Sign in to follow this  
ray243

Am I the only one who disliked the futuristic approach?

The game can be changed/molded into most things your heart desires, so no, of course there is no problem with the game set in the future.

Next to that it seems the whole future-approach is taken out of proportions. It's not like we'll be fighting robots with lasers and all.

Also, old game content may be ported from older games to the newer games, of course we have no idea yet what technicalities will be involved with that,

but IMO you guys should chill out and welcome this new installment of the OFP/ArmA series;

What is important is the engine improvements, not so much the content.

If the default setting doesn't suit you; let the community deal with it or even better; start getting those hands dirty yourself.

+1 withchars

....If a branch of the US/UK/French/German/Polish/Russian/etc military wants to buy 10.000 FN 2000's they can do it ......

Thats Off topic:

Wrong they cant, to do of economic reasons, support and politics, giving money away in to other country's, you don't go and buy 10.000 rifle's to replace existing systems.

If you own country has a company that makes rifle's you ask first theme, money spend at home company's are coming back in to country's hands in form of, tax and the tax of the employees.

Not to forget that some ppl and the solider are proud of having a rifle made at home to defend there home.(if your domestic company's don't build crap)

And what is if Belgium stops supporting the FN2000 or your country?Where you get spare parts?

And only IF your domestic company's cant manufacture a weapon with the needed demands you go and ask outside.

Why shod US/UK/French/German/Polish/Russian if they make own rifles, use them, have a shit loud of theme in there stocks, buy from some one else?

You don't go and buy just 10.000 rifles.

Hi,

A game can't be set in the future and still be realistic? If that were true, BIS wouldn't even attempt it. Yet, here we are.

See this thread.

You're right, but it depends on what we speculate; if we thing a blend of Mi-28/Ka-50 is realistic, it will be...

New weapons system cost so much a take more than 20 years so we have to be carefull with that.

I mentioned sinergy, but I also want to talk about versatility

A lot of people said: ''you can do want you want with the editor...''

Right, that's why the choice of the basic weapon system we get is so important;

If I get a flat green/sand T-72, I can create a Cold war, mordern, futur era war between big and little state...

Same thing with the good old AK-47/M16.

If I get a very high tech Commanche what can I do? Use it belong US thats all.

Same thing we a strange russian chopper we dont know...

For example, think to that suberb Su-32/34 in Arma1/2; when we see/use it?

I dont think we need something perfect but, good engine, versatility and synergy of weapons are very important.

Thank you,

-Luc-

---------- Post added at 03:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:52 PM ----------

I forgot, sorry.

The game can be changed/molded into most things your heart desires, so no, of course there is no problem with the game set in the future.

Next to that it seems the whole future-approach is taken out of proportions. It's not like we'll be fighting robots with lasers and all.

Also, old game content may be ported from older games to the newer games, of course we have no idea yet what technicalities will be involved with that,

but IMO you guys should chill out and welcome this new installment of the OFP/ArmA series;

What is important is the engine improvements, not so much the content.

If the default setting doesn't suit you; let the community deal with it or even better; start getting those hands dirty yourself.

I agree with you about the game engine but please, stop with the ''community will'' or ''do it yourself'' rhetoric.

Not everyone can/want create what they want for that game.

Personaly, I did some maps and scenarios for OFP and it's not easy and it take a lot of time...

But, must important, why do I have to work on the game myself?

Why I would buy a game I have to wait for freework of others?

IKEA give me everything I need when I have to work of the desk bought...

I thing it should be the samething with BIS games.

or

At least, get a versatil conservative content.

Again, thank you,

-Luc-

I'm in the "don't like the future setting/weapons" crowd. but i don't think it'll be that bad, however.

Like a few others have said, there's only 1 100% fictional weapon shown so far, and the comanche (yes, it IS a comanche and YES, it is unmodified from the last known design, tail rotor and all) could be explained away. for all we know, BI have just released images of the 'fantastical' stuff purely to look different and to show something new to fans and non-fans alike, and every single other weapon in the game is all present-day stuff. here's hoping.

