ZeroG

ZGM Mapmaking Tutorial

Nevermind got it now, Completed the tutorial now and i have no idea how to get the map to the game.

Edited by Waltsu

I'm wanting to create an island that is a recreation of the Bahrain-Saudi Arabia "Border Island".

I looked at your tutorial, but it won't work in my case.

How can I create my island?

Why wont it work in your case? You can choose any place in the world?

Well for one I have no idea what I am doing, two: this island is on the causeway from Bahrain to Saudi Arabia and does not show up on Aster, three I think there is something having to do with shaders and exe that has something to help operate bulldozer that I don't have correct.

The island is flat and shaped alot like a dog bone.

Shape: "O=O" kinda.

Length: 2 miles maybe

sits kinda cockeyed

http://img847.imageshack.us/img847/6666/collagenova.png

I plan on recreating it and naming it Nova Island. I'd like to think it would be like UTES except no airport and this is a man-made island that will be urban/industrial.

So when I try and get the sat img from UMD, it only downloads one image. I put all the values in dd.ddddddd format. Tried different zoom settings to no avail. The only way I can get UMD to download more than one image is to leave out one of the Lon/Lat values. I am using the full version of UMD 6.62. Any ideas?

To be honest, I always copy and paste coordinates 1:1 from Global mapper to UMD with the same format as you describe....and always download 12000-48000 files?!

So when I try and get the sat img from UMD, it only downloads one image. I put all the values in dd.ddddddd format. ...

Take care to use the correct decimal-symbol. I accidently used "," instead of "." and had the same problem. In my case it should have something to do with european decimal settings or so.

regards

Laminator

p.s.: thx ZeroG for this great tutorial, really curious for the upcoming parts:)

Sure I'll continue that, but unluckily, I'm on a mission atm till August.

That's why I'm having an iron cross as AVATAR ;-)

Ah ok. Well good luck then man. When I have a real internet connection yours will be the first tutorial I follow.

Thanks!!

Yeah, if you really wanna put effort in it, the first steps already shown should take you long enough until I finish part 3 :cool:

Just a quick post to say thanks for the great tutorial - it has really been very helpful.

Hello folks!

Well, with ARMA3 on the horizon and (hopefully) better editing tools, I will continue my map creation-accompanying-tutorial with that release, as my A2 map would surely still take 3 months of daily work, which I don't have at the moment and which I see in vain once A3 is released.

However though, I will continue to write tutorials, no matter which version of the game :rolleyes:

Well, with ARMA3 on the horizon and (hopefully) better editing tools

!! :confused: 12 or more months for a possible release PLUS another 6-12 months wait for any tools .......... that is a long time in the ArmA2 world.

Gnat;1958758']!! :confused: 12 or more months for a possible release PLUS another 6-12 months wait for any tools .......... that is a long time in the ArmA2 world.

True. But at the moment, I am focussed on working on a Warfare improvement and as I said: finishing my map would take at least 3-6 months, if I WASNT doint anything besides that project.

After the release of A3, A2 will soon be forgotten about...just look how many threads there are already! So, continuing on such a big project as my map will be useless, as too few people will actually use it....

Hi guys,

First of all great tutorial!

After trying a lot things for several times and f*** around with the folder structure of my island i've reached a point where I can say "lets start doing something that will look great" ;-)

I have a Addition to the tutorial, If you use GM you can make the Streets from the downloaded Vector-Layer broader via Tools>Configure>LineStyles, that will save you some work in photoshop or gimp.

Ok i've reached a lot so far, but still there are some questions, I'm from Germany and would appreciate to talk or write with someone who is still doing island building for arma2. At th moment: how can i move vertices of e-G. a wood placed in visitor3 or make more sophisticated areas than a square.

Please Write me a PM or answer to this.

Also wenn jemand das liest und am Erfahrungsaustausch interessiert ist.

Ich würde mich freuen, denn zusammengetragenes wissen bringt einen gleich viel weiter.

Grüße Wessix

Hey ZeroG I'm following your map making tutorial and I ran into a problem. When I use the Universal map downloader in your tutorial you get 2 big pictures that you had to combine and it was real high quality I used the 17 zoom as well and got 1 tiny picture 256 x 256. So if you know would the source of the problem is could you please let me know. Thanks for the tutorial as well its great.

Thanks,

Holloway

Hey ZeroG I'm following your map making tutorial and I ran into a problem. When I use the Universal map downloader in your tutorial you get 2 big pictures that you had to combine and it was real high quality I used the 17 zoom as well and got 1 tiny picture 256 x 256. So if you know would the source of the problem is could you please let me know. Thanks for the tutorial as well its great.

Thanks,

Holloway

I had the same problems when i was using OpenDNS, problem went away when i switched to Google DNS servers instead.

Maybe it will work for you too.

I had the same problems when i was using OpenDNS, problem went away when i switched to Google DNS servers instead.

Maybe it will work for you too.

Negative problem is consistent on all servers

Ah, there is some issue with the hosting server, because it has changed. Unfortunately, I will only be able to update it in 2 weeks...

please guys i just finished part one and i cant seem to find the rest of the parts any where and in Armaholic they siad that there is part two somewhere so can someone tells me how can i get it please it is one fine tut and i really like to finish it

thanks in advance :)