Sign in to follow this  
andrea0373

F/A-18 Super Hornet

@Meatball0311,

I forgot to mention to andreas about disconnecting the arrestor script wired into the arrestor hook of the F18.Now the Nimitz has good arrestor system the old system built in isnt required anymore,and it was too easy....:)

will do.. thanks for telling me.

What are you going to do with the arrestor hook btw? Could script it so that when gears down and the nimitz is detected in the vicinity it lowers no? Dunno if that would be do able though.

Also just noticed that the shadows are blocking the backlight screens lol :P

Edited by wolfbite

What are you going to do with the arrestor hook btw? Could script it so that when gears down and the nimitz is detected in the vicinity it lowers no? Dunno if that would be do able though.

Also just noticed that the shadows are blocking the backlight screens lol :P

The arrestor hook works fine.. actually I just disabled the script and the carrier catches it just perfectly. So there is no need for "the script".. that animation and physical "hook" are working just fine.

Ice if you need any weapons information on the hornet let me know. I did aviation ordnance on that bird when I was in the Navy.

I guess I have the same question as wolfbite, is the arrestor hook automatically lowered when the gear is down and the Nimitz is nearby? Or is it just something in the user actions? Automation is best! This is looking great btw.

Well I guess I was just plain wrong about the wings then lol. I've taken close looks at pics with different F/A-18's with folded wings. I've determined that the F/A-18E/F wings fold 90 degrees. The F/A-18C/D wings fold slightly past 90 (I think about 100 degrees perhaps, but not sure). So yeah your Superhornet is right, but if you are releasing the reg hornet, I think they should fold further than that. :)

I guess I have the same question as wolfbite, is the arrestor hook automatically lowered when the gear is down and the Nimitz is nearby? Or is it just something in the user actions? Automation is best! This is looking great btw.

The arrestor hook is a user action that displays once you lower the landing gears (the action pops up and you have to manually lower the hook).

Thanks for the comment and your carrier motivated me to get the F/A-18 in game.

Well I guess I was just plain wrong about the wings then lol. I've taken close looks at pics with different F/A-18's with folded wings. I've determined that the F/A-18E/F wings fold 90 degrees. The F/A-18C/D wings fold slightly past 90 (I think about 100 degrees perhaps, but not sure). So yeah your Superhornet is right, but if you are releasing the reg hornet, I think they should fold further than that. :)

Yeah I noticed that the C/D were a little more inward... but the E/F look to be at 90

It looks like the hornet has some indents in the nose area (judging from the video). I think the nm there is a little strong. It's also unclear what the indents are, whether the y axis in inverted, the rivets are set in deep indents, or the rivets are indicated in the bump map by indents instead of rises.

It looks like the hornet has some indents in the nose area (judging from the video). I think the nm there is a little strong. It's also unclear what the indents are, whether the y axis in inverted, the rivets are set in deep indents, or the rivets are indicated in the bump map by indents instead of rises.

on the nm the rivets are raised...

f18f_temp2_nohq-1.png

but in game they look indented...?

do I switch it.. make the rivets in the nm indented and in game they will be raised?

the areas that I wanted to be indented I inverted the y axis, then I pasted the indented parts with the raised parts on the same nm...

If you want to change something's polarity on a normal map you have to invert the y and x axes.

Some programs vary on which way they think the y axis should face. Some like y-, some y+. So if you have a y+ program reading a y- normal map, the lighting will not display correctly.

I don't have the model, but in the video, the large marks on the side of the cockpit area look indented in that lighting.

If you want to change something's polarity on a normal map you have to invert the y and x axes.

Some programs vary on which way they think the y axis should face. Some like y-, some y+. So if you have a y+ program reading a y- normal map, the lighting will not display correctly.

I don't have the model, but in the video, the large marks on the side of the cockpit area look indented in that lighting.

Thanks for the pointer.. I think I may have figured it out.. I had to actually invert x axis.. I just normal mapped the png file.. I added no sharpening or depth to them...

buldozer2011-03-2519-58-52-14.jpg

buldozer2011-03-2519-58-15-61.jpg

buldozer2011-03-2519-57-57-49.jpg

buldozer2011-03-2519-56-31-86.jpg

See how the tyres are lit from the front but the rivets are lit from the back? This indicates to me that something is wrong. Both the wheels and the rivets seem to be lit from the right hand side, or the hornet's left. This indicates to me that one axis is out of polarity.

regarding normal maps: the X and Y axes are related (in most of the the software out there and engines). So for a proper show, if you invert one of the axes you might need to do the same for the other one.

more information, in a pretty condensed fashion, but still covering all the issues and workflows with normal maps can be found over the polycount wiki

Tis a pity most things in life can't just be cut and paste. Sigh....

