Sign in to follow this  
nubbin77

New 6970 and 10.12 drivers

Hello everyone.

I realize this is a new card and may have some teething issues with this game. However I recently upgraded from a 4890 to a 6970 and I am having performance issues with the game. This isn't a rant thread, I am looking for some pointers.

Other specs:

Win7 64bit

Q6600 oc'd to 3.5 Ghz

4 GB ram

Intel 80 GB SSd (os drive) and 120 GB (game drive).

X-fi sound card.

Prior to the vid card upgrade, the game was running very well. I can say that the biggest upgrade regarding performance came through the SSD upgrade I did in the spring. So I was very much satisfied with the game up until the point of this upgrade.

The only 2 changes I made were the vid card upgrade and the drivers going from 10.9 to 10.12. Of course I have been trying various in-game settings, but none really seam to make any difference. i am hovering around 20-25 FPS in most situations non-combat situations and it goes down from there. Prior to upgrade I was around 50-60 dipping into the 20's only during firefights. I got the card with intentions of doing a full rebuild next year, and I figured the video card market wouldn't change between now and then so what the hell if I get an extra 10 FPS or so with my current system so much the better. However I didn't anticipate having such a big decrease.

That being said. I cannot remember what my driver settings were before with the 10.9's (I fully wiped them out of my system for the new drivers). I was wondering if I could get some advise as to what I should set my drivers to and maybe in game settings (but I don't think its in-game setting related as I currently have everything the way it was or knocked down a notch, plus at this point I think I have played with them all).

Graphically I have no corruption or issues that other people are reporting right now. The game looks fine. But it is just playing at about 50% of the performance of my prior card. Any thoughts would appreciated.

Have you tried removing your arma2oa.cfg (my documents\arma 2) to let it regenerate?

also verify what the detected local and nonLocalVram is; having some suspicions regarding lod / performance issues and those numbers, partially based on the latest available beta reports of issues, and detection of 0 or only 300 MB of local vram while they have 1 GB, and 0 nonLocal detected.

I agree with Sickboy, check those first. There is something tricky deep at the core of the mixture between the GPU, the drivers and ArmA 2 that is making ATI cards really have a bad time in comparison to how they should perform. As a 5870 Vapor-X owner I must say I feel like getting 70% of the power my card usually delivers when in ArmA 2 in comparison to other games. It's a difficult time for ArmA2+ATI, I guess but it is most probably going to change.

Some ATI users report better results with Catalyst 10.4 but while this is a stretch for my card already, (which wasn't even out at the time the 10.4 existed or really close to that), it's almost an insult for a 6970..anyway, some say it might be worth a try if you have time to do a full CCC cleaning.

Sharing the same boat, brother..and our feet are getting wet, but hold the line :)

Thanks guys, I did delete the Arma2oa.cfg. let it redetect settings. My non-local v-ram looked wrong but the local looked good (showed 2GB). I suppose I can try to uninstall these drivers and put old one's on, but I figured those drivers wouldn't support this card. Maybe it would only screw it up for other games though. This is pretty much what I play 90 percent of the time and anything else I play doesn't require a monster graphics card like this game.

i also noticed my fps droped 40% with new driver update, try to roll back to 10.10 and maiby that solves problem, for now...

Yes Nubbin as I said I wouldn't go that way for a driver that doesn't represent your card..it's more about the future drivers than the older ones..a 5870 card can instead be a wild guess, newer and older ones work .. I also play ArmA exclusively..been playing that for an entire year (lol call me crazy, I understand :)) and I can't say I noticed something better with the release of newer drivers..pretty much "nothing" or "wait..feels worse..mh..".

I don't like where this is going as me and other people experiencing problems are using very respectful and recent cards..it can easily pi** people off..problem is..ArmA is not a "massively played game" like other more famous titles..so ATI doesn't seem interested in improving or at least fixing its problems with their CCC drivers.

I guess if all the ArmA 2 players with ATI sell them and buy nVIDIA..they won't care? mmh.

Crappy to be sure. I did try to go and use 10.9 drivers with my card. But the card will not run on those. not too sure what I should do. I guess I can consider returning the card, although that thought is killing me.

I deleted the ARMA2OA.CFG and ran the Official patch which gave me both LocalVRAM and NonLocalVRAM at 4GB each (beta gave proper Local but wrong NonLocal). This seems to work and i have good FPS for a while. However the game degrades and textures start switching between high and low. Also looking around/zooming in/out will make textures and LOD's change in a very visible manner and the FPS gets very bad when this happens.

ARMA always stuttered when zooming in/out (nvidia too), but it gets worse now over time with the new card. It is to the point it becomes impossible to enjoy the game unfortunatelly, but im going to do some tests again today and see what i can come up with.

I was holding the GTX580 and the HD6970 in my hand at the shop and i chose the latter due to it being christmas and all. Not much cash to throw on myself this month lol. Anyhoo, i think i'll have to register over at ATI's official forums (if they have one) and start bothering them to look at ARMA. :)

I tried the above. I just requested an RMA. The only reason I bought the card was for Arma. I think I'll just go back to Nvidia for now. They don't seem to be having the same problems at the moment.

Im thinking about getting this card but before i get it have these issues been fixed yet. Is this a problem for just a single card or a crossfire set up.

Edited by DarkSide Six

Hm, same here - 4890 sitting in my rig with a 6950 ready for install at the weekend.

(edit - its the older 2Gb card).

Answers on a postrcard . . .

cj

My buddy and I have almost identical rigs(6970).He runs the game no problem before and after running in crossfire on his I7 2600k.I on the other hand have had issues with major stutter and a complete system failure(sent MB and cpu back). I have many times been able to get my FPS up and past 60 fps though @ 1080 with settings at least mostly high if not higher. Its just Major jolting unplayable stutter that kills it for me. Not sure if its the card or not but Monday I will be throwing the gtx580 in when the UPS guy delivers it after I do the memory swap 1st and test that.I would double check power supply(something I may have to do to if all my other efforts fail).Something is deffinately wrong if You cant get up beyond 20-30FPS with a 6970. Double check the PS to the motherboard as well.Any chance the card is in the wrong PCIe16 slot? Well good luck

Im thinking about getting this card but before i get it have these issues been fixed yet. Is this a problem for just a single card or a crossfire set up.

My buddy said his rig is super smooth in ARMA2 oa crossfire with 2 6970's .Its expensive as hell though.Good powersupply and 2 cards = $$$$$$. His I7 2600k is fine with it though even in 8X + 8X .

My buddy said his rig is super smooth in ARMA2 oa crossfire with 2 6970's .Its expensive as hell though.Good powersupply and 2 cards = $$$$$$. His I7 2600k is fine with it though even in 8X + 8X .

What driver is your buddy using, I am using 11.2 with the 6970 and keep getting the minimize to desktop crash

What driver is your buddy using, I am using 11.2 with the 6970 and keep getting the minimize to desktop crash

11.2 and He hasn't mentioned any crash's to me.Lately He hasn't been playing ARMA2 all the time so I'm not sure what would happen if He did. I will mention it to him though