Sign in to follow this  
sanctuary

WW4 Modpack 2.5

- SmokeShell who block AI view (like JAM one).

hey niki!!!

nice to see u here, why don't u join to us again to play ww4?

this is a VERY GOOD IDEA about smoke!!

PS: i sent a mail couple of days ago and still no answer :.=(

I would like to have an AI blocking smoke grenade, the problem is that i had such thing in the GRAA mod, but after some people reported me GRAA was going CTD during gameplay without them knowing why from time to time, i finally managed to locate what was creating the CTD, and it was ... the AI blocking grenades.

As once they were disabled, there was no more CTD during gameplay.

I had no idea of why it happened, because the worst is that it was not happening everytime i used smoke grenades, only sometime, making debugging this thing basically impossible to me.

I hope one day i'll find why and then how to get them work 100% without CTD, but until then, i'm not including them in ww4

I forgot completely about mortars, will have to look into that again, that's a good idea.

hi,

I would like to have an AI blocking smoke grenade, the problem is that i had such thing in the GRAA mod, but after some people reported me GRAA was going CTD during gameplay without them knowing why from time to time, i finally managed to locate what was creating the CTD, and it was ... the AI blocking grenades.

As once they were disabled, there was no more CTD during gameplay.

I had no idea of why it happened, because the worst is that it was not happening everytime i used smoke grenades, only sometime, making debugging this thing basically impossible to me.

I hope one day i'll find why and then how to get them work 100% without CTD, but until then, i'm not including them in ww4

Ho ok, too bad. I will have a look to the JAM smoke block script. I will try to adapt it to WW4 for personal use and I will send it to you when it's ready.

I forgot completely about mortars, will have to look into that again, that's a good idea.

Very nice. Mortar is devastating when it's well used.

cya.

Nikiller.

EDIT: I found 1 hour to write a little addon (v0.8) for smoke block and it seems to work nicely with some limitations due to ofp. Sometimes the smoke doesn't block AI view because they allready revealed/doTarget their target then AI fire throu the smoke but overall it gives a good cover. No CTD for me. I didn't tested very intensivly and only in the editor then it is possible that problems appear when it will be tested in MP with a lot of players. BTW I used the JAM script with only few modifications but, IMHO, it needs to be recoded for MP. I send you a PM with a link to download.

Edited by Nikiller

hey sanc good job with your mod this is currently my fav mod of all time thanks to you. Now i noticed that the enemy engagement is more advanced and i like it however seeing as they can spot people better i was wondering why not increase the sight of pilots so they can see them miles away. Reason why i mention this is because pilots have better vision then most people in the world and i was wondering why not modify that so when lets say an ah1 comes across a squad of russians they already know they are there so they can engage them better instead of flying around them. I know you have addons that help with that but i like playing the campaign alot. Show me the line of code that does that for the pilots and i'll do the rest

If you want to make attack choppers and tanks a realistic threat, set irTarget=1; in file bin/config.cpp, under class Man:Land :D

It was rather fun when i tried :)

The major problem is that helo AI is completely stupid when meeting soldiers, that's mostly due to the ridiculous "CHARGE !!!!" behaviour of the helicopter that charge right into the target.

... while the gunner is often unable to get his aiming sight on it in time with the ever changing angle of fire the "CHARGE !!!!" behaviour lead into , and because the gunner AI takes for unknown reason lot of time before pressing his own shoot button, often when the helicopter is finally ready to open fire, the target is already behind it.

My solutions for that was to :

-give a higher sensitivity to the helicopter and pilots classes, i suggest

sensitivity=30;

That i use in the ww4bisveh.pbo for the ww4 version of the helicopter.

Do not change the sensitivityEar, i noticed that by making it too high was making the helicopter simply unwilling to move to attack anything for unknown reason.

-while the sensitivity helps the idiot helo AI to understand there are infantry soldiers in front of it, it does not help a lot with the "CHARGE !!!!" behaviour screwing up the slow AI gunner.

To work around this, making the helo turret able to move at 360 degree is helping a lot to make the helo a threat for infantry, because as the slow AI gunner is often ready only when the helo has already moved above the target, it will be able to shoot if the turret can look behind too.

