Sign in to follow this  
Viper123_SWE

Shader Model 2 not supported anymore???

Ok i followed Techno Terrorists advice with the dxdiag, now i have some info:

System Type: HP Compaq dc 7600 small form factor

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.4o GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1024RAM

DirectX version: DirectX9.0c

-------------------------------------------------------

Screen:

ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050

Internal DAC (400MHz)

-------------------------------------------------------

Thats about it, hope this will be helpful for you guys trying to help me :)

Yes, That did answer something major,

You have a single core proccessor, which, is not going to run ArmA very well at all. Trust me on this one.. You will have to upgrade most of your PC. This is the best option, especially in the long run.

I'm sure the other guys will come back with setups for you. As just exchanging small parts will do little except get rid of that shader model problem. I suggest buying a new computer, all the parts seperatly. Then pay you local computing store to put it together and test it, if you don't want to do that yourself.

I suggest buying a new computer

^^ This.

There's no point in upgrading that old bucket (no offense) because by the time you're done, you'll practically have all the components for a new computer anyway.

Gettting a whole new rig will ensure that all your components are up to date and compatible. Also, you'll still have all your hair afterwards. ;)

Yeah, you need a new machine. Simply putting another graphics card in won't work. PM me if you want some help and advice with a new machine, you won't be able to play till then I'm afraid but it will be worth the wait!

Ok guys im now looking for a good computer that holds for years and that is reltive cheap, suggestions are apperciated!

Also thanks for the help guys!

holds for years and that is reltive cheap

One excludes the other.

Pc's that are cheap don't hold for years.

Pc's that hold for years aren't cheap.

suggestions are apperciated!

What's your budget?

AMD system. Or wait until AMD's AM3+ new platform that should be out in 3 months. You'll have a killer system that will allow for more poweful CPU's in the future. It seems like AMD's going to launch AM3+ CPU's for 3 years minimum.

But one thing is first and that is to find a ceiling for your budget.

If this is actually a dc7600 sff (production around 2005), then it's built to sit on the desktop running office applications.

The case is about 35x35x10 cm and will most likely not take any of the current batch of gfx-cards due to restraints for the length of the card. Also, the small internal volume will make it extremely hard to cool.

Even if the P4 is covered by the minimum system requirements, realistically it doesn't cut it for proper game play.

The minimum required ATI GPU listed is "Radeon 3650 or faster with Shader Model 3 and 512 MB VRAM", the X300 is not even close to that.

For games in general 'minimum system requirements' means that the system will just about run on extremely low settings and low display resolution.

I'm sorry to say, but this machine is not meant for gaming in the first place, it is totally underpowered for A2/OA and has very little flexibility for upgrade.

---------- Post added at 04:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 PM ----------

Eeeeh, ok posted too late ;)

Your best bet is as you already stated too look for something better.