I tried the other module and it gives a green flag follewed by 0 (0/0). But no civ is being spawned. If you get yours to work, can you upload the mission or something? Post the mission.sqm content? Its very weird why it won't spawn those civs.

civs_fallujah.jpg

Working fine for me.... place a player, place Ambient Civs (Expansion) with the debug line in init - hit preview....

15 active civs within the area..... no probs.....

Are you sure you have the latest Fallujah 1.2 version?.... previous versions didn't support Civs, I think....

B

Hmm how do I check if I have the right version? I have deleted the old files from my mod folder. I can see all the alice areas with the grey paths to the neighborhoods. Can you post your mission.sqm content?

Here's the mission for what it's worth - a player and the module - that's it...

Latest Fallujah should be on Armaholic.... I think there was a link in this thread a page back....

B

Its very weird, by me it doesnt work. How long does it take before they start spawning? Can I somehow have damaged the alice module?

Hi, first of all i want to say great job!!

Excellent map. Just a couple of things that i noticable:

- Paladin won´t work on the map. Gridsystem is not correct. Should be a easy one to fix ? ^^

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?121095-M109A6-Paladin-v1-1-(UPDATED)&p=1963026&viewfull=1#post1963026

- Something messed up with the waypoints (taxiway) on the Airbase in the North. The Ai-Pilot cut the corner near the tower and at one position the ai-pilot stops for 10 seconds and continue taxing in front of the hangar. Near the tower he also taxi very close to the heli-pad.

- Notice a strange bug, i use a AI-pilot to fly to 5000 meters for halo-drop but he ignores every waypoint above 2000 meters. On other maps like takistan it works. Do you have some clue ?

- The bar-gates won´t work in the FOB and in the airbase. Would be a nice feature.

- For my personal taste there are still to much objects in the fob. A lot of non-working gates and interrupted fences in the entrance-area.

- Only one Guardtower near the railway-station lights up.

- In the area near the baracks close to the west-entrance there are 3 roofage but only 2 are usable. the 3th one is blocked by a little hill or hummuck.

Tomorrow i will have more time to make some screenshots or a video for showing you what i mean and i will understand if you say that it would be to much work. I just want to say, to my mates who are also big fans of your map, i write it down.

Thx

Okay I have now managed to get some civilians to spawn by doing what this thread tells:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?112282-cB-BIS-Ambient-Civilians-Custom-CityCenters-and-HouseEffects-hack&highlight=lighthouse

This is the only way I can manage to spawn some civilians. Why do I have to do this and all other are just placing the alice2 module in the editor and it all works?

Okay I have now managed to get some civilians to spawn by doing what this thread tells:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?112282-cB-BIS-Ambient-Civilians-Custom-CityCenters-and-HouseEffects-hack&highlight=lighthouse

This is the only way I can manage to spawn some civilians. Why do I have to do this and all other are just placing the alice2 module in the editor and it all works?

Well, I always found that while civs do spawn on this map, there's not very many of them, they don't spawn all over the city (due to non enterable buildings in lots of areas) and you might have to wait many minutes until you see anyone. I use my own custom city center arrangement instead.

Yeah, but for bushlurker it works. I on the other hand, have no civs, no matter how long I have the mission running.

Hi everybody.

So here it is, we ran into a little issue with Fallujah. It seems like the TWS scopes don"t work properly on it: at night, they only display a black (or white if in black-hot mode) screnn, whith the crosshair, in which you can see people and objects marked as "hot". But we can't see the buildings nor the terrain. Works properly during daytime.

I first encountered this issue running ace, but reproduced it without it (vanilla config) and it doesn't appear on any other island. So i guess it's Fallujah-related only.

If it could help, it seems too that the night on this island is extremely dark: We need to max out the sensitivity of the NVGs so we can actually see something.

Other thing, probably not related, that i found out, is daytime is a few hours shorter than night time.

I obviously don't know if Shezan's still working on that map (outstanding work by the way), but if you're here somewhere and can hear me... Is there anyway to fix this? Has this already been reported? Are you planning some new releases for Fallujah?

Thanks!

Its not a issue at all...change the date of your mission and it will be fixed! different times of year/day have different level of contrast in TI and the nights vary in the darkness.

Thanks a lot mate!

I was pretty sure i was being dumb at some point, but i couldn't find any rational reason to that.

Thanks again, sorry for bothering you!

@Shezan74: thanks very much for sharing this brilliant map. I've been playing a port of ThomsonB's Flashpoint, and it beats the stock city maps by miles IMHO. :pc:

@BlackMamb: interesting that the days are shorter than the nights. Could you let me know by how much & what date your mission takes place?

I'm curious whether the same is still true if the date is set to 6 months earlier. In other words, does Arma (or maybe just Fallujah??) include some feature to mimic the effect of axial tilt?

BR

Orcinus

Edited by Orcinus

@JacobJ: if all else fails, you could use DAC to spawn civilians ( maybe also spawn civilian vehicles for them to drive around, run over you/your squad, etc., if you want).

Best to use the script version. If you want to try with DAC, pay attention to setting up the DAC zone correctly - there's a great tutorial here

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=99759

You'll find several custom configs for civilian units in this thread

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?100617

BR

Orcinus

PS (27 March) - I had some spare time today to try this & cobbled together a quick'n'dirty demo. If anyone is interested, happy to make it available somewhere.

Civilians & vehicles (numbers of, & mix of types in, each category easily adjustable) spawn across a 1.5 km square zone (size & shape also adjustable). Civs wander around, use vehicles, go in & out of buildings, etc.

O.

Edited by Orcinus
New information

@ Orcinus:

From what i remember, the mission was taking place in january. Sun would rise around 7.30 am and night would fall around 5.30 pm. Which does make a pretty short day.

