Sign in to follow this  
doonbugie

Merkava... IDF??

What if the 'Persian power' that is portrayed in ARMA III is actually able to steal military secrets and develop the turret of the real world Merkava from the alternative to Isreal in the Arma-verse in secret... or ....With advances in tank technology stolen via cyber attacks by 'Big Red' - which is then sold on the open market the new hybrid tank is developed. After all the 'Persian power' being portrayed in this 'ARMA-verse' could have made alliances to allow it to harvest stolen tech to then grow a formidable force that could conquer the region and move west...it's all speculation after all, so who knows.

One thing that we do need to keep on top of is that what ever we are seeing in this next instalment is going to be 'fictional'. The Merkava influenced tank is likely to be have tech and design influences from different sources. We need to be mindful that there is likely to be a Hybrid centric design aspect to all the concepts that BI are working on for ARMA III.

To clear things up, was watching trailers when I saw this.

iranf.jpg

Seems like Iran took over Israel or something and is using their vehicles now? Because I spotted the Namer, Merkava and Achzarit.

Maybe Iran has gone Communist and athiest, and Iran sold them their technology.

BIS seems incapable of making bad guys who aren't Communist, from the Chedaki to the Takistanis. Both regimes had twenty years of global capitalism and post-Soviet politics to become generic nationalist authoritarian regimes, but magically kept the faith.

Well, anything is possible since this is sci fi and BIS can make their own story that doesnt have to follow actual historic or modern day lines.

No, it isn't sci-fi.

Anyway, we have a mission editor, and it isn't hard to make missions based on the stories of the BIS campaigns either. So if BIS doesn't say why Iran has Israeli tech, you can just make it up yourself in your own missions (In briefings maybe? No restrictions in the editor going by A2). If they don't say anything official, anything can go.

Well, anything is possible since this is sci fi and BIS can make their own story that doesnt have to follow actual historic or modern day lines.

Sci fi? I take it you haven't seen many of things developed in the 80's-90's and today, they could be using far crazier designs that actually do exist.

Edited by NodUnit

As much as I am looking forward to the Merkava 4M with Trophy, I am even more excited by the prospect of the Namer with Iron Fist. Imagine thinking the APC will be an easy kill for your tank, only to have your KE shell blasted out of the sky (or bounce off) and having several Spike missiles rain hell on you.

Edited by Brute Force

As much as I am looking forward to the Merkava 4M with Trophy, I am even more excited by the prospect of the Namer with Iron Fist. Imagine thinking the APC will be an easy kill for your tank, only to have you KE shell blasted out of the sky (or bounce off) and having several Spike missiles rain hell on you.

I-came-ghostbuster.jpg

You have my attention

"If Uziyahu-IDF is suggesting Antisemitism is on the rise he and his countrymen might do well to wonder what's fueling that."

I'm an American citizen who served in the United States Army, just for future reference.

Your own words "Fueling that" answered your own question, I think. (Hint: Israelis aren't the ones with oil.)

And to stay on-topic, I'm sure we'll see some oil rigs on Limnos. It just wouldn't be a high-value objective without them.

"If Uziyahu-IDF is suggesting Antisemitism is on the rise he and his countrymen might do well to wonder what's fueling that."

I'm an American citizen who served in the United States Army, just for future reference.

Your own words "Fueling that" answered your own question, I think. (Hint: Israelis aren't the ones with oil.)

And to stay on-topic, I'm sure we'll see some oil rigs on Limnos. It just wouldn't be a high-value objective without them.

While they don't want to spoil things we already know that's not the case, they are there for secret tech to help turn the tide of a losing battle. Just curious though, if you're American and served in the US army why have IDF in your name?

While they don't want to spoil things we already know that's not the case, they are there for secret tech to help turn the tide of a losing battle. Just curious though, if you're American and served in the US army why have IDF in your name?

probably because he plays with an idf group?

No, it isn't sci-fi..

Science Fiction

Works of fiction that use scientific discoveries or advanced technology — either actual or imaginary — as part of their plot.
Fiction dealing principally with the impact of actual or imagined science on society or individuals, or more generally, literary fantasy including a scientific factor as an essential orienting component.

ArmA 3 falls under the "Sci-Fi" category. It's set well into the future, they are using advanced technology, fictional aircraft, equipment that never made it into production etc. etc.

Personally I like to look at it as an parallel universe sort of game. Events are very close to what happens in our dimension, but with small changes here and there that can lead to glaring differences.

OT: I think that the "Slammer" is just the Iranian name for a captured Israeli vehicle, or even one that they started manufacturing after they captured Israeli factorys. (If they overran Israel that is.)

