Every unit, for every skill defined, has a base minimum skill level to which a small random level is added

This may have been asked and I though I would just make the point to confirm, is this base level off of you skill settings in you profile? Or does it not take that into account and works in its own calculation? IE if I raise the level in config is the base random from that level?

I assume it isnt, but as In not completely sure I thought I would ask.

Each class has a configured asr_aiskill in cfgVehicles. For example:

USMC_SoldierS_Sniper has asr_aiskill = 1;

In userconfig, the corresponding config entry is the second line:

["aimingAccuracy",[0.60,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.60,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.70,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.70,0.25],"spotTime",[0.60,0.25],"courage",[0.60,0.25]], //asr_aiskill 1

The format is: "skilltype_1",[min_base_skill_1, random_skill_added_to_base_1], ...

For example, you want level 1 units to have the a spottingDistance skill between 0.8 and 0.9, you change the above to:

["aimingAccuracy",[0.60,0.25],"aimingShake",[0.60,0.25],"aimingSpeed",[0.70,0.25],"spotDistance",[0.80,0.10],"spotTime",[0.60,0.25],"courage",[0.60,0.25]],

The unit level (asr_aiskill, from 0 - 9) is preset and can only be changed with another addon that overwrites it.

Edited by Robalo_AS

Your userconfig is all commented, which means default values are used.

Please read first post, this mod automatically assigns skills based on unit type. It actually ensures the SF will always be better than the armed peasants, contrary to what you're trying to accomplish. Unless you edit your userconfig, of course, but keep in mind that applies to all missions. That's why I suggested you disable this for the atypical mission.

Bizon SMG (9mm pistol ammo) against SCARs ? Guess who's gonna win that in open terrain.

Well then I guess that this addon works! I was just confused and thought that assigning skill to a unit individually would drastically affect them.

If the Bizon has proper dispersion because of its short sight rail, the SCARs will win. If not, I used to use the Bizon like a silent LMG in Operation Flashpoint: Resistance. The large mag capacity meant I could keep peppering someone while they were busy reloading.

I like the feeling of chimps flinging doodoo at each other that it provides.

Quality. :D

Each class has a configured asr_aiskill in cfgVehicles. For example:

USMC_SoldierS_Sniper has asr_aiskill = 1;

In userconfig, the corresponding config entry is the second line:

The format is: "skilltype_1",[min_base_skill_1, random_skill_added_to_base_1], ...

For example, you want level 1 units to have the a spottingDistance skill between 0.8 and 0.9, you change the above to:

The unit level (asr_aiskill, from 0 - 9) is preset and can only be changed with another addon that overwrites it.

I'm confused as to how and where the mod file '..\userconfig\asr\config_aiskills.hpp' file reads the cfgVehicle

Where does the cfgVehicles reside (or suppose to reside)? (I don't see it within '..\@asr\addons\asr_aiskills.pbo (when extracted))

Very good question from London Lad.

Can you explain how we use files in the the asr_aiskill-1.2\pbo_source\asr_aiskill directory?

Specifically how do we link the CfgVehicles.hpp to the

config_aiskill.hpp considering that we only add the @asr to the ArmA 2 directory and the unserconfig/asr to the ArmA 2/aserconfig directory?

How can we tweak the skills for a specific vehicle/unit?

The pbo source is provided just for reference, you don't need to install it. The unit skill types are somewhat hardcoded in cfgVehicles. That means you cannot easily modify the asr_aiskill value for a certain unit, they're predefined, unless you create another config addon for that.

What the user can do is configure the skill levels corresponding to each unit's type (asr_aiskill) in userconfig (see the example in my previous post).

I never intended the users to be able to clasify the units, but to tweak the parameters of each class. But of course, any addon maker that creates a config for some new units can set the asr_aiskill as needed, or I can provide help with configs per request. Usually not needed if the class inheritance is well chosen (aka do not create militia units inheriting from spec ops classes :))

Edited by Robalo_AS

I tried to load this addon to arma2 and it says i need version 1.54 of this application. My version is 1.7 .I don't have OA. Is this mod compatible with my setup?

I tried to load this addon to arma2 and it says i need version 1.54 of this application. My version is 1.7 .I don't have OA. Is this mod compatible with my setup?

Yes it should work. My bad setting 1.54 for required version, but no excuse not to have OA either :)

Hello, same for me I have the same error message but I A2 and Ao version of steam. can remedy this message?

Hello, same for me I have the same error message but I A2 and Ao version of steam. can remedy this message?

Sure, no problem, just make sure to let Steam update your OA (should be 1.56 already).

@Rob

I just downloaded this mod and looks very promising. I have read the posts, maybe this is a silly question ,but how exactly can you change the values for units? I am using the Unsung mod (Vietnam mod) and want to change the VC unit types. They have xray vision in the jungle and I want to lower the spotdistance.

I have used GL4. I also had a page and half of arrays because of the different units I was using.

Your approach seems alot easier. Is there a way I could define units for each mission? I really don't want to change the values in userconfig. Or could I change just one of the value lines in the userconfig and then assign it to certain AI.

I guess I am just a bit confused.

Nomadd

Edited by Nomadd

Only A2+OA+BAF+ACE units are directly supported, but I could add a config for Unsung units as well. I will think about better ways to support 3rd party units.

Great mod Robalo_AS!

Will you be releasing an updated version which includes config for PMC units?

Either way, I hope to see development continue as this really makes a difference to the quality of the game in my opinion.

Great addon. How compatible is it with DAC that spawns units which have their skill set by a user configurable file ?

@Munger: Development continues, altough very slowly, this will be just a piece of something bigger I've done which will hopefully be ready for a public release some day. It's a work in progress mod which we play on our servers (if interested, latest is always up on YAS, default servers - AlphaSquad)

@verde13: After the units are spawned this addon will set their skills after 30-40 seconds so you should not bother setting skills anywhere else unless the skills are applied later.

Edited by Robalo_AS

Thanks Robalo.

Another question: if I also use Group Link 4 do I actually need to use this mod, as I believe that GL4 also does much the same thing with AI classes, or is this version more advanced in some way?

@Robalo

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the addon seems to generate depedency in missions, at least when I tried to open one of my missions I made in the editor -without enablig aiskills-, it said "asr_aiskill.pbo" is missing. I'd like to ask if this is intentional or a mere coincidence?

Thanks Robalo.

Another question: if I also use Group Link 4 do I actually need to use this mod, as I believe that GL4 also does much the same thing with AI classes, or is this version more advanced in some way?

This comes with preconfigured defaults. With GL4 there are no class distinct skill sets unless you define them for each unit type, which would mean a lot of configuring.

@Robalo

I don't know if it has been mentioned, but the addon seems to generate depedency in missions, at least when I tried to open one of my missions I made in the editor -without enablig aiskills-, it said "asr_aiskill.pbo" is missing. I'd like to ask if this is intentional or a mere coincidence?

That was fixed in version 1.2. Please verify you have the last version.

Edited by Robalo_AS

I thought I have the latest version :936: Re-downloaded, seems to be no problem anymore, thank you and sorry for my stupidity :o

Now a 2 in 1 bundle, components updated. Updated first post.