Sign in to follow this  
celery

[SP] Dawn of the Apocalypse (A2)

cly_dota_3.png

South Zagoria is being overrun in a massive surprise attack conducted using the cover of a Sunday night when the Christian country is sleeping or otherwise indoors. You are the only one who can alert the sleeping Chernarus and avert total disaster for the CDF and the country's population. This is the prologue and a proof-of-concept mission made by yours truly to a COOP series that is conceived by Zipper5 and me.

Requirements:

Arma 2

Installation:

Put the pbo file into your ArmA 2\MPMissions folder.

>Download version 1.1<

Changelog:

v1.1

• Removed Operation Arrowhead requirement: the mission now uses OA content only if the game is detected
  • Updated scripts to match Chernarus Apocalypse, part 3 v1.3
  • Added multiplayer support

v1.06

• New script template with too many changes to mention
  • Difficulty level is more humane
  • Requires Combined Operations as of this version

v1.05

• Fixed silly AI behavior introduced in 1.04

v1.04

• Fixed a ladder issue
  • Added lights downstairs
  • Tweaked some minor things

v1.03

• New enemy type
  • Visual damage feedback
  • Score is updated

v1.01

• Fixed an addWeapon bug
  • Removed OA command

OFPEC review:

http://www.ofpec.com/missions_depot/index.php?action=details&id=296

Edited by Celery

Hi, this is how my first session went:

First 2 times I played the game I didn't have any weapons (I think this is a bug?), I tried running at the radio tower like 20 zombies growling behind me. I got to the yard where the radio tower is, tried to look for some shelter or place where I should go but the zombies surrounded me and then I died.

Tried again. By looking at the map precisely I figured out it was the tower itself I had to enter. By gathering all the zombies around the radio tower yard behind me by running around first I hoped to buy some time just enough to enter the tower in one piece. Well, I succeeded but once I opened the door and rushed inside a zombie slashed me dead lurking inside the tower. They are everywhere!

Tried for the third time. This time I got a shotgun and a pistol, that's more like it! This time I had a better plan though, involving the UAZ I had at the start point. I ran at the tower and back, again, about 20 zombies drooling behind me. Then I quickly ran back to the start point and hopped inside the UAZ and tried ramming the zombies down running in a single blob. Unfortunately I managed only to kill 5-8 of them until the fuel ran out. I disembarked and started shooting at the 10+ zombies left. Emptied the whole cartridge chamber with the shotgun and got only 1 zombie down. Then I was eaten alive. The shotgun was like a pee shooter against these creatures.

4th go. I ran at the tower yard and back again trying to lure as much zombies behind me as possible. Took the UAZ and then just drove back at the tower yard leaving a butt load of zombies at the start point way behind me, only to find out there are like 10 more zombies still standing around at the tower. Well, disembarked and tried entering the tower while shooting the zombies in the way, still failing. I died trying to open the tower door.

I guess this is one of those by-the-skin-of-my-teeth kind of missions. Haven't figured out yet how to complete the first task. Very scary mission too. :)

Oh, and through the mission I had a script error repeating itself. This is from the .rpt file:

Error in expression <removeBackpack _zombie>

Error position: <removeBackpack _zombie>

Error Undefined variable in expression: removebackpack

Error in expression <removeBackpack _zombie>

Error position: <_zombie>

Error Missing ;

I'm running the original Arma 2 with a few addons.

I just finished Amnesia: The dark descent so my nerves did not really need this, when i saw the first zombie i emptied the shotgun clips trying to hit him(my nerves are that shattered yes), then i found out the makarov was very accurate thanks to your kewl script. Still havent managed to finish it yet, but awesome experience so far. And no addons required :thumbsup:

Kewl stuff, 10/10.

Hi, this is how my first session went:

The missing weapon thing isn't supposed to happen. Can't say for sure whether it's the addons you're running or a flaw in the scripts. Either way, I resorted to adding the stuff the old fashioned way without a script so it might be more resistant to errors.

Oh, and through the mission I had a script error repeating itself. This is from the .rpt file:

Looks like I put an OA command into an A2 mission, my bad! It's fixed in the 1.01 version that I just uploaded. :)

Mission updated to version 1.03

• New enemy type
  • Visual damage feedback
  • Score is updated
  • Fixed a slowdown at the end

Link in first post. ;)

Awesome!

Played the 1.01 version to the end, finished it on the first try. Basically the idea isn't to try to kill all the zombies: you ain't got enough bullets for that. The idea is to RUUUNNNN.

I particularly liked the zombie who appeared behind the door when you got to the top of the tower :p Although there was another zombie on the top of the ladder, but it just died by itself for some reason when I climbed over it? Oh well.

Love the Thief zombie sounds: the creepiest zombie moans in any game, ever. Good job!

Regards,

Wolfrug

Thanks for the praises, it goes to say that my first SP mission ever isn't completely shit. :p

I recorded a playthrough of the mission in case someone wanted to see it:

One of the hardest community-made missions for ArmA II, that's for sure. I'll give it another go now that it's updated. ;)

Apparently this is supposed to be a prologue for another mission, which one is that?

Mission updated to version 1.04

• Fixed a ladder issue
  • Added lights downstairs
  • Tweaked some minor things

King Nothing, please tell me if you run into the no weapon bug again.

Apparently this is supposed to be a prologue for another mission, which one is that?

Finish the mission and you shall know. :p

Edited by Celery

Mission updated to version 1.05

Fixed a fatal, yet comical AI behavior bug caused by an addition in 1.04. I hope not many saw it. :rolleyes:

Edited by Celery

Good mission, grand fun.

Ran it once, grabbed the UAZ, ran out of fuel. Not sure what I was up against, pepperpotted towards the woods, waiting for BMPs/patrols/Hinds to pop out of nowhere. Noted quiet and ominous music. Was prone next to a bush when two zombies started beating me up. Jumped up and ran like hell out of the woods into a small fenced yard. Shot said zombies. Was crouched near a fence wondering exactly how to finish this when a third and previously unseen zombie crept up and cut me down from behind. Note to self: no crouching near fences.

At first, I thought this was going to be like Cobalt or Black Forest. I was expecting Spetsnaz soldiers to come out of the woods. Little did I know, a fucking zombie comes running out of the woods! I fire six shotgun slugs into his chest to no avail. :D

Edited by Laqueesha

At first, I thought this was going to be like Cobalt or Black Forest. I was expecting Spetsnaz soldiers to come out of the woods. Little did I know, a fucking zombie comes running out of the woods! I fire six shotgun slugs into his chest to no avail. :D

Aim for the head dude! Do you not read zombie novels? I thought everyone knew to shoot zombies in the Cranium!!! :eek:

Great mission, I haven't beaten it yet but it has the perfect atmosphere and really makes you fear how many are going to come after you. Can't wait for whatever this is a prologue to.

Quick question..

If this is a prologue to an upcoming series, should we assume the series will also be focusing on zombies?

Or was this just for something different?

Updated to version 1.06, link in first post. The changes reflect the ones that have been made to the scripts in the coop series, and they're great enough to warrant another try from those who have already played (and possibly been disheartened by) the mission. :)

The mission requires Combined Operations as of now, and the weapons are more useful as a result. I'm also submitting this version to be criticized by the venerable reviewers at OFPEC.