I do hope that the storyline gives a plausible explanation as to the existence of these weapons, like, say, the cold war went hot and the world has been at war for a long time, hence the approved development of things like the comanche and that co-ax havok, the almost haphazard approval for all sorts of rifles to be used on the frontlines, etc.

that being said, I also hope that BI will include present-day weapons in-game that do the same job as all the fictional stuff, like a AH-1 for the blu and hind or proper, actual havok for the opfor, just so mission designers can make modern-day conflicts straight out of the box without having to wait for modders.

Thats Off topic:

It's not off topic . I was simply demonstrating my point .

Wrong they cant, to do of economic reasons, support and politics, giving money away in to other country's, you don't go and buy 10.000 rifle's to replace existing systems.

If you own country has a company that makes rifle's you ask first theme, money spend at home company's are coming back in to country's hands in form of, tax and the tax of the employees.

Yes they can . If you want to help your economy sure, you buy local , but nothing stops you " military branch " to buy from outside .

Maybe corrupt politicians but that's another story ...

Not to forget that some ppl and the solider are proud of having a rifle made at home to defend there home.(if your domestic company's don't build crap)

These " proud soliders" are on a mediteranean island far away from home . They can't be picky when it comes to weapon systems :)

And what is if Belgium stops supporting the FN2000 or your country?Where you get spare parts?

And only IF your domestic company's cant manufacture a weapon with the needed demands you go and ask outside.

The FN 2000 is made by FN Herstal a privately owned company from Belgium that also has a US of A branch , just pointing that out .

The US armed forces use the M 240 machine gun , which is the FN MAG .

The FN 2000's we saw in the screenshots might be called the M-69's as far as we know .

Who knows, maybe those M-69's were made by FN USA .

Why shod US/UK/French/German/Polish/Russian if they make own rifles, use them, have a shit loud of theme in there stocks, buy from some one else?

Beacuse they can , you know it's a .... what's that word a lot of people use this days ... realistic ? It's a realistic option .

If you want to outfit a small/medium unit , yes you do .

Thats Off topic:

we dont know anything of the political/economic situation of the time period and setting of the game. In WWII the soviets had vehicles from the US through Land-Lease.

Think of it as alternative reality where its not weird that Kamov and Mil worked together during tough times to create a superchopper which combined the benefits of both bureaus.

If 3 weeks ago I would have told you that there are stealth blackhawks you would have sent me down fairy-tale lane...

I dont think you can compare it at all to MGS4 Personally.... Other than its set in the future.... MGS is awesome but this is totally different...

Of course I didnt mean gameplay wise! Its atmosphere is rather similar though:

1. Futuristic setting

2. A special forces soldier alone behind enemy lines

3. A special forces soldier with a bandana!

4. Similar high quality textures

Of course I didnt mean gameplay wise! Its atmosphere is rather similar though:

1. Futuristic setting

2. A special forces soldier alone behind enemy lines

3. A special forces soldier with a bandana!

4. Similar high quality textures

If Scott Miller is -anywhere near- as cool as Solid Snake, Arma will turn from a milsim with average storytelling into a WAR EPIC OF MAGNIFICIENT PROPORTIONS.

You have to keep in mind that when Kojima set out to make MGS, he wanted to make a realistic (!) sneak spy game. Just look at the way snake handles the guns troughout the series, or how the actors move in the cutscenes. Then, back to gameplay.

BI, please stop constraining yourself with this silly rivet counting at every corner, but focus instead on making the story, the characters, the setting, THE EVERYTHING great!

This is your chance to outshine everything out there. Don´t settle for anything less than GOTY this time. You did it once, you can do it again. Doesn´t count for much, but you have my support

Cheers

My opinion on the futuristic setting is - It's good to see BIS just having some fun with their series. Experimenting a bit.

We all know there's gonna be mods and missions that will end up being modern day, so i'm not worried about that. The campaign might be able to have some creative licence this way, Like with CWC.

I'm sorry if I come of a bit "noobish" but have they even said when the game is set?

I'm sorry if I come of a bit "noobish" but have they even said when the game is set?

We did not receive an exact date .

we dont know anything of the political/economic situation of the time period and setting of the game. In WWII the soviets had vehicles from the US through Land-Lease.

