Sign in to follow this  
Viper123_SWE

Shader Model 2 not supported anymore???

I am just going to say that maybe we should check the rest of his specs before advising him to buy anything, that x300 may mean that the rest of his specs are a P4 and 1gb RAM or something, which makes upgrading useless anyway.

A new GPU wont bring down your performance, but your CPU may stop it (bottleneck it) at some point. So may your RAM.

What is your proccessor? ( Go to Control Panel - System - then at the bottom it should have the Proccessor and its specs )

As, if its single core or low-spec dual it will need to be upgraded to run ArmA well. Trust me, I know. ;)

And it should also say "XX GB of RAM" somewhere there as well. Can you give us that as well.

ok to make it clear:

Im probably a BIT oldschool but im not that into graphic cards and stuff, the only thing i need is a video card that does the following:

*Supports Shader Model 3

*DOES'NT slow down my performance

*Something reliable that holds for years

I'm not sure if you really grasp how computer hardware works. A faster graphics card does NOT slow down performance and its main job is to run a diverse variety of games smoothly. Your X300 or the proposed X1300 are NOT good cards, they never were even at release, and it's not an insult to say that, it's fact. Personally I don't know how you can be perfectly fine with your card aside from the shader incompatibility. A graphics card that "holds" for years is one that runs all the games well when it's released, and games that are released 2-3 years from then still run perfectly fine.

Even if you feel it necessary to have a budget PC, at least get a new budget PC from this era.

He probably needs an upgrade. That's why i advised him to go with an AMD system. With 400 bucks he could get a good board, a quad AMD Phenom II 955, 4gb Ram and a Radeon 5770. He will probably need a better PSU as well, but i think 400 bucks could potentially cover for it.

He probably needs an upgrade. That's why i advised him to go with an AMD system. With 400 bucks he could get a good board, a quad AMD Phenom II 955, 4gb Ram and a Radeon 5770. He will probably need a better PSU as well, but i think 400 bucks could potentially cover for it.

if he has a low-end CPU, He will need a whole new system.

I think before we bombard him with anymore hardware. We should find out his full spec list first. Then give him names/links/prices for parts he will need.

Well, i cant seem to find my specs anywhere, but i must have a somewhat good computer since i can run the most source engine games

like gmod and half life 2

Well, i cant seem to find my specs anywhere, but i must have a somewhat good computer since i can run the most source engine games

like gmod and half life 2

To be honest that only means that your PC is less then 10 years old. ;)

Ok then, Can you do this for us:

Get CPU-Z and give us details from :

CPU - Specification

Graphics - Name

Graphics - Memory - Size (will be 512 or 1024 Mb)

Memory - Type

Memory - Size

Mainboard - Manufacturer

Mainboard - Model

(link : http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/cpu-z.html)

Edited by Ben_S

If you really want a graphics card that will "hold for years" then I suggest upgrading your motherboard to one with pci-e interface for the graphics rather than agp which I am 99% sure you're using. Post your specs anyway from cpu-z and we can have a look at it.

Ok guys thanks for the help, i will check all the recommended graphics card, i'll post here if i'll get any issues, and again thanks everyone!

Ok guys thanks for the help, i will check all the recommended graphics card, i'll post here if i'll get any issues, and again thanks everyone!

There´s nothing been suggested yet as people are still trying to find out what kind of gfx-interface your motherboard supports. It´s either AGP (waaay old) or PCI-E (pricy, yay), and can be interpreted as something like a plug, the one doesn´t fit into the other and that´s where your problem starts.

So instead of dodging every bit of help being directed at you, just read what the guys are really saying.

Yes, you need a more recent video card. As a result, you might need a whole new computer. . .

I'm quoting my earlier advice b/c it's looking more like it's applicable. It's actually the same situation I'm in. I'm running with a Radeon x850xt, a substantially more powerful graphics card than the x300. It's AGP; doesn't support SM3 - unable to play Arma2. Even if it did support SM3, it's woefully underpowered when it comes to handling Arma2 (I can't even max out OFP on my system. . .). I need a whole new computer: fast, multi-core CPU, PCI-E video, SATA HDs, faster and more RAM, even Windows 7 (would be an improvement over my Vista HP). Arma2 is an expensive video game. . .

I have run HL2 very well on my computer. It can't touch Arma2.

It's possible you have a PCI-E slot for your x300 - if so, you might be in luck: your computer might be able to receive more recent components. Even so, if it's more than a year old (motherboard, specifically), it's likely that you will be unable to upgrade enough to have acceptable Arma2 performance.

Edited by Anguis

I think the main issue is that the op doesn't understand why he's having problems and so he can't interpret the advice given or answer the questions asked.

Dude, run cpu-z, post the info and actually let us help you or stop wasting time.

I think the main issue is that the op doesn't understand why he's having problems and so he can't interpret the advice given or answer the questions asked.