I haven't took time to test it again during summer, just checked out the TWS issue for now, but it's quite easy to do, just preview the map in the editor at different times.

As for the fact that it comes from Arma or just Fallujah, i'd say it's coming from arma, but honestly i don't know. Could be tested the same way.

It comes from ARMA. Your typical "winter" months have shorter periods of daylight, and thermals don't work as well as the warmer months (ambient temperature would be down so objects wouldn't be holding as much heat as they do in the summer). Like BlackMamb said - fire up any map in the editor and change the date around. You'll notice there are even full moon cycles implemented.

I know Shezan has said he doesn't have time to update anymore, but just offering another data point... I'm also having the problem with no civis (expansion) spawning with the module installed. Vehicles works fine, but no AI units.

I'll keep playing with disabling other addons (for some reason I hadn't messed with this map before), but it looks like there's some sort of "issue" with what I'm using and this map.

It comes from ARMA. Your typical "winter" months have shorter periods of daylight, and thermals don't work as well as the warmer months (ambient temperature would be down so objects wouldn't be holding as much heat as they do in the summer). Like BlackMamb said - fire up any map in the editor and change the date around. You'll notice there are even full moon cycles implemented.

Cool, I'll play around with that.

Cheers

Orcinus

I know Shezan has said he doesn't have time to update anymore, but just offering another data point... I'm also having the problem with no civis (expansion) spawning with the module installed. Vehicles works fine, but no AI units.

I'll keep playing with disabling other addons (for some reason I hadn't messed with this map before), but it looks like there's some sort of "issue" with what I'm using and this map.

Well i guess it is because of the non enterable buildings near the centers. So the AI doesn't find any building where to spawn. And i guess it couldn't be solved without replacing all the buildings on the map, which would be retarded.

Well i guess it is because of the non enterable buildings near the centers. So the AI doesn't find any building where to spawn. And i guess it couldn't be solved without replacing all the buildings on the map, which would be retarded.

Perhaps, but both the map maker and Bushlurker say they have it working, so I'm guessing it's a conflict somewhere on my side. I just need to take the time to figure out where. Whether I make that time...eh. It's still a great map and with a few UPS additions, it's probably not that big a deal.

Hi guys.....

I meant to reply in this thread a week ago... took some wee pictures and everything... then I got sidetracked... and here we are a week later.... :(

Oh well.... better late than never I suppose.....

Well i guess it is because of the non enterable buildings near the centers. So the AI doesn't find any building where to spawn. And i guess it couldn't be solved without replacing all the buildings on the map

The reason I know that Civ Spawn is definitely implemented correctly on Fallujah 1.2 is because I was chatting to Shezan while he was implementing it!

We had a big discussion on the topic beforehand... I was keen to see civ spawn added - Shezan's Major Concern - as always, was playablilty... his big achievement with this terrain is the sheer scale and number of buildings that make up this enormous and sprawling city..... No other A2 map currently comes close, and to manage that - and maintain good framerates throughout is an impressive achievement!

After quite a lot of discussion, Shezan decided that the best way to keep civilian numbers under control was to limit their "spawn points" to a single building type...

This one....

spawnhouse.jpg

This is the only house in Fallujah which spawns civilians...

Shezan decided on this one because... it's a fairly common "closed" building, suitable for civ-spawning, it's more common in "residential" Fallujah districts, and a little less common around the more "industrial" areas...

My sole contribution to the proceedings - apart from nagging about Civ-spawning in the first place ;) - was to add the spawn points to the model... then it was thoroughly tested and found to generate a decent number of Civs, and most importantly - not to impact noticably on general framerates or playability when activated....

So..... if you're having problems with spawning Civs via the Ambient Civilians (Expansion) module, then you must be doing something wrong... somewhere along the line.....

First thing to do is to make sure you have the latestl Fallujah 1.2 version...

It should say this....

12.jpg

Then - place a player and the appropriate module.....

setup.jpg

(the "debug" command is optional, but will show "active houses", "active civs" and "neighbourhood network likes" on the in-game map if you include it.....

Hit "Preview" in the Editor and immediately go to map mode.....

network.jpg

You should see Active Spawn Houses and Points, wandering numbered civilians, plus the dark neighbourhood network lines.....

The addition of wandering civs really enhances this already excellent map... still me & my MP friends numero uno choice for a "Fast Blast" game session... especially with our "2-player PMC shotguns in the dark with no nightvisions" Domination variant :D

B

Gatordev, are you running any other custom maps? I had a problem with ambient civs not spawning on Fallujah, and tracked it down to a conflict with the (excellent) Faysh Khabur map. Once I stopped loading this map, civilians appeared again in Fallujah.

Try removing all other custom maps from your command line or launcher, and see if that helps you.

So..... if you're having problems with spawning Civs via the Ambient Civilians (Expansion) module, then you must be doing something wrong... somewhere along the line.....

No doubt. And if I gave the impression I was blaming the map maker and not my own set of addon folders, then I apologize.

Gatordev, are you running any other custom maps? I had a problem with ambient civs not spawning on Fallujah, and tracked it down to a conflict with the (excellent) Faysh Khabur map. Once I stopped loading this map, civilians appeared again in Fallujah.

Try removing all other custom maps from your command line or launcher, and see if that helps you.

I don't think I have that map, but I'm guessing it's a conflict with something I have loaded. I just haven't made the time to go through and figure out what's causing the issue. I'll have a look at what I have running and go from there. Thanks for the suggestion.

The Ambient Civilians problem seems to be caused by conflicts with other maps.

I had Isla Duala in my mod list and was getting the same problem on fallujah as others, removed Isla Duala and restarted and it fallujah civvies loaded perfectly.