But they still used there own rifles,MG and what else. You cant just let disappear M4/16 family what happen?Mettle termites eaten all riffles only FN/S-2000 got spared?

Think of it as alternative reality where its not weird that Kamov and Mil worked together during tough times to create a superchopper which combined the benefits of both bureaus.

Maybe even Su and mig build a super robot tank jet who knows.... but I was reffaring to the "Just go and buy 10.000 rifles" its not so easy.

If 3 weeks ago I would have told you that there are stealth blackhawks you would have sent me down fairy-tale lane...

No I wouldn’t.

I would say Yes very possible, why not but I wouldn’t say you are crazy or what else. The Americans build stealth attack/scout helicopters, bomber, fighter jet´s,drones,ships working know on a stealth tank. Its a mater of time and we have stealth apple Pie and then its over.:eek:

It's not off topic . I was simply demonstrating my point .

The offtopic part was relaytet to my comment not yours, sry.

Yes they can . If you want to help your economy sure, you buy local , but nothing stops you " military branch " to buy from outside .

Maybe corrupt politicians but that's another story ...

Politicians stop theme they get there money from the government and have to explain theme what they have done with that money. You don’t spend a few millions and not reporting for what and where the money was going.

Corrupt politicians?What?

I just say Stealth Apple Pie.

These " proud soldiers" are on a mediteranean island far away from home . They can't be picky when it comes to weapon systems :)

If you are spec ops you are picky, your rifle is your life, and if you can chose you take the best (ACR/SCAR/HK-116/M-4) IMHO

The FN 2000 is made by FN Herstal a privately owned company from Belgium that also has a US of A branch , just pointing that out .

The US armed forces use the M 240 machine gun , which is the FN MAG .

The FN 2000's we saw in the screenshots might be called the M-69's as far as we know .

Who knows, maybe those M-69's were made by FN USA .

k point taken

Beacuse they can , you know it's a .... what's that word a lot of people use this days ... realistic ? It's a realistic option .

Realty is relative every one see and understands realty different.

Realistic is to take a rifle your enemy is using, confusing him in fire fights having lots of ammo after a fight, finding fast a replacement. Damn even a Bow is or a crossbow is bather stealth and you can reuse the ammo or make self some xD OK I drifting to far.

Or are the Iranians/Chinese/Russians using now the FN/S-2000?

Metaltermites?all Ak´s, Q-whatever eaten?

Not to start with the forward ejector in that rifle if you have there a jam somewhere inside, damn opening removing shell and closing the rifle, a lovely punch like in standard rifles and fix, is not possible.

Nobody can stop BI in adding the FN/S-2000 but why its there why not a M-4/16/AK/HK system that are more advanced?

If you want to outfit a small/medium unit , yes you do .

What small unit needs 10.000 rifles?

From platoon to battalion they don’t need to shoot theme just trow rifles at theme there are so many in stock.

Regiment is not small but OK.

Its your opinion. I say blue you red.

Edited by -Paladin-

I think the whole futuristic thing and even the upgrade of graphics is a bit of a waste. Seriously the AI is where 99% of the resources should be put so that playing this game whether you're alone or with your crew will be more realistic.

Paladin, the more open minded US armed forces command members have been trying to replace the M16 family for years . Just because it's been in service for so many years it does not mean it's the best choice .

Also please note , that the forces we saw in those screen's are Special Forces .

I would say Yes very possible, why not but I wouldn’t say you are crazy or what else. The Americans build stealth attack/scout helicopters, bomber, fighter jet´s,drones,ships working know on a stealth tank. Its a mater of time and we have stealth apple Pie and then its over.

And russians have built a chopper with two rotors before and they have built a mi28. So what's stopping them from building a mi28 with 2 rotors. It's a totally plausible thing, probably more plausible than us hiding a stealth chopper for 10 years that no one has heard about. Don't limit your vision only to things you already know about. Take a T55, putt a squished turret on it and you get a hybrid called t62.

..and you get a hybrid called t62.

For some reason I'd still like one of them more than any other modern tank.. guess i always pick the cool stuff :cool: .

For some reason I'd still like one of them more than any other modern tank.. guess i always pick the cool stuff :cool: .

That's very nice :) and I'd like a ferarri :)