To do so, in a helicopter class, find the class Turret or TurretBase of it, and make those change

minElev=-60;
		maxElev=30;
		minTurn=-360;
		maxTurn=360;

-finally, you have the weapon themselves, if you put yourself as a gunner in an AI chopper, you'll notice the pilot ask you to change weapon a lot, that because the range never cease to change, and in the CfgAmmo sections, some weapon ammo have different kind of min/med/max ranges, that make the helicopter wanting to use more some specific ammo than other at specific ranges.

You may then need to edit those

By example, for the ww4 ah1 3 weapons ammo , i set those

class ww4_Bulletah1GP:Bullet30W
	{
	airLock=1;
	hit=40;
	indirectHit=10;
	indirectHitRange=2;
	minRange=10;
	minRangeProbab=0.8;
	midRange=250;
	midRangeProbab=0.9;
	maxRange=2000;
	maxRangeProbab=0.5;
	tracerColor[]={0.8,0.5,0.1,0.25};
	tracerColorR[]={0.8,0.5,0.1,0.25};
cost=1;
	};

class ww4_Hellfireah1:Hellfire
	{
	hit=800;
	indirectHit=420;
	indirectHitRange=2.5;
	minRange=50;
	minRangeProbab=0.01;
	midRange=250;
	midRangeProbab=0.3;
	maxRange=3500;
	maxRangeProbab=0.9;
cost=9000;
	};

class ww4_Zuni:Zuni
	{
	hit=550;
	indirectHit=300;
	indirectHitRange=3;
	minRange=10;
	minRangeProbab=0.1;
	midRange=250;
	midRangeProbab=0.25;
	maxRange=800;
	maxRangeProbab=0.15;
	maxSpeed=1000;
cost=4000;
	};

I'm not finished in trying to find better value, always tweaking and testing, so far it seems to work.

But that's not easy considering you have to think that whatever you do, remember that an helicopter does not only engage infantry, and if it start only using machineguns on tanks, that's not going to do good.

i see so regardless if i change the sensitivity it wont do nothing it will just make the heli move faster that sucks. I'm gonna play around with it see which is the best i may stick to default if worse comes to worse. BTW i am making a modern warfare conversion using your mod and addons so far i got the infantry down just got to change the weapons looking for some weapons in your mod that will be good to use. Any suggestions on weapons to use for infantry?

my personal favourites the FAMAS on west and the GROZA on east side (both in acog version).

my personal favourites the FAMAS on west and the GROZA on east side (both in acog version).

the famas is not the official US service rifle im thinking adding acog m16 along with the xm177e2 as the M4 as for the russians i can probably put that under the spetz natz column

All addons are from ww4 mod i am not putting any outside addons into this mod because in doing so i have to ask the permission of the addon maker and sanc if its ok to use

Infantry is done but it seems that pilots and crews dont have the acu uniform so when releasing this config they are gonna have the BDU outfits shouldnt be too much of an issue. As for weapons im having trouble locating the config file that allows me to use to change the weapons looks and ironsights i may have to use an old config way back which only had the iron sights and looks from GRAA

Sanctuary, I'm using your mod in ECP. I love the ability to lean and roll etc... Thank You for that.

I was wonder if its possible to allow voice radio messages to be turned off while in a vehicle but leave it on when on foot? I find that barking orders while in a tank, etc.. lags the actions but on foot I don't mind them. BTW with your mod IN ECP the radio voice is heard by default...

I was also wondering if it would be possible to have the enemys fire more dispersed? Like if I'm lying down, I would think some of the enmys shots land around me or in front of me, not always hitting. This would be good to exercise a roll move or getup and take off. I always found the dispersion very minimal in the ofp game, leaves no time to react and have fun, you basically get hit with every-shot that the enemy fired at you, then you die. For an example, the enemy shoots a burst, 4 shots, so maybe a few land beside me or something, then I have some warning to react with a roll, etc...

Okay thanks for your time, hopefully I'll keep an eye on this thread for updates, and thank you for this mod and for making work with ECP!

Thank you for the mirror.

I was wonder if its possible to allow voice radio messages to be turned off while in a vehicle but leave it on when on foot? I find that barking orders while in a tank, etc.. lags the actions but on foot I don't mind them. BTW with your mod IN ECP the radio voice is heard by default...

