Skarikiska, Island from OFP: Sunken Dragon

I will upload again the reference files

Will be uploaded tonight GMT+1

I has been less time than I thought

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=H2DRYS2Z

Updated link in first post too

Edited by mankyle

Cyper, it was already released...

and yes as far as I remember it worked on vanillah.

I tried it and it seems like it doesn't work.

Looking forward to this project anyway.

Keep on working on it! :D

Just curious: Have anyone actually worked and improved the island? If so, it would be nice if this update could be uploaded to armaholic or something.

I am interested in creating a campaign taking place on the island but so far it does not feel solid enough.

Obviously not, else that person would have announced it here or somewhere else. Some common sense would tell you that actually.

Please stop bumping threads asking for news or updates.

Well, I thought that the OP, or anyone else, may have done some minor updates a time ago but then scrubbed their project leaving these small updates in the dust.

If there is anything new I would really appreciate if it was uploaded. If it's not, then forget what I said..

Not only you would like to see this thing finished one day, but it obviously has been dropped for the 3rd time now. :)

hmmm ... well, I (like probably a few) have the source, but the question is, what is actually needed?

Whats the To-Do list?

Apart from a few tweaks like moving trees off roads, fix runway/taxiway, do something about the fake water (don't know what) ...... whats the the wish list?

I enjoyed playing this map because OFP doesnt work for me. Not much of a shame tbh:j: . Nothing will ever beat OFP CWC.

@Gnat

Besides what you mentioned:

There is a lot to do:

-Improve the sat and the mask on the airport.

- Add more buildings to the airport, plus fences

- Improve terrain in some places

- Add SILVIE/ALICE/WAR modules compatibility

- Use Operation Arrowhead oil pumps so they can be added to the island

- Level the terrain so some bridges are correctly placed

- Wood mapper (typo?) could be used to improve the looks of the woods

Maybe some small objects in the towns so there's some sign of life.

When that is done we could look at it again and test drive it. :)

Gnat;2212099']hmmm ... well' date=' I (like probably a few) have the source, but the question is, what is actually needed?

Whats the To-Do list?

Apart from a few tweaks like moving trees off roads, fix runway/taxiway, do something about the fake water (don't know what) ...... whats the the wish list?[/quote']

Well, I think adding Skirinka would be great iwhich is really is the island the first mission takes place. Not the highest priority, though.

In order to get more of ''Dragon Rising-feeling'' to it, I think that the terrain must be changed. Preferably slighly higher grass, mostly coloured green but also some yellow. More trees, bushes, and stones is required aswell. Random clutter, such as walls, fences etc. would also make the environment come more alive. Stuff like vehicles is obviously not that important since the player can place them. Ability to place some clutter from the editor (like Avgani-Afgani mod for arma 1) would be good I think.

Here's som comparisons I've made with Arma 2. The saturation is obviously very different in DR compared to arma 2 but that does not matte in this case.

comparison1

In this pictures lack of vegetation is the most striking thing in my opinion. Other stuff, such as barrels, trashcans, can be added but not really required since mission/campaign editors can do that. The pic below shows the same thing. Most striking is yet again grass, but also bushes in this case, the walls, and fences. Some of this can be added by missions editors

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/6181/compasison1.png

comparison2

Well... the picture pretty much tells it all. Terrain is totally bare in arma. The picture below is probably the best one. Arma 2 pic only lack in bushes and some clutter (which can be placed by map editors anyway.)

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/4789/comparison2.png

Skirinka island.

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/4842/skirinka.png

I fiddled around a little bit with the saturation which will be usefull if I create my Dragon Rising campaign. In the first picture I try to resemblence as much as possible to the saturation and atmosphere seen in the the first mission in DR.

The second picture is a more casual DR-like saturation. In the last pic I tried to get some blue-tint which is used in many night missions.

I think that with improved terrain it can have quite a lot of resemblence to DR.

saturation_1

http://img854.imageshack.us/img854/3711/morning.png

saturation_2

http://img821.imageshack.us/img821/2890/darkieu.png

night_saturation

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/6740/arma22012082223463472.png

Edited by Cyper

Yesterday's release of the VME The Chinese People's Liberation Army coincides perfectly with this debate about this island.

I'd really like to see a campaign, ideally coop, using these 2 resources.

@Cyper why do you want the island to look almost like Dragon Rising? This is Arma2 not that game that tried to call itself OFP.

@Cyper why do you want the island to look almost like Dragon Rising? This is Arma2 not that game that tried to call itself OFP.

Read Thread title, of course he wants it to look like "the real thing" it´s the whole point of this project. FPDR

Read Thread title, of course he wants it to look like "the real thing" it´s the whole point of this project. FPDR

I did read the thread title, maybe i should have explained myself better. I understand that he wants it to look like Dragon Rising, but you will only be able to get it to look near enough with the available objects in Arma2 as can be seen in his comparison screen shots.

hmmm (#2) ... well thats a big ask I think Cyper.

Was hope it was more simpler stuff like Wolle's list (mostly).

saturation and atmosphere: Not hard

Rest: Little harder.

Aside from the 2 list, just fixing buildings and other stuff I've found will take some time. Definitely cant mimic DR because I refuse to own it (and refuse to blaspheme by calling it "OFP", because it is not)

As I should have said in the last post, I won't promise anything, either a result or a timeline, but I will consider it.

