Sign in to follow this  
purepassion

"Normal Mapping": What is this and where are its possibilities?

BIS introduced a new engine feature: Normal Mapping

Normal Mapping vs NM disabled

What exactly is this normal mapping and where is its potential, also regarding Arma 3?

I am really not an expert but after a quick research i found out that this is similar to the Bumpmapping and is used to add details without creating an higher amount of polygons.

I really like to see how the RV engine is evolving week for week and look forward to the finished products!

I am really not an expert but after a quick research i found out that this is similar to the Bumpmapping and is used to add details without creating an higher amount of polygons.

It is the same like Bumpmapping. The Vehicles,Units and most objects use it since Arma 1. But the usage with Ground-textures is new i guess.

The Landmass looks much more realistic with all the details.

Here is a simple example http://www.independentdeveloper.com/images/normalmapper.jpg

Basicly a normal map is a shader-texture that interacts with a light source, projecting the lighting and shading of a model rather than having it painted into the diffuse texture..so if a character is wearing clothing and you paint the creases in diffuse, they will remain with the same lighting and shading at all times regardless of direction and proximity to a light source. But with a normal map it will change.

Ground textures have been using normal maps since A1 but only at ground level.

allows detail which is sub-gridsize. Now the detail is texture pixel size.

Can anyone post a screenshot of Normal Mapping in ground textures in TOH and how that looks superior to what we see in Arma 2?

you can find a comparison gif by clicking on "Normal Mapping vs NM disabled" of the TOH asian Terrain.

displacement > normal mapping (DX10 or higher required). Anyways, maybe A3