I don't think it's possible to turn them off only inside of vehicles but not on foot, as they use the same sound files defined in the class Words of the class CfgVoice

For ECP, i didn't bothered to turn them off, maybe for patch 2 or WW4 2.6 (as i'm unsure if i should release it as a patch or as a new version, considering nearly all files have got modifications) i'll release 2 version of the WW4-ECP config, to keep voice enabled or not.

I was also wondering if it would be possible to have the enemys fire more dispersed? Like if I'm lying down, I would think some of the enmys shots land around me or in front of me, not always hitting. This would be good to exercise a roll move or getup and take off. I always found the dispersion very minimal in the ofp game, leaves no time to react and have fun, you basically get hit with every-shot that the enemy fired at you, then you die. For an example, the enemy shoots a burst, 4 shots, so maybe a few land beside me or something, then I have some warning to react with a roll, etc...

There are HD (high dispersion) version of every ammo, but you need to give the ammo to the AI yourself, there's no automated version to replace every ammo in a mission by their HD version.

The ammo class names are all shown in the WeaponClasses.txt found in the Classnames subfolder of the ww4 directory.

I remember months ago i released some test pbo in which i replaced the WW4 troops regular ammo by the HD version, don't remember the thread and don't have the files anymore, so you should look in the search engine in the hope the package is always up somewhere.

Well, all this sounds a little disappointing...

My other beefs with OFP are that soldiers with iron sites can take out a sniper at very long ranges, I guess this is where dispersion would help. Even when the sniper has a hard time hitting a target at long ranges the AI does a small burst and takes out the sniper.

Also is there anyway to make the snipers camo more hard to see for the ai? Cause it seems like the ai can pick out a sniper fairly well even when hes not moving. I forgot whats it called, the setting for this...

And finely, fallen trees seem not to provide any cover, once the tree is laying on the ground, its like the AI can see through it with no problem.

Okay, thanks for answering my previous questions.

Something to test :

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bci4ug

In the archive, there's an updated ww4_magazines.pbo that has the following :

- all weapons have increased dexterity, meaning they're easier to move around the screen, allowing the AI to shoot more quickly, hesitating less before doing so. I didn't go higher than dexterity 3 for some weapons, as it would make the weapon too fast to move around.

- increased dispersion for non-HD ammo, not very noticable for the human player, as it's always far from HD ammo, it helps in several situation in which i noticed AI shooting a whole mag over the head of a soldier that was lying on the ground at less than 50m and may make the AI more willing to open fire too , and probably a bit less accurate a long distance (or having more lucky shots if you're unlucky :) )

- while increasing dispersion, i noticed mostly for eastern ammo that the full auto firemode had wrong dispersion, that's fixed as it should be too.

- badly named muzzle classnames modified for some weapon to be on par with the weapon classname convention itself

I quickly tested it out with the WW4 Mod (no ECP) and it didn't seem to effect anything noticeable, I died pretty quick with no noticable missing shots around me. I played the In game OFP Battlefield mission. When I picked up an enemy rifle, I don't think I hit anything. ECP doesn't recoil?? as much when shooting so I'll try it in that.

I'll have to try it out with ECP and WW4, I just have to get it on all the computers in the house first, cause we play lan.

Alright just played WW4 IN ECP with this new weapons mag pbo , I played Battlefields in game mission and got very far into it. The wavering of the gun is not very much in ECP compared to the WW4 mod so when I picked up an enemy rifle was was able to shoot down the enemy. I never got shot at that I know of until the bmps came and shot me.

I'll have to experiment more to see if I get the rounds hitting just near me when lying down, probably when we play on the lan.

Edited by Mark_OFP

We played lan game.

The AI seems to not shoot at long ranges, and when i was running some of the shots flew by instead of all the shots hitting me.

So there seems to be a difference.

If you're playing with the OFP Battlefield mission, you're playing with BIS weapons and units, they don't have modified value, i kept the BIS units and weapons unmodified for mission compatibility.

WW4 weapons settings only affect WW4 troops carrying them, not the BIS ones.

Hi Sanctuary,

I tried C02:Battlefields in vanilla and with WW4Mod - its different as chalk and cheese. With WW4Mod its close to impossible to get even close to these sandbags and obstacles, holding this line alone or with 2-3 others is suicide. Just try it out - as good old veteran! ;)

The only thing i can think is that with the mod the soldiers are a little more aware of their surroundings, not as much as WW4 troops though, but enough so you don't just kill them easily by dozen at 100m with them not able to see you're shooting at them.

But that work both way, for the enemy and for the allied troops in that mission, so even if the enemy is a bit stronger, the attackers are stronger too.

Battlefield has always been a mission in which you need lot of luck anyways, conquer the center but with the allied troops nearly all dead, and you're not going to resist the armor counter attack.

If the allied armors are killed too quickly, you're going to go through lot of allied casualties and will not defend against the counter attack with enough men.

Best way to do is to train with your M202 until you're able to shoot with it accurately, because ideally you must take out the enemy carrying AT weapons, so your allied armor may survive long enough to help decimate the center without too much soldier dead on your side.

After that, a good idea is to climb that hill to find the enemy sniper, very helpfull to use a SVD scope instead of the M16 sight when it comes to get rid of soldiers.

Well I observed that the AI don't use the grenade launchers (incl. MM-1/6G30) and AT's that often to their advantage. The player has only 3 grenades and thats not really devastating or shocking the enemy in this mission. Allied tanks are killed much faster with WW4 in C02:Battlefields.

Allied troops are getting killed much faster too and the few who left run away or just aren't able to fight anymore. Most of them don't even fire a shot or only one or two times before they get hit/killed. Perhaps something got changed with weapon range/use of weapons for AI?

Speaking of Battlefield oldie, the most effective solution is to kill a friendly unit, carrying a MM-1 grenade launcher, at the start of operation, then proceed to any safe cover and nade all of them. From my playing experience this has proven a lot of times to be sucessful. I know it's cheating somewhat, but that doesn't matter, to be honest, because player saves lots of others lifes by killing only a single unit. As Sanctuary already told, after nading session it's time to borrow sniper's toy and use it wisely.

Other OFP missions are affected too its like WW4Mod increases the default AI awareness (and precision?) a little bit too much for some vanilla missions. :)

Another way to finish C02:Battlefields (no need to cheat):

1) use + kill some enemy soldiers with the 203

2) get a LAW from a killed friendly soldier

3) destroy BMP

4) get behind some sandbags and kill some more

4a) grab a 6G30 and use it

5) grab an RPG7 + 4 RPGs and get into cover

6) destroy armored vehicles

7) go get the sniper

8) happy hunting + finish

Seems that the AI only use AT launchers and grenades (rifle, launcher) at short/close range. Otherwise they would destroy the BMP (close to Ural, BRDM) and kill enemy groups much faster and from longer range.

Anyway enjoying this mod and hope we will see some more in next update(s) eg smoke grenades with viewblock or other little useful things. Thanks Sanctuary!!

I wrote this quite a time ago:

What really would be useful is automatically going into optics when switching from gun to bino (first time) but that's Fwatch-only.

I've made a ww4binoc.sqs script that will make binoculars behave like in original. Requires Fwatch 1.1.

The way to add it is through soldier init eventhandler. If you don't want to do it by hand then download replacement files.

The WW4 goal regarding the AI is to make the battle more difficult with the WW4 troops, the BIS troops being mostly untouched they should just be a little bit more difficult but mostly in a similar way as vanilla game.

In vanilla it was too easy to score dozen of kills if you were at roughly more then 250m from an AI group, because all the vanilla rifles ammo have maxrange at 250m (in burst mode), meaning the AI is simply unable to shoot at anything beyond that, making them sitting duck in your sight.

The BIS LAW launcher ammo has a maxrange of 250m too, meaning the AI is unable to use it at more than 250m and in the Battlefield mission, the BMP is at 500m.

So it's not surprising the allied AI carrying LAW gets killed as they have to run +/- 250m in what is a completely open field between them and the BMP with no cover or anything hiding them from the BMP view (as the little forest is not between the BMP and the soldiers)

That's a mission design fault that does not take in account that once an AI is ordered by the AI leader to attack the BMP with the BIS ammo settings, it will run in that completely open field and will get very easily killed by the armor.