Sign in to follow this  
rejenorst

Rejenorst's Missions [SP/MP/COOP]

MARTYRDOM

mimage.jpg

I've wanted to make an urban combat mission for a while. These are a pain in the ass to make and there are plenty of better coders out there who could make much better missions like this than me but here is my attempt.

Please note that this mission requires both ARMA2 and ARMA2:OA

Performance may be an issue for plenty of people out there who already have FPS problems running Zargabad.

SITUATION:

Yesterday, the 115th Mechanized Infantry Battalion, with the help of 6th Squadron, engaged enemy forces in Zargabad. The enemy suffered heavy casualties in yesterday’s fighting. However a small cadre of enemy units managed to successfully push back coalition forces. The 115th is still engaged in operations around its forward operating base (FOB) and is otherwise engaged at the moment. The task of clearing remaining enemy sectors in Zargabad falls to the 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team which is part of a combined arms battalion. Marine Attack Squadron 513 (CROSSBOW) is also prosecuting targets in the city independent of our operations. They will notify us prior to prosecuting targets.

Mission notes:

-The tank script is highly experimental and more for cosmetics when its not actually being useful.

-Please post your RPT log for the session if you experienced any problems, also please let me know what addons you are using (I generally don't support addons but some players have found addons to work ok in my missions, this one is more complex so I don't know if addons will work, test at your own leisure.

-There are approximately a maximum of 50-60 enemy AI in the city at any time, I have created a dialogue control that kicks in at the start of the mission to allow you to set the number of enemies. The attack squad numbers are not included in that dialogue, there's around 10 infantry attack units that will attack from each objective as it is called. if requested I'll add an option to edit their number as well. If you have a weak PC you can lower the unit numbers but the dialogue will not allow less than 10 Takistani soldiers at the objective areas.

Requires: Combined Ops

Mission type: Singleplayer

Addons: None

Custom Music: Yes

Voiceacting: yes

Mission length: Apprx 30-60 mins

Mission Version: 0.9

LINK Version 0.91: http://www.rejenorst.com/projects/[sP]Martyrdom.Zargabad.rar

LINK Version 0.91: Martyrdom (@) v0.91

Changelog:

-Removed ALICE ambient civ module and made my own Civilian script, I believe ALICE module (or my improper use of it) was causing an occassional savegame CTD. Have not experienced a CTD since module was replaced with my own basic script.

-Added suicide bombers (very rare, let me know if you experience it)

-Alteration of scripts, general script fixes

-Insurgents will now hone in on your squad's sector location and move into buildings within the area, this should hopefully utilize all enemy resources.

Features: Special thanks to Zonekiller for flame script code and Cameron Mcdonald for beta testing.

-Enemy building patrols (Enemy will patrol inside buildings and displace to other buildings every now and then.

-Friendly Airstrikes.

-Ability to set enemy unit numbers.

-Randomly selected Weapon kits for both enemies and friendlies.

-Random unit starting positions.

-Randomly selected sectors as objective.

-Insurgents are spread all around the city while Takistani soldiers are concentrated in and around the objective sector(s) (If you want more dispersed fighting up the amount of insurgents, if you want more units guarding the objective then raise the amount of units guarding the objective at the start of mission).

-Battle yells.

-Ambient sounds (limited but there).

-Ability to play the mission at Dawn/Morning/Noon or Night.

-Ability to setfog.

ADDITIONAL THANKS:

-Zonekiller

-Lt.Cameron Mcdonald

-Zipper5

-Thomas

-Kju

-Xenogf

-Dwarden

-Celery

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Edited by Rejenorst

Have uploaded version 0.91 beta of this mission, please see changelog below. If anyone can give me feedback as to performance/fun factor/wishlist would be great. Thanks.

Thinking about adding but would like some feedback first as to mission performance etc:

-Occassional civilian traffic

-Ocassional insurgent unit drop off via car

-Ocassional insurgent car suicide bomb

Changelog:

-Removed ALICE ambient civ module and made my own Civilian script, I believe ALICE module (or my improper use of it) was causing an occassional savegame CTD. Have not experienced a CTD since module was replaced with my own basic script.

-Added suicide bombers (very rare, let me know if you experience it)

-Alteration of scripts, general script fixes

-Insurgents will now hone in on your squad's sector location and move into buildings within the area, this should hopefully utilize all enemy resources.

http://www.rejenorst.com/projects/%5BSP%5DMartyrdom.Zargabad.rar

Mission is ready for mirroring. Thank you.

EDIT: ARMAHOLIC LINK: LINK Version 0.91: Martyrdom (@) v0.91

Feedback welcome including criticism as it might help me improve the mission(s) in future. Thanks

Edited by Rejenorst

needless to say, this looks very promising and i wanna try it soon. since i always use ace2 mod, is it ok with these missions? i guess it is, however, just checking.

Hi Spotter, I haven't used ACE2 in any of these missions, however J Rock said that he had no problems using ACE2 with the missions however I don't know if it will work with the Martyrdom mission but feel free to test it out and let me know if it works. Thanks man.

I just finished 0.90 and now i see there is a new version.

Anyway Rejenorst, that was the best mission i've ever played. All your missions are superb but this one is brilliant. I only have one suggestion, to make the briefing a bit more detailed. Other than that, it's perfect. I hadn't had any problems at all.

Thanks a ton for the feedback man! I was worried that the mission might not live up to expectations. If I do an update for the mission I'll try to do a more detailed briefing. Cheers :)

needless to say, this looks very promising and i wanna try it soon. since i always use ace2 mod, is it ok with these missions? i guess it is, however, just checking.

McLupo has played through the mission (martyrdom) with and without ACE modification along with other modifications, a list of which you can view here: http://www.picdrop.net/?v=arma2oa2011080310391.jpg

Apparently McLupo gets an error message regarding handgrenade_west but he claims it rarely pops up and is not a mission braker.

McLupo's review (if you can speak German), can be found here:

http://www.arma2base.de/include.php?path=forumsthread&threadid=471&entries=0#post2835

McLupo mentions that the intensity of the mission is increased even further with the use of the ACE modification.

As for the other missions I think their compatible as J Rock hasn't had any problems with them and ACE.

Just trying these out for the first time (using ACE2). In Steel Garden you have overidden 'nil' in one of the scripts which gives ACE serious grief - particularly with its wounding system.

The atmosphere in the missions is great and with ACE they are extremely intense!

Hi Jedra, yea that will be the smoke effect in Steel Garden as I gave it a Nil variable which is a serious no-no. I noticed that using nil is a serious no no early on, so that problem should only occur in steel garden. Sorry about that. I will fix that up at some point soon.

Hi Jedra, yea that will be the smoke effect in Steel Garden as I gave it a Nil variable which is a serious no-no. I noticed that using nil is a serious no no early on, so that problem should only occur in steel garden. Sorry about that. I will fix that up at some point soon.

Ok cool - all the other missions play well with ACE. After playing Hunted I might have to sleep with the light on for a few days - scary stuff!!

Haha thanks man :) I am in the process of making a sequel to Hunted, but I spent so much time on th atmosphere in hunted that I think the sequel will pale in comparison :(

Super missions. Never stop mate. :)

Just started Martyrdom and havent finished it, but like a lot how it started. Both voice, fat text on screen (subs) and the odd screaming AI coming out of nowhere scaring the crap out of me. Also some confusion breaks out and although most of it comes from AI not really optimized to move through dense cities it still adds to realism.

Great work. Superb mission maker and massive thanks. ;)

EDIT: Also ran with ACE and bunch of other addons and so far i havent noticed any problems.

Hello Rejenorst,

there isn´t a bug in your mission, thats for sure!

It was my mistake, cause i´ve forgotten to disable the addon VFAI and this runs me into trouble. Sorry for that!

I played your mission 15 times and i got always a new field of experience!

Thanks a lot for that great mission, as i said you´re one of the best!

Best regards

McLupo

@Alex: Cheers man! Thanks for the feedback! I was worried that the mission might be boring for alot of players :)

@McLupo: Ah phew (noch mahl gut gegangen) :D I thought it might be addon related, glad its not a compatibility problem with ACE.

I have played the a few times but never completed it cos I get shot! LoL

Got my legs shot out from under me and spent five minuets crawling. Anyhow any chance of getting a medic to respond to wounded team members. Maybe the inclusion of a revive script would extend the game play a little.

I love the mission opening, and the variable game play is great, it would be nice if I could live past the first engagement.

PS. Just as soon as you have this as a Coop I'll run it on my dedi server. hint hint...

Haha Cheers PendragonUK :D

I will look into making a COOP version at some point.

Btw when your legs get shot out there should be an action button that allows you to bandage your legs up so that you can walk again. I only tested it once ingame but it seemed to work. Anyone else confirm this feature working?

I have noticed that medics/leaders sometimes don't respond to hurt/injured calls. I have been unsure as to how to get them to do it but the likely work around seems to be to put an action on the medics to force them to heal you. I will implement this as an option in v0.92.

A word of advise :) don't rambo, stick close to your AI squad mates and if possible stay behind them haha. In the beginning you may have to run for the cover of buildings/walls if the enemy objective sectors are: 11,12,13,14 or15.

I am also currently working on a version of martyrdom using the Fallujah Map v 1.2.

The problem with Fallujah is the low number of enterable buildings but there are still large numbers of buildings with rooftops etc. Still running tests and will have to see how the gameplay goes (Will need more attack squads in this one I reckon).

Just finished Hunted and its great mission, nice effects i like the soundtruck, this mission have great atmosfer, now i will play rest of your missions.

Haha Cheers PendragonUK :D

I will look into making a COOP version at some point.

Btw when your legs get shot out there should be an action button that allows you to bandage your legs up so that you can walk again. I only tested it once ingame but it seemed to work. Anyone else confirm this feature working?

I have noticed that medics/leaders sometimes don't respond to hurt/injured calls. I have been unsure as to how to get them to do it but the likely work around seems to be to put an action on the medics to force them to heal you. I will implement this as an option in v0.92.

A word of advise :) don't rambo, stick close to your AI squad mates and if possible stay behind them haha. In the beginning you may have to run for the cover of buildings/walls if the enemy objective sectors are: 11,12,13,14 or15.

I am also currently working on a version of martyrdom using the Fallujah Map v 1.2.

The problem with Fallujah is the low number of enterable buildings but there are still large numbers of buildings with rooftops etc. Still running tests and will have to see how the gameplay goes (Will need more attack squads in this one I reckon).

It worked for me.

Hey Rejenorst, don't you think A New War deserves some primetime in this thread?

The final cutscene freezes my computer completely in CO, but it's still a blast.

this is INTENSE! hiding behind the tank with enemy machine gun laying fire at my position and the behemoth infront of me fired it's cannon... instantly killing the machine gunner on the 1st floor building by blowing the whole damn floor up! INTENSE!

really engaging mission you have there Rejenorst. Hope your Fallujah version comes soon...

@Verde13: Thanks glad that's working!

@Maturin, can you test this out and let me know if there's any crashes?

http://www.rejenorst.com/projects/TC2M1.Chernarus.rar

All lip files should have been replaced. Also replaced that RPG'er at the end who would duck down and hide.

I will probably change the storyline briefing to take place after the events of my Insurgent missions and make it somewhat of a spinoff mission. The coding is sadly not as efficient as it could have been and is one of my older missions. Anyone wanting to stress test their CPU feel free to test. I will release is officially after changing the briefing etc and some minor touchups.

@tom3kb: Cheers man :) I hope to make another 2-3 insurgent missions for that storyline but they probably won't be as nice as the first.

@Muhahaha: I love it when that happens :) Its a rare but golden moment. The tank script is experimental in the line of sight code. it doesn't always work but when it does it's nice. :)

The problem with Fallujah is that the buildings are mostly all ARMA1 buildings... meaning no dynamic destruction :( Which means having tanks will be less fun I'd say. Will experiment around with it and see.

Edited by Rejenorst

I would love to see some missions in Chernarus beacuse Hunted was so Great :D

Will try to get another Chernarus mission happening when I have time :)

Also on a sidenote: I finally encountered two suicide bombers in my mission. Fortunately for me and my squad mates I was to far away from the blast. Both blasts leveled two small huts, which I think absorbed most of the damage. (AI will place a detpack and detonate it if the AI has satchels.)

May have to finetune that script in terms of proximity but I thought it might be interesting for when friendly AI/player enter buildings with suicide bombers.