Sign in to follow this  
sbsmac

Squint - the sqf editor and error-checker

Yes, this is the UTF-8 'BOM'. (Byte order mark). Squint should preserve the BOM for files you create in another editor but I think the problem is that when you create a new file in squint itself, it does not automatically apply the BOM. I'll take a look at the best way to fix this.

---------- Post added at 08:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:20 AM ----------

I've just been reminded that ArmA shouldn't require a BOM in order to be able to recognise UTF-8 correctly. If possible could you send me a copy of the problem file that displays corrrectly in squint but not in Arma ? It would also be useful to have a copy of the same file that you have edited in notepad and which does display correctly in Arma so that I can look for differences.

Also, it would be useful to know what character-set/encoding you are using on your PC.

Hi sbsmac,

The file with the problem is : http://www.framebuffer.com.br/DOWNLOAD/MTipo0.sqf

To create to file in squint, I write the code with accentuation in scratch mode, after, I click Save Scratch.

My Windows 7 is a Brazilian Version, but, since that I use UTF-8 encoding, I think that no problems, or no? Working with Notepad++, no problem, but I need to convert to UTF-8 format in editor to correct accentuation .

Best Regards

Thanks D3lta, that was very useful. I have now updated squint to use UTF-8 encoding when reading and writing files. You should now find that squint correctly saves the accented characters you are using.

Generate call-tree graph throws exception with empty scratchfile:

See the end of this message for details on invoking 
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentNullException: Value cannot be null.
Parameter name: text
  at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(String text, TextDataFormat format)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Clipboard.SetText(String text)
  at squint.Form1.generateCalltreeGraphToolStripMenuItem_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.RaiseEvent(Object key, EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripMenuItem.OnClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleClick(EventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.HandleMouseUp(MouseEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEventInteractive(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripItem.FireEvent(EventArgs e, ToolStripItemEventType met)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mea)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStrip.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ToolStripDropDown.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
   Assembly Version: 4.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 (RTMRel.030319-0100)
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v4.0.30319/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
System
   Win32 Version: 4.0.30319.1 built by: RTMRel
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
squint
   Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Soren/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/RWZJDK3E.XAC/99T0LYPK.0ZE/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_08f68addc953d8fd/squint.exe
System.Windows.Forms
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Mac.Arma.FileFormats
   Assembly Version: 0.0.0.0
   Win32 Version: 0.0.0.0
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Soren/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/RWZJDK3E.XAC/99T0LYPK.0ZE/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_08f68addc953d8fd/Mac.Arma.FileFormats.DLL
System.Deployment
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
mac.XML
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Soren/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/RWZJDK3E.XAC/99T0LYPK.0ZE/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_08f68addc953d8fd/mac.XML.DLL
Mac.EditorComponents
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Soren/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/RWZJDK3E.XAC/99T0LYPK.0ZE/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_08f68addc953d8fd/Mac.EditorComponents.DLL
Mac.PerfTimer
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Soren/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/RWZJDK3E.XAC/99T0LYPK.0ZE/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_08f68addc953d8fd/Mac.PerfTimer.DLL
nsqntkum
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll

Thanks -fixed. Note this is an experimental command- it analyses the project for call-chains and copies the results to the clipboard in graphviz 'dot' file format.

Thanks D3lta, that was very useful. I have now updated squint to use UTF-8 encoding when reading and writing files. You should now find that squint correctly saves the accented characters you are using.

Thanks sbsmac!!! From now on I'll always using Squint!!! The diary of mission it's OK now!!! Nice Work!!

Best Regards!!!!!!

Thanks sbsmac for that create tool!

Just one proposal: If a file is saved, disable ('grey out') the save icon in the toolbar :).

Sbsmac,

When I Hit the CTRL-X (Cut text) on editing, the window box of source code shows a big Red X. To fix, I need close Squint and reopen. This is a random bug, I think...

Best Regards.

Edited by D3lta

Hey - just started squint and it crashed after updating... is there some sort of crashlog? :)

@hawke - thanks, good suggestion

@D3lta - thx - reproduced here and I will look at a fix.

@Trexian - the most likely thing I can think of is that I've introduced some incompatibility in the project file that squint is trying to load at start-up. The 'crashlog' should be available from the 'Details' button in the exception report. If you post it here, it will usually give me a good idea of what the problem is. Other ways to get around this are to search for a file called "user.config" deep in your documents folder and either delete this or edit it to point to a different project. (If you delete it though, you will lose your colour-scheme and other preferences.)