Hi, i think that the Merkava's election goes in the line of choose a diferent, new, fictional and interesting new line/aproach for the next game; like the exagonal camo or the uggly FN-2000s in the hands of yankee soldiers. The only flags that i've seen until now are subdued yankee flags and italian shoulder flags. I like the selection of Merkava & Namer Mk.1, aswell the MI-28N & RAH-66, everything as fictional as usefull. Let's C ya

B.I. rarely discards complex models, especially animated ones. This is why I am guessing you'll be seeing at least a few oil rigs on Limnos.

(I saw a few in a narrow valley in Utah, once.)

And yes, I hosted an IDF-themed squad starting in 2002 or 2003. The worst thing about trying to game with Israelis is the time-zone difference. It's more of an issue than the lag, in my opinion.

Science Fiction

ArmA 3 falls under the "Sci-Fi" category. It's set well into the future, they are using advanced technology, fictional aircraft, equipment that never made it into production etc. etc.

Personally I like to look at it as an parallel universe sort of game. Events are very close to what happens in our dimension, but with small changes here and there that can lead to glaring differences.

OT: I think that the "Slammer" is just the Iranian name for a captured Israeli vehicle, or even one that they started manufacturing after they captured Israeli factorys. (If they overran Israel that is.)

Wrong. Maybe En(gineering)-Fi or De(sign)-Fi, but the science behind it is pretty solid and established. Pure scifi is more tech that let's you go faster than light and time travel, that's made up. A chopper that looks weird just somehow doesn't fit in the same category.

B.I. rarely discards complex models, especially animated ones. This is why I am guessing you'll be seeing at least a few oil rigs on Limnos.

(I saw a few in a narrow valley in Utah, once.)

And yes, I hosted an IDF-themed squad starting in 2002 or 2003. The worst thing about trying to game with Israelis is the time-zone difference. It's more of an issue than the lag, in my opinion.

I'd like to think that just cuz they have a model that does not mean they must use it. If Lemnos has no oil rigs then I expect to see none, unless they have added them in the armaverse to suit their needs.

There is lots and lots of unexploited oil in the Aegean.

One of the main reasons for the common standoffs and disputes between Greece and Turkey.

But this is way off topic.

There is lots and lots of unexploited oil in the Aegean.

One of the main reasons for the common standoffs and disputes between Greece and Turkey.

But this is way off topic.

i like how so off topic it is. I would cry with joy if we got a couple of oil rigs off the coast of Lemnos...

Just take aside any connection to real world in ArmA III. The whole setting is highly fictional with fictional forces, fictional conflict and fictional weaponry.

it is FICTION and since it is the 2020's is is Science fiction so there is no need to discuss any of it.

ArmA III is a SCIENCE FICTION shooter like Aliens: Colonial Marines. get it.

By this logic, anything set in the past is historic fiction.

Probably been said before but in the E3 videos the israeli vehicles seem to be driven by Iranian soldiers (going by the flags on the uniforms). Also going by the map shown at E3 it seems like iran has allready taken israel (and has borrowed some of there vehicles). probably too much speculation on my part though.

Is there anybody there have thought about that yes we are seeing iranians soldiers in IDF vehicles and weaponry, but it could be because the IDF units still are under development and therefor they was just showing what they got so far...

Could be we get Iran as OpFor and IDF as Independent...! (my little hope :))

Wrong. Maybe En(gineering)-Fi or De(sign)-Fi, but the science behind it is pretty solid and established. Pure scifi is more tech that let's you go faster than light and time travel, that's made up. A chopper that looks weird just somehow doesn't fit in the same category.

I'm not an expert on this subject but I've done some research and I think I've come to a conclusion. It's basically, what Soul_Assassin has said. There must be some sort of fictional technology involved for something to be called Science Fiction. ArmA 3 doesn't seem to have any sort of fictional technology, as far as we know. People say the Commanche is fictional technology, but that is not true, seeing as how the Commanche has been built and tested in real life. The Commanche exists, it's not fiction. But the Commanche is important in helping to define what genre ArmA 3 is.

So what genre is ArmA 3? It seems to be Alternate History. Why? Because the developers decided that the Commanche program was NOT discontinued in the Armaverse. And we all know that BIS probably made up their own timeline to suit their own needs. They decided to change historical facts, hence ArmA 3 is Alternate History.

Maybe if ArmA 3 would've had some sort of crazy weapon, then we might have called it Science Fiction, but all the crazy stuff in ArmA 3 does seem to already exist in real life. Railguns? Stealth choppers? Tanks that shoot down missiles? It's crazy technology but it's no fiction.

Again, I'm no expert, so if somebody else has a better explanation, feel free to chime in.

Edited by BlackAlpha