Sign in to follow this  
sgt_savage

The Unsung MOD (Vietnam War) Arma 2 Release

... yeah theres many different colored mud\clay\dirt! from what my uncle said the red mud is actually clay...and i think he said it gets turned that color from the sun and also i believe has something to do with the vegitation??? but even tho the color is very realistic when compared to my uncles pics..so the "Red Mud" is spot on but maby for the sake of our sanity and blindness(which btw vietnam in full sunlight can be very blinding in RL) maby the red should be toned down i tiny bit!

Also to all the people saying stuff like..."i cant see the ppl trying to shoot me, or i never get to do anything in an egagement but shoot blindly in the jungle" well...thats the point and thats about how most engagments in Nam went..and my uncle said you would almost never ever see or find any bodys of the enemy and half the time you didnt know who u was fighting(NVA\VC) and even when they planed ambushes on you, many times you could just as easly suprise them! and from the pics my uncle showed me, you guys would be amazed at just how dence the jungles was..you cant see 20ft infront of you, and you cant move easly with out choping your way throw the jungle..my uncle described it as trying to walk throw giant "wooden\plant" Spider Webs! as everything is a mess of tangled thick trees...bushes\plants interwoven with thick-had to cut Vines(with purty green tree vipers in it..lol so watch witch vines you grab, cause some grab back)!

Dave,

There is red mud/clay in Vietnam because of its volcanic origins there is high iron content. The color is a rusty brown. The map is fine we don't have to nit pick but if we want realism it could be toned down a bit.

I don't mind that I can't see the enemy and I don't mind that they may detect me and shoot forcing me to hug the ground where I can't see anything. At that point it is move or die. That is very realistic. However I don't like how they can see me through the jungle at 200 meters without the benefit of elevation. That is so unrealistic it cancels out the other realistic elements of the map.

I would like to see the view block on this map addressed before other maps are released. I could spend many, many hours running missions on this map if the vegitation provided concealment for both sides.

I love the map the way it is. It recreates perfectly a dense jungle. I saw combat footage of the Ashau Valley. Triple canopee. The firefights were always blind firefights. The US troops didn't see the enemy in front of them. I believe the LOWLAND map is an outstanding piece of fine artwork smooth to play and no FPS drop. I'm running a Dualcore really low end and I have no issues in putting around 200 units in a mission.

I understand the frustration when you don't see the foe, but I get used to it somehow.

Max kills I achieved in the dense jungle were 2 and most probably lucky ones.

Most of the times no kill, but I do accept this and it's not less fun to me.

It's the atmosphere which holds me in the grip.

Lowland represents a perfect jungle map for wich I was waiting for quite some time now.

Thanks to Unsung for this mod

kind regards

p.s. Yeah if the viewblock issue for the AI could be resolved it would be something really awesome.

Edited by nettrucker

Well, PvP is no problem with the current jungle growth. But AI is a different matter - they can spot a pixel of you ;)

Well, PvP is no problem with the current jungle growth. But AI is a different matter - they can spot a pixel of you ;)

Yeah I know. But I accept this map as it is. it would be great if viewblock for the AI could be applied so the AI won't be all unforgiving.

kind regards

some humble suggestions to improve the heavy weapons:

class uns_m406vest: uns_m406gren
{
 scope = 2;
 type = "3 * 256";
 displayName = "M-406 40mm HE Grenade Vest";
 picture = "\uns_weap\m79\m_vest_he.paa";
 count = 25;
 descriptionShort = "M-406 40mm Grenade Vest";
};
class uns_m576vest: CA_Magazine
{
 scope = 2;
 type = "3 * 256";
 displayName = "M-576 40mm Buckshot Vest";
 picture = "\uns_weap\m79\m_vest_bs.paa";
 ammo = "uns_40mm_buck";
 initSpeed = 80;
 count = 25;
 descriptionShort = "M-576 40mm Buckshot Vest";
};
class uns_m72rocket: CA_LauncherMagazine
{
 scope = 2;
 displayName = "M-72 Rocket";
 ammo = "uns_m72ammo";
 type = "2*  256";
 picture = "\uns_weap\m72\m_lawlauncher.paa";
 modelSpecial = "\uns_weap\m72\uns_m72";
 model = "\uns_weap\m72\uns_m72e";
 initSpeed = 285;
 descriptionShort = "M-72 Launcher";
};