... and I'm going to have to research how to do SILVIE/ALICE/WAR module compatibility ..... and stuff ;)

I don't think it has to be very close to the original. It's not possible anyway without creating the buildings and their original size/shape. So it will look different anyway, no matter what.

Sure, vegetation and stuff wouldn't hurt if it comes close to the original so there are forests where forests were etc.

But 75% of the original is good enough I'd say. :cool:

I want the real DR feeling to increase. But most of all the terrain is important.

Gnat;2212657']hmmm (#2) ... well thats a big ask I think Cyper.

Was hope it was more simpler stuff like Wolle's list (mostly).

saturation and atmosphere: Not hard

Rest: Little harder.

Aside from the 2 list' date=' just fixing buildings and other stuff I've found will take some time. Definitely cant mimic DR because I refuse to own it (and refuse to blaspheme by calling it "OFP", because it is not)

As I should have said in the last post, I won't promise anything, either a result or a timeline, but I will consider it.

... and I'm going to have to research how to do SILVIE/ALICE/WAR module compatibility ..... and stuff ;)[/quote']

I understand that.. I don't know anything about modding myself, and I am not suggesting a carbon copy of Dragon Rising and there is probably no point anyway.

As seen in the pictures the biggest flaw at this map is in my/i] opinion lack of trees and bushes. Terrain in DR is much more dense. The Salt Lake screen would for instance look ten times better if there was higher grass, more trees, and bushes. If possible, darker texture for trees and grass, but that's not really the most important thing. Proper terrian for this map would be reason enough for me to start working with a campaign. I already have missions briefings from DR written down since a earlier project in Arma 1 that failed because my computer went wacko.

My list would be:

1. Improve terrain by adding more trees, bushes, stones and random clutter (fallen trees, stone walls, wrecks, bunkers, ruins, etc.)

2. Add a few more buildings to the airport (plus fences), add a few buildings to some towns. (from arma 2 obviously)

Things such as war modules compatibility is in my opinion not the most important compared to improving terrain since it will give a more solid atmosphere.

Also, I remember that Avgani/afgani mod had a lot of clutter that you could place from the editor, including bushes and buildings.

I don't think it has to be very close to the original. It's not possible anyway without creating the buildings and their original size/shape. So it will look different anyway, no matter what.

Sure, vegetation and stuff wouldn't hurt if it comes close to the original so there are forests where forests were etc.

But 75% of the original is good enough I'd say. :cool:

Exactly. It will look ten times better if Vegetation/terrain becomes more dense. That was the point with my pics. Add Chernarus vegetation and it will look much better.

Edited by Cyper

Is there a german island creator out there that can teach me to edit islands? I want this so much finished.

Currently no one take this project under his hands or?

Com on guys, this is the most promising map i ever saw for ArmA2 :)

and a note to you BI guys:

I WOULD PAY YOU THE DOUBLE PRICE FOR A DLC WITH JUST THIS SINGLE MAP!!!

.... this is the most promising map i ever saw for ArmA2....

Really?!! .... I would not say so myself. Some much more interesting terrains have already been done.

I WOULD PAY YOU THE DOUBLE PRICE FOR A DLC ...

This is terrain making ...... so do you know what that works out at as an hourly rate?

..... probably about 10c an hour considering that the terrain (and grasses and buildings etc etc etc) will take several 100 hours at least ........

Hello!

Sorry to a revive a post from the grave, but my nostalgia got the better of me. I'd like to possibly get this map up and running on Arma 3. I've had a go already at placing the .pbo in its own @Skira file and running it in Arma 3 wit the AiA pack and it works to a degree. It suffers the same problem as what happens when you port other Arma 2/DayZ Standalone maps from their game directories which is the infamous pond bug. However because the map comes as one .pbo, I can't seem to actually remove the ponds.

The bug happens whenever the player looks at a pond within the render distance, but if not then it doesn't appear.

As of now, the source file download link is down and my knowledge in editing .pbos/ editing Arma 3 files is slowly growing. I'm just wondering if anyone has took this project under their shoulder, or if anyone has made any progress on a similar Skira/Kiska map.

Thanks!

• Like 1

Hello!

Sorry to a revive a post from the grave, but my nostalgia got the better of me. I'd like to possibly get this map up and running on Arma 3. I've had a go already at placing the .pbo in its own @Skira file and running it in Arma 3 wit the AiA pack and it works to a degree. It suffers the same problem as what happens when you port other Arma 2/DayZ Standalone maps from their game directories which is the infamous pond bug. However because the map comes as one .pbo, I can't seem to actually remove the ponds.

The bug happens whenever the player looks at a pond within the render distance, but if not then it doesn't appear.

As of now, the source file download link is down and my knowledge in editing .pbos/ editing Arma 3 files is slowly growing. I'm just wondering if anyone has took this project under their shoulder, or if anyone has made any progress on a similar Skira/Kiska map.

Thanks!

Hey man-I wish you luck :) About the pond bug-talk to either the CUP guys,or the guy who release the @ascz map fix pack.He fixed the waterline issue on a huge amount of 3rd party Arma2 maps :)

• Like 1

On 11/13/2015 at 2:51 AM, ChaplinLIVE said:

Hello!

Thanks!

you can fix the waterline issue yourself by using PBO manager.

I just did it and he map is working fine,no ponds of course but no waterline.

PBO manager and open the PBO,Delete the two pond references and it works fine