Raunhofer

Raunhofer's - Island Project 3

blaiseendfront.jpg

CARIBOU FRONTIER

Initialization

Perhaps some of you have noticed how the details of the official islands have gone down after Chernarus? There are fewer trees and the whole gameseries is turning from intense guerilla style warfare into a more driving around in tanks without any fear of the infantry. I took the reverse approach. In my project the lone infantryman is the most lethal killingmachine on the battlefield. Terrain where the infantrysoldier may hide in and armour is never totally dominant.

Now, after long time of work, the forrests are starting to look realistic and the contours are ready. My guiding principle has been to avoid the "copypaste" method, all objects are put in place manually and with great care.

The terrain has pits and hills. If you see enemy armour, you can hit the deck and take cover behind some embankment.

Worried about if your PC can handle the new island? No worries, I will make sure the island runs just as smooth as Thirsk did.

More accurate details:

Total size: 8192 x 8192m

Habitants: Abadonded due to military activity

Vegetation: Rugged, mountaineous

Conflict: Oil crisis

Release: d18 m08 y2013

Then the best part!

Click here to download High-Quality version (967 Mb)

caribou_oilfire_pre.jpg

caribou_dawn_pre.jpg

caribou_tower_pre.jpg

caribou_factory_pre.jpg

And then the self-evident information:

This island is WIP (Work In Progress). Everything you see in these pictures may change during progress. Hold your seats and hope for the better tomorrow and final version of the island !

Edited by Raunhofer

Nice to see another island from you, Can't wait for it.

Worried about AI and their pathfinding on this great looking island. Will they get stucked/"glued" in some places or will they have enough space to walk around/find another way? :)

Worried about AI and their pathfinding on this great looking island. Will they get stucked/"glued" in some places or will they have enough space to walk around/find another way? :)

No need to worry. After many hours of playtesting AI seems to handle the island great.

solstheim ..... morrowind ?

anyways, nice job man, i can't wait to play on this map, but one question ... how much big it is ?

No perkele...

Borderline included? :)

Nice. I was expecting more Finnish islands maybe, but this US / Russia owned island seems like a nice idea too.

Will we see some research stations or mines? There has to be something that intrest both USA, and Russia. :p

You should post a larger version of the pix?

Also: hoolyey shit. I found Thirsk to be very good, but the size was a bit of a letdown. It's hard to make a beliveable mission on it when you can cross it in 5 minutes. :) So if you put all the islands in the same map, it would be great.

Edited by ziiip

Raunhofer Returns!!! :D

Excellent!

I spent quite some time telling everybody who'd listen just how good Thirsk & Thirsk Winter were... a major inspiration for my own terrain work... thoughtful vegetation & object placement - everything carefully considered and balanced... a Landscape you start to believe in, rather than a Play Area With Objects to hide behind.... Unbelievably hard to achieve!...

I expect to see screenshots you'd swear were photographs... oh, you've done that already! ;)... Dammit, now I'll have to go worry about my current project all over again... the bar just got raised... again... :)

Welcome back Raunhofer!

B

I found Thirsk to be very good, but the size was a bit of a letdown. It's hard to make a beliveable mission on it when you can cross it in 5 minutes. :) So if you put all the islands in the same map, it would be great.

Agreed, Terrains are better than islands imho, but its up to the maker i guess.

This is very exiting, looking forward to fighting in a forest that one could not play golf in :) Good luck with the project!

That looks awesome. Unfortunately opening the screenshots melted my graphics card.

In all seriousness though, I think it's a very good idea to place a lot of bushes and short trees, rather than a whole forest. That allows for a cluttered, realistic woodland battle without the AI just seeing through the inaccurate viewblock of the canopy trees.

looks amazing. going to be good from the appearances!

Good to see you back R!

Good luck finishing it. And please do it fast will you. :D (kidding).

Very nice. Proving grounds did have some interesting ground detail, making it possible to take cover easily, and you could see enemies darting up and down through the terrain. Proving grounds also had a first for Arma, elevated roads. Real life roads are elivated to allow water to drain into the ditches. It was quite nice to build some missions that took advantage of taking cover in a roadside ditch. Although it seems Proving grounds ground textures were blurry.

In other words, if your (already amazing looking) map can have these features, I think I'll be enjoying it quite a bit.

Best of luck, looking forward to it!

Your islands have always been a personal favorite of mine because they were believable. You could easily pass Thirsk off as an official island. This is going to surpass Thirsk by the looks of it!