Sign in to follow this  
carlostex

Class BodyArmor

I think BIS should implement a class called BodyArmor. Instead of having hit points for soldier classes we could have a body armor class that would be qualified as equipment with its own protection hit points for the distinct body parts.

Lets say inside class bodyarmor we would have:

class Interceptor; (US Army standard body armor)

then we would have hit points for HEAD, BODY, LEGS, HANDS etc...

class 6B12 (Russian body armor)

class noarmor (for soldiers wearing clothes only)

this would have zero protection

class kevlar (for law enforcement units)

class DragonSkin (for mercenaries like PMC DLC)

Then on the soldier classes we would have the string

Bodyarmor="Interceptor" or "DragonSkin" according to what was suitable.

I think this would be better, and this would allow better simulation specially when certain rounds hit targets. Its pretty annoing to see a civilian being hit by a pistol round on the body and look like nothing happened. A pistol round should kill a civilian even at the round maximum range. The same round would be of course be blocked by even weaker body armor as kevlar.

Just an idea but tell me what you think about it.

This is a fantastic idea. It would certainly be a step up from the basic hit-point system.

You guys wanna try and make something like this?

I have toyed with the armor, armorStructural, headArmor, bodyArmor, legArmor, handArmor, headPassthrough, bodyPassthrough, legPassthrough and handPassthrough values enough to get a regular unarmored soldier with realistic protection from all different rounds.

I also have a plan for a body armor function to be called apon after checking the value of a new variable I added to each units' configs called armorPlates that is either 100 or 0 on startup (sorry this will not allow stuff like kevlar to be taken into account yet because the way rounds pass through or not is very basic at the moment) that checks if the round is armour piercing (armorPiercing = 1 or 0 in round's config) and can come through or whether it will be blocked negating all damage. This will be done by having an end result as 1 or 0, which will be returned to the original damage formula as a damage multiplier, 1 keeping everything the same but this means it bypassed armour and 0 meaning no damage is done because the round was stopped.

Whether or not it is blocked another new variable (armorDamage) will deduct points from the unit's armorPlates until it reaches 0, allowing rounds through as if the armour isn't there at all.

This should be better than just uping the armor and bodyArmor values and decreasing the amount of bodyPassthrough because it wont make stuff like the head invincible as a compensation and will allow for AP ammo and body armour health that goes down with each shot, but as body armour isn't a new section (like head, arms, legs and torso) no damage whatsoever to the armour will also go to the player.

I may need help testing and with scripting, and a couple extra hands never hurt anyone, especially if the project is carried on in more detail afterwards. :)

in my opinion a LOD should be used to determine where the body armor is. That way if you have custom units, you can have better or worse areas of coverage depending on the plate carrier. Perhaps that's too complicated over multiplayer, however.

Any system is better over the current anyway.

in my opinion a LOD should be used to determine where the body armor is. That way if you have custom units' date=' you can have better or worse areas of coverage depending on the plate carrier. Perhaps that's too complicated over multiplayer, however.

Any system is better over the current anyway.[/quote']

Why would it be more complicated in the MP? There could be additional settings in the geo or fire LOD that would define the different areas (similar to the way one can define the penetrations for vehicles)

Sometimes in other games bodyarmor affects player's agility\stamina\speed and so on, because the armor increase your weight. But in ARMA2 official game, there isn't a weight concept, unless you add some MODs to simulate it.

So, if you want BIS to add bodyarmor class, maybe you first should want BIS to add weight parameter in config.

Hopefully arma3 will have the weight concept at least for player himself.

So, if you want BIS to add bodyarmor class, maybe you first should want BIS to add weight parameter in config.

Important point. You shouldn't get something for nothing!

Agreed. Different types of body armor should influence player speed, movement, handling of weapons, etc.