the M72 and vests will take up more ammo slots if you use this script above in your config

well I managed to get the M79 onto my left shoulder (and chosen secondary to M16:

m79_sec.jpg

but there is no anim to make it come off when it is selected.... has anyone got any ideas?

here is the script i've been building to make a secondary M79 and EX41

class Launcher;
class uns_GLsec: Launcher
{
 handAnim[] = {"OFP2_ManSkeleton","\Ca\weapons\data\Anim\RPG7.rtm"};// this was a fudge i put in... not sure how to make a rifle come off the left shoulder - is there an anim for this anywhere?
 autoFire = 1;
 reloadAction = "ManActReloadMagazine";
 soundContinuous = 0;
 optics = 0;
 scope = 1;
 cursor = "RifleCursor";
 cursoraim = "Foresight";
 cursorSize = 1;
 value = 4;
 displayName = "$STR_DN_RIFLE";
 nameSound = "rifle";
 reloadTime = 0.15;
 modelOptics = "-";
 sound[] = {""};
 drySound[] = {"\ca\Weapons\Data\Sound\M16_cock_v1",0.000316228,1,10};
 reloadSound[] = {"",1,1};
 reloadMagazineSound[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\rifles\reload-m16-3",0.0562341,1,10};
 bullet1[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_metal_04",0.177828,1,15};
 bullet2[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_metal_03",0.177828,1,15};
 bullet3[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_metal_02",0.177828,1,15};
 bullet4[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_metal_01",0.177828,1,15};
 bullet5[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_dirt_07",0.316228,1,15};
 bullet6[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_dirt_09",0.316228,1,15};
 bullet7[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_dirt_10",0.316228,1,15};
 bullet8[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_dirt_12",0.316228,1,15};
 bullet9[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_soft_05",0.177828,1,15};
 bullet10[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_soft_09",0.177828,1,15};
 bullet11[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_soft_10",0.177828,1,15};
 bullet12[] = {"ca\sounds\weapons\shells\small_shell_soft_13",0.177828,1,15};
 soundBullet[] = {"bullet1",0.083,"bullet2",0.083,"bullet3",0.083,"bullet4",0.083,"bullet5",0.083,"bullet6",0.083,"bullet7",0.083,"bullet8",0.083,"bullet9",0.083,"bullet10",0.083,"bullet11",0.083,"bullet12",0.083};
 opticsFlare = 0;
 autoReload = 0;
 aiDispersionCoefX = 6;
 aiDispersionCoefY = 6;
 opticsZoomMin = 0.25;
 opticsZoomMax = 1.1;
 opticsZoomInit = 0.5;
 distanceZoomMin = 300;
 distanceZoomMax = 300;
 maxLeadSpeed = 23;
 canLock = 0;
 flash = "gunfire";
 flashSize = 0.5;
 dispersion = 0.0001;
 recoil = "assaultRifleBase";
 recoilProne = "assaultRifleBase";
 ffMagnitude = 0.5;
 ffFrequency = 11;
 ffCount = 3;
};
class uns_m79_sec: uns_GLsec
{
 scope = 2;
 displayName = "M-79 40mm w/ Shoulder Strap";
 model = "\uns_weap\m79\uns_m79";
 picture = "\uns_weap\m79\w_m79.paa";
 UiPicture = "\CA\weapons\data\Ico\i_regular_CA.paa";
 magazines[] = {"uns_m406gren","uns_m406vest","uns_m576buck","uns_m576vest","uns_40mm_white","uns_40mm_green","uns_40mm_red","uns_40mm_yellow","uns_m406gren_5Rnd","uns_m576buck_5Rnd","uns_40mm_white_5Rnd","uns_40mm_green_5Rnd","uns_40mm_red_5Rnd","uns_40mm_yellow_5Rnd"};
 drySound[] = {"\uns_weap\m79\m79_dry",0.000316228,1};
 reloadMagazineSound[] = {"\uns_weap\m79\m79_reload",0.0562341,1,20};
 sound[] = {"\uns_weap\m79\m79_fire",1.2,1,600};
 reloadTime = 2.5;
 magazineReloadTime = 0;
 recoil = "M240Recoil";
 recoilProne = "M240Recoil";
 autoReload = 0;
 dispersion = 0.001;
 minRange = 30;
 minRangeProbab = 0.4;
 midRange = 145;
 midRangeProbab = 0.8;
 maxRange = 350;
 maxRangeProbab = 0.4;
};
class uns_ex41_sec: uns_GLsec
{
 scope = 2;
 displayName = "EX-41 40mm w/ Shoulder Strap";
 model = "\uns_weap\ex41\uns_ex41";
 picture = "\uns_weap\ex41\w_ex41.paa";
 UiPicture = "\CA\weapons\data\Ico\i_regular_CA.paa";
 magazines[] = {"uns_m406gren","uns_m406vest","uns_m576buck","uns_m576vest","uns_40mm_white","uns_40mm_green","uns_40mm_red","uns_40mm_yellow","uns_m406gren_5Rnd","uns_m576buck_5Rnd","uns_40mm_white_5Rnd","uns_40mm_green_5Rnd","uns_40mm_red_5Rnd","uns_40mm_yellow_5Rnd","uns_ex41mag","uns_ex41mag_5Rnd"};
 drySound[] = {"\uns_weap\m79\m79_dry",0.000316228,1};
 reloadMagazineSound[] = {"\uns_weap\m79\m79_reload",0.0562341,1,20};
 sound[] = {"\uns_weap\ex41\ex41_fire",1.5,1,500};
 reloadTime = 2.5;
 magazineReloadTime = 0;
 recoil = "M240Recoil";
 recoilProne = "M240Recoil";
 autoReload = 0;
 dispersion = 0.01;
 minRange = 25;
 minRangeProbab = 0.4;
 midRange = 250;
 midRangeProbab = 0.9;
 maxRange = 350;
 maxRangeProbab = 0.3;
};