But thank you MeatBall0311 for your work. I think I can say this for a few folks, we be hanging bro.

regarding normal maps: the X and Y axes are related (in most of the the software out there and engines). So for a proper show, if you invert one of the axes you might need to do the same for the other one.

more information, in a pretty condensed fashion, but still covering all the issues and workflows with normal maps can be found over the polycount wiki

Thanks for the info and that link.. I just got home and still need to do some errands, but will check it out tonight. I will invert both x and y axis and hopefully that will improve it. By the way I am using the plug-in by GIMP for Normal Maps and also have used this video as a guide

so thanks for that link so far it looks to be very informative..

See how the tyres are lit from the front but the rivets are lit from the back? This indicates to me that something is wrong. Both the wheels and the rivets seem to be lit from the right hand side, or the hornet's left. This indicates to me that one axis is out of polarity.

Thanks for the advice and maybe PuFu's advice will help get this right. Also maybe I need to recaluculate the normals on the model?? Will do both later.

Tis a pity most things in life can't just be cut and paste. Sigh....

But thank you MeatBall0311 for your work. I think I can say this for a few folks, we be hanging bro.

Thanks!! Oorah Chesty Puller!!!!!

where can i get acces to this 29 palms map?

Yes, that map is in Beta testing... and a bird told me that there is a new version possibly coming out soon...

So to update you all, yesterday I worked on lowering the section count and worked on the normal and specular map.

Got some other things that need to be done before I can really have an idea of what the next step will be.. so things are moving a long nicely.

The 29 Palms map is currently in BETA. Its coming along but it will be a little while until it is released.

The 29 Palms map is currently in BETA. Its coming along but it will be a little while until it is released.

We cant wait.. thanks for your hard work Devil Dog...

UPDATE:

I just spent all last night and today working on this one texture problem.... and I just got it corrected. [GLT]Myke has sent me the weapon configurations for the F/A-18 and I am getting acquainted with them quit nicely. :dance1:Give me some time to play around with my new toys and do some tests, make some weapon loadouts, and finish a few other things and I will release a video....

In all I feel the process is moving nicely and am confidently looking forward to this.

Will be in touch.... :dancered:

Meatball0311, I'm asking for a huge favor. I'm guessing that you will release it with GLT missiles addon. Can you please also release F/A-18F that is using stock Arma 2 loadout?

I'm part of Official ACRE Community - United Operations, we would love to add your F-18 into our modpack. There is only one "but...". GLT Missiles tend to glitch with ACE, and ACE is what we're using. I appreciate job that you're doing and it would be great if you could also release version using stock Arma 2 weapons :).

Hi, been lurking for a while but i got a couple of enquiries.

Everything i've seen here has been USN, however i've heard of an RAAF Rhino being made. I just want to confirm that this is in fact the case.

Second is that those images show the RAAF Rhino equipped with Sidewinders, something we use when co-operating with the USA but its not our official short range air to air missile, as i'm probably sure you're aware (i just want to make sure :P)

3Sqn2-lo.jpg

f-a-18f_super_hornet_2_16471.jpg

Just wishing to confirm that in final release this Rhino will in fact be using GLT, and therefore the ASRAAM.

Cheers!

Meatball0311, I'm asking for a huge favor. I'm guessing that you will release it with GLT missiles addon. Can you please also release F/A-18F that is using stock Arma 2 loadout?

I'm part of Official ACRE Community - United Operations, we would love to add your F-18 into our modpack. There is only one "but...". GLT Missiles tend to glitch with ACE, and ACE is what we're using. I appreciate job that you're doing and it would be great if you could also release version using stock Arma 2 weapons :).

Could you please head over to my thread and elaborate? Most are regular weapons without anything special to it (let's keep away from GPS/INS system for a moment). There is no scripting involved so they should work like BIS default weapons.

Myke;1884195']Could you please head over to my thread and elaborate? Most are regular weapons without anything special to it (let's keep away from GPS/INS system for a moment). There is no scripting involved so they should work like BIS default weapons.

PM sent.

Hi, been lurking for a while but i got a couple of enquiries.

Everything i've seen here has been USN, however i've heard of an RAAF Rhino being made. I just want to confirm that this is in fact the case.

Second is that those images show the RAAF Rhino equipped with Sidewinders, something we use when co-operating with the USA but its not our official short range air to air missile, as i'm probably sure you're aware (i just want to make sure :P)

Just wishing to confirm that in final release this Rhino will in fact be using GLT, and therefore the ASRAAM.

Cheers!

Sorry my friend but I have no plans for an RAAF F/A-18.. that must be someone else's project. These will be under USMC and USN factions.

Talk with [GLT]Myke.. his is really approachable and can help you better than I could. At the moment the planes will be released and require GLT_Missilebox...

Sorry my friend but I have no plans for an RAAF F/A-18.. that must be someone else's project. These will be under USMC and USN factions.

Thanks for swift reply...wonder whos doing it then.

edit: ANZAC mod it seems.

Edited by Innomadic