, jtd smoke, or asrAI as they are in CoWarMod,

plus SLX (not the new version though)

Yeah definetly try COWarMod, it turns arma2 into whole new game

Have you guys tried the slx_vehicleffects.pbo yes with COSLX alone?

I was testing last night for about an hour with various tanks, and apcs, together with inf, and I had no issues.

I'm thinking that the vehicle effects problem is specifically AQrma2 related where the game would CTD on you,

but I had not had that all, I was actually waiting for it to happen :D but it didn't,

then i checked my RPT and there was no SLX errors listed in there.

Well so far this is the current Project for COSLX:

-Mg_reload

Look into this and find out why reload time is instant rather then slow as it should be.

-SLX_Melee-(current project)

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=125858

So far i have bayo in the correct slot, but knife does not showup in the player character's hand just binoculars do

-SLX_AI:

-SLX_AI_Identify

both an enemy and a friendly AI in the same yard take some time before they spot each

other even when running directly into one another.

Any other features, or bugs you find or think you know of one or I should look into please let me know so I can look into it.

and note when you report, report only using COSLX.

Thanks for your support!:)