Guys, we know about the AI shooting you at a big distance, we will do our best to sort it, please give us time to fix these bugs.

some humble suggestions to improve the heavy weapons:

class uns_m72rocket: CA_LauncherMagazine
{
 scope = 2;
 displayName = "M-72 Rocket";
 ammo = "uns_m72ammo";
 type = "2*  256";
 picture = "\uns_weap\m72\m_lawlauncher.paa";
 modelSpecial = "\uns_weap\m72\uns_m72";
 model = "\uns_weap\m72\uns_m72e";
 initSpeed = 285;
 descriptionShort = "M-72 Launcher";
};

the M72 and vests will take up more ammo slots if you use this script above in your config

Thanks eggbeast! Our intention for the M-72 rocket is not to take up that much room. The launcher is already loaded with a single shot, no need to take up additional space in your gear loadout. Sort of like double counting, no? The launcher/rocket are basically one unit so they were assigned a single space because they are thrown over a shoulder or in this case, attached to the grunts' packs. We are looking to make the M-72 un-reloadable in the future so enjoy that while it lasts.

Guys, we know about the AI shooting you at a big distance, we will do our best to sort it, please give us time to fix these bugs.

Thanks. If this issue could be settled suitably ( another issue is that dont let AI becomes too silly ) , I think the heavy jungle would become useful for players.

It might just be me, but it seems when making banking turns with the helicopters in this mod - they gain a huge amount of acceleration. (Like, from 20 to 120 knots in two seconds) - can anyone else confirm?