When I Hit the CTRL-X (Cut text) on editing, the window box of source code shows a big Red X.

Now fixed. Thanks again for the bug-report. :)

Just a reminder to others to _please_ report 'odd' behaviour - I can't fix what I don't know about !

Trexian - to expand a bit on my previous post. You should see an exception report when squint crashes ...

exception.PNG

Press the 'detail' button (circled) and you can copy and paste the resulting information from the dialog.

exceptiondetail.PNG

First: Great work sbsmac !

But I would like to see two more features:

1) Give me the option to define a "template file". I like a nice header in my scripts like:

// ***************************************************************************

// ***

// *** Scriptname:

// *** Scriptname.sqf

// ***

// *** Author:

// *** Authorname

// ***

// *** Description:

// *** A short description

// ***

// *** Parameters:

// *** 0: <object> = a vehcile to interact with

// *** 1: <integer> = some needed value

// ***

// *** Returns:

// *** Nothing

// ***

// *** Example:

// *** nul = [Truck,500] execVM "Scriptname.sqf";

// ***

// ***************************************************************************

So this template should be loaded if I create a new file.

And really nice would be if the scriptname and the authorname was inserted by squint.

2) Maybe I didn't read the manual in deep, but I can't find a shortcut for commenting lines out/in. Would be great to have such a shortcut.

And....

if I "save as" a file, it is renamed in the "File View", but the tab shows the old name after save. Would be nice if it change to the new name too.

Thanks... and again...

GOOD WORK!

Regards,

HeliJunkie

Glad you like it :) What you want to do is actually already possible with custom commands. Here's the recipe...

* Under the 'Custom' menu, select 'Edit'

* For shortcut CTRL-F2:-

* Change the name to 'insert template'

* In the batch-file commands enter

echo //**************** > $OUT

echo //*File $FILE >> $OUT

echo //More lines here as you wish

* Make sure that "copy $OUT back to code-window' is selected

* Click Ok

Now....

* Use CTRL-N to create a new file

* Use File/Save-as to give it a new name

* Use CTRL-F2 to insert the template

Note that using CTRL-F2 will replace the entire file with the template unless you select "Operates on selected region" in the custom command editor.

2) Maybe I didn't read the manual in deep, but I can't find a shortcut for commenting lines out/in. Would be great to have such a shortcut.

Again, custom commands can be used to give you a simple solution for this. Edit the custom command for CTRL-F3 and add these batch commands...

echo /* > $OUT

type $IN >>$OUT

echo */ >> $OUT

Make sure that 'operates on' is set to 'selected region' and 'copy $OUT back to code-window' is selected.

You can now enclose a block in comments by selecting it and hitting CTRL-F3. Obviously this isn't quite as sophisticated as a proper comment/uncomment feature but is better than nothing :)

There's a bit more information on custom commands at https://sites.google.com/site/macsarmatools/squint/custom-commands - hopefully that's enough to encourage you to play around !

f I "save as" a file, it is renamed in the "File View", but the tab shows the old name after save.

Noted - will fix this next time I'm playing around with the code.

V125 released - a couple of minor bug-fixes.

V126 released.

Thanks to Lethal for reporting a bug with 'bare' preprocessor symbol definitions. Ie the following definition would not be recognised if there were no spaces following the symbol name.

#define XX

This caused squint to produce many spurious errors and warnings on domination-type missions which use this construction widely.

That was quick!

on a related note i still haven't been able to get squint started again... it updated just fine but still doesn't start :confused: no crash report/message either. i can see the little update thingie and the exe pops up in the task manager for a few moments then disappears again. :(

Hmm - I suspect that either the last project file has got corrupted or else your user-config has got corrupted. There are a couple of workarounds of varying complexity....

Probably the easiest thing to try first is to download the squintlauncher app from https://sites.google.com/site/macsarmatools/squint/shell-integration. Then see if you can load a different project/sqf-file/pbo using it. (By default squint reloads the last project you were working on so this gives you a way to avoid that in case the problem is related to that project file). Squint saves its projects files in "My documents\squint" - anything with the .sqt suffix is a project file. If you find that only a particular project file is giving you problems, could you send me a copy?

If squint is refusing to start with any file or project, then I suspect the user-config is broken. This is a bit tricky to find since it will probably be in a directory with an odd name such as

C:\Documents and Settings\