Dude, run cpu-z, post the info and actually let us help you or stop wasting time.

Could you possibly tell me where i refused help?

I actually just wanted some tips, and i got it, now im going to look through them.

I actually just wanted some tips, and i got it, now im going to look through them.

You have been told what feels like dozens of times to install CPU-Z, run it and tell your specs here so that actual help could be given to you.

If you don't want to do that, at least run dxdiag.exe through the start menu and tell us the system model (motherboard), processor and memory.

As said we need to know the rest of your spec.

But seeing as your using an x300 I aint holding me breath it being any thing usable.

Arma eats even the best computers.

We've repeatedly asked for you to post your system specs and told you how to do this so we can actually help you. You've been given some names of graphics cards that may or may not be compatible with your motherboard but we have no way of knowing. It may be that your whole system needs replacing and so it might be more cost effective and efficient for you to buy a whole new prebuilt rig.

Ok guys yoy said that i could see my specs at the controll panel, is that correct?

If so where?

Also im not gonna DL some programms just to see my specs, even if i find my specs and might have to buy a new rig i dont have that money at the moment, but we'll see on my Birthday ;)

Anyways should i write down the specs for you so that i'll post them later?

Ok guys yoy said that i could see my specs at the controll panel, is that correct?

If so where?

Also im not gonna DL some programms just to see my specs, even if i find my specs and might have to buy a new rig i dont have that money at the moment, but we'll see on my Birthday ;)

what exactly is the prob with dl of cpu-z? It will take you about 5seconds.

Your specs won't be visible in control panel so getting an application to do it is going to be the only way. Oh yeah, you could actually use dxdiag. Go to start menu, click run and type dxdiag in the box. Run that and post what it says on here.

Edited by TechnoTerrorist303

dxdiag's 'System' and 'Display' tabs will do it. Control Panel -> System will give some info. In XP, right-click on desktop and select 'Display Settings' (IIRC) will give some info, too.

If so where?

CPU-Z is a tiny program. Even with my connection it only takes a few seconds. You then just double click the .Exe that comes with it. And give us the listed items I gave you. Hell, you could screenshot each area and upload it to a image hosting site if that would be even easier than copying/pasting the text boxes given. :rolleyes:

@Anguis, A DxDiag might do it actually.

@Viper123_SWE,

Go to

Start - Run -

And type in "dxdiag", without quotes. And then either screenshot, or write down everything in :

System - System Information

Display - Device

That would also be sufficent.

Edited by Ben_S

CPU-Z is a tiny program. Even with my connection it only takes a few seconds. You then just double click the .Exe that comes with it. And give us the listed items I gave you. Hell, you could screenshot each area and upload it to a image hosting site if that would be even easier than copying/pasting the text boxes given. :rolleyes:

Better yet; you could have done that within the time it took you to post that. :p

Ok i followed Techno Terrorists advice with the dxdiag, now i have some info:

System Type: HP Compaq dc 7600 small form factor

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.4o GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1024RAM

DirectX version: DirectX9.0c

-------------------------------------------------------

Screen:

ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050

Internal DAC (400MHz)

Thats about it, hope this will be helpful for you guys trying to help me :)

Ok i followed Techno Terrorists advice with the dxdiag, now i have some info:

System Type: HP Compaq dc 7600 small form factor

Processor: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 3.4o GHz (2 CPUs)

Memory: 1024RAM

DirectX version: DirectX9.0c

Screen:

ATI Radeon X300/X550/X1050

Internal DAC (400MHz)

Thats about it, hope this will be helpful for you guys trying to help me :)

OMFG :eek:

That thing was built for Office use, only because it's nearly 10 yrs. old let's you play Source-based Games on it.

Biggest Problem: Do you have the Lowprofile version of it or the Minitower?

If it's the Lowprofile you will struggle to find a Graphic card that fits in.

Also your CPU is underpowered for ArmA 2. It is a singlecore and ArmA 2 recommends at least a Dualcore.

And finally, 1GB of Ram is not enough either.

No offence, but with this rig you wont get a enjoyable experience with ArmA 2.

Honestly, i don't understand why people think they could run one of the most hardware-demanding games on a nearly 10 year old office pc. Never understood and never will.

:EDITH:

According to this: http://www.docstoc.com/docs/19695964/HP-Compaq-dc7600-Convertible-Minitower-PC--Specifications

your PC should have a PCIe X16 slot.

However, if you replace your Graphic card (which i don't recommend anyway) your PSU will probably be underpowered.

Edited by [FRL]Myke

Yes your hardware is outdated as i imagined. Like i said before with 400 bucks you can get a decent system. If you want to wait until May/June you'll probably get a very fast machine based on AMD new Bulldozer architecture. A quad should be enough. If you don't want to wait that much time go into a Phenom II X4 and a Radeon 5770. There are a lot of good value motherboards as well plus 4GB DDR 3 1333 and a 500 Watt PSU should do the trick for you.