Dwarden

Development Blog & Reveals

So, you can subscribe to the mods you use via Steam workshop, and when they get updated, Steam downloads the update automatically? That would be just awesome.

Wah ffff I wish I could be at gamescom, but just visiting for Arma 3 was too much of a hassle and investment.

I am very much looking forward to seeing Altis, though.

first Mission (tho for SWS was used Scenario) ... next ones would be Campaign, then Terrain then rest of addon types ...

---------- Post added at 19:10 ---------- Previous post was at 19:09 ----------

So, you can subscribe to the mods you use via Steam workshop, and when they get updated, Steam downloads the update automatically? That would be just awesome.

first you need test such thing for downloading missions, as it will elevate the load from servers to http/workshop mirrors

It should be noted that not all of the work seen on development branch will make it into the 1.00 release version.

Will there be any beta patches or dev branch on release that will include those changes? Or we have to wait for example 1.01?

Will there be any beta patches or dev branch on release that will include those changes? Or we have to wait for example 1.01?

The Dev Branch already contains fixes and changes, the point being made is that not all of these things are guaranteed to make it into 1.00.

It's a selective process. Fixes in dev branch that we can merge with a good deal of confidence, or can afford the time to test properly, or simply have to be included because they're critical, will be included.

Or, put another way, all fixes are equal, but some fixes are more equal than others. :cool:

Best,

RiE

first you need test such thing for downloading missions, as it will elevate the load from servers to http/workshop mirrors

Ok, thanks for the explanation. Sounds like it will be a great system once it is fully implemented.

The Dev Branch already contains fixes and changes, the point being made is that not all of these things are guaranteed to make it into 1.00.

It's a selective process. Fixes in dev branch that we can merge with a good deal of confidence, or can afford the time to test properly, or simply have to be included because they're critical, will be included.

Or, put another way, all fixes are equal, but some fixes are more equal than others. :cool:

Best,

RiE

So, in other words, Dev Branch stays dev branch and 1.00 is like the release day stable branch update? Or, in even other words, Dev Branch fixes aren't going away with 1.00 release, right?

Best,

RiE

Will all dev branch fixes make it into the dev branch version of the release, with Altis and everything?

So, in other words, Dev Branch stays dev branch and 1.00 is like the release day stable branch update? Or, in even other words, Dev Branch fixes aren't going away with 1.00 release, right?
Will all dev branch fixes make it into the dev branch version of the release, with Altis and everything?

RiE just answered that... not all dev branch fixes will make it into stable. Only fixes they know for certain won't affect/break other areas.

Consider the current dev branch to be an entirely separate and unrelated game you're playing till ArmA3, a super secret project, comes out in 26 days or so.

I read up on those links and I have to say if the Workshop is to download not only missions but for mod packs to a client from a re-directed site, then I am all for this - full steam ahead. Heck, I was once a UT Server admin (for a old UT MOD called Infiltration) and "http server re-direct with compressed files" was a such a time saver and ease of use for game clients.

Not a lot, but some of us, remember...

/old Infiltration player

And yeah, mod integration and automation with Steam will be great. If it see a cool mission, I want to click on it and Steam should download the mission and the required mods, same for the server, it would be great if it would serve the mods automatically.

Not a lot, but some of us, remember...

/old Infiltration player

And yeah, mod integration and automation with Steam will be great. If it see a cool mission, I want to click on it and Steam should download the mission and the required mods, same for the server, it would be great if it would serve the mods automatically.

Some people would not want their mods on Steam, we should have an alternative option using Armaholic that doesn't have to go through steam.

Some people would not want their mods on Steam, we should have an alternative option using Armaholic that doesn't have to go through steam.

Well, I'm pretty sure it'll be optional. Like, how the current mission publishing is optional... But, yeah, the mission downloading shouldn't automatically download any mods unless they are on the workshop. And there needs to be some way to make sure that people aren't publishing others' mods on the workshop.

Uh? It's already optional, missions can be downloaded through Steam or just copying and pasting the files (Armaholic, etc). The same would apply in case mods are introduced on Steam Workshop.

Just ran across this, looks like someone stole the Arma 3 tagline. ;)

MmxDpxvl.jpg

Edited by Sniperwolf572

Ohhh, just imagine BI sueing 2K Marine, getting a shitload of money, and then investing it on ArmA III!

Yay!

They stole your catchphrase

And it's not even a good one. I liked InstaGoat's "ADAPT / EVOLVE / PREVAIL" much better. They should just switch to that and let XCOM have the old one. ;)

And it's not even a good one. I liked InstaGoat's "ADAPT / EVOLVE / PREVAIL" much better. They should just switch to that and let XCOM have the old one. ;)

Prevail sounds so much better than win.

Let's have a look at Stratis in the rain...

• Current state of rain enabled

Let's have a look at Stratis in the rain...

It was time that they enabled it. Hopefully we get snow, not just snowfall, too. :) A military sandbox need authentic weather. And environment. And basically authentic everything.

Thanks for bringing the Rain back. I have several problems with it (BIS are now :j: rolling their eyes) and I know it's a WIP. Two things need to happen with the rain:

1) The Rain is only local to the player. It looks like one of those Hollywood movies on a partly cloudy day where they have some machine out of camera producing the rain while in the background it is clear as a bell......you can see the rain falling around the actor, but 20 yards away there is no rain and the ground is dry. In the game, I pulled up my 'spotter' binoculars and focused on a roof and some pavement 200 meters away, no rain drops hitting the ground.... I then teleported to the pavement I was looking at to make sure it was raining there....and it was raining there, but I could not see the rain when I was looking at it in the binoculars. At the bare minimum, the suggestion would be to have some kind of light fog in the distance to make it look like rain is going on at a distance.

2) No Rain drop effects on the surface of the water. Yes, that's asking too much, but I thought I'd mention it. Also, how about puddles of water after a long period (BIS is now going to smack me :p). Anyway, carry on.

Edited by rehtus777

Thanks for bringing the Rain back. I several problems with it (BIS are now :j: rolling their eyes) and I know it's a WIP. Two things need to happen with the rain:

1) The Rain is only local to the player. It looks like one of those Hollywood movies on a partly cloudy day where they have some machine out of camera producing the rain while in the background it is clear as a bell......you can see the rain falling around the actor, but 20 yards away there is no rain and the ground is dry. Suggestion would be to have some kind of light fog in the distance to make it look like rain is going on at a distance.

2) No Rain drop effects on the surface of the water. Yes, that's asking too much, but I thought I'd mention it. Also, how about puddles of water after a long period (BIS is now going to smack me :p). Anyway, carry on.

^ all of this.

^ all of this.

Agree here - although it is just a visual "effect" so to speak, having nice looking rain really brings the immersion in and sets the atmosphere.