Are you guys running just the UNSUNG mod or do you use other addons with it?

I love the map the way it is. It recreates perfectly a dense jungle. I saw combat footage of the Ashau Valley. Triple canopee. The firefights were always blind firefights. The US troops didn't see the enemy in front of them. I believe the LOWLAND map is an outstanding piece of fine artwork smooth to play and no FPS drop. I'm running a Dualcore really low end and I have no issues in putting around 200 units in a mission.

Jesus christ, i'll say it AGAIN... i'm NOT talking about changing the lowland map, my wishes were for next map.

Yeah sure it can be fun with blind fights, but seriously for how long :confused:

Also i have no performance issues whatsover and got no problems with AI seeing you as you can adjust the difficulty to make up for that.

running ace

---------- Post added at 01:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:18 AM ----------

How can we refuel repair and rearm the vehicles and aircraft well got the repair working but refuel and rearm isnt :( any ideas

Running combined operations with @UNS and the latest beta.

I'm running CO, with unsung, warfx and pistolfied tracers, its a wicked combination

hey guys have you thought about using yoma's addon sync for this? Being such a big mod I think it could really use it :P

We are running it with various home-brewed additions (sounds, configs, model tweaks and the like). It is hard not to rummage around, but we will keep it private so no-one gets hurt.

is there a class that can disable traps? and still wondering bout refuel and re arming the vehicles

http://imageshack.dk//viewimage.php?file=/imagesfree/Cva11962.jpg

Proof of concept: if you're not using a pack, you still have the normal pack that comes with the model, no changes there. If you don a pack you can't carry a LAW (for obvious reasons) but you do get all the benefits that come with the OA pack system. And with a bit of retexturing the new pack "merges" with the old one, making it look like you just have a bigger pack.

Ok seems there's a few noses getting put outta joint here regarding the AI. To reiterate my team mates we are looking into it. As far as making our maps less dense well let me say that's how it is. There will be more maps released later on that will have open areas but will retain some areas dense as seen in lowlands.

Wolfrug and I have a working DSAI module in there that needs to be expanded so hopefully in the coming months you will actually hear the VC/NVA which may help you a bit. .

The problem really lies in the tactics... A lot of the community is still trying to fight a conventional war with a good line of sight. This is not the case here. When the team (unsung) actually do play online together we take it very slow use scouting techniques and try and avoid the enemy where possible.

Anyway we are looking into the AI side of things to make it a more pleasurable experience for ALL players...Its like anything its still an ALPHA and we are listening to the community and we will address the problems in turn.

Please be patient , some of us are gettin on a bit , have families and hetic work commitments. Years ago it was a different story....oh those were the days I could sleep in without having some little treasure run in the bedroom , jump on the bed and crush my nuts each morning :yikes: :cry2: .

Just wanted to say great job on the island the vegetation density feels fantastic. Haven't had a chance to try any missions so far. But have thrown a few empty vehicles and units down on the airstrip for a look-see (A-OA with BAF and Beta).

FYI my biggest frame hit was at the airstrip amongst the units, roaming the island on my own was fine. I didnt have time to investigate further. But over all performance was pretty good.

Some people just have to understand that if you are going to use the ArmA engine to play in a miriad of environments then you have to adjust your video settings as required and make it work for you, instead of thinking one setting is good for all.

LOL @Sav!!

@Berserker yes the enviroments ofcourse have a big effect of frame rate so maybe for some it may have to be changed, however, the experiance will not chance as you have stated, i know cj525 amd gi ect ect have worked on this to a large degree, so as for settings.. its what you can get the best experiance out of.

Kind Regards Jeza UNS

I still would like to see china lake's natic 40mm pump-action GL with buckshot ammo, BUT ONLY with jamming script(similar to ACE's) with 25-33% of jamming for buckshot ammo ;)

P.S. I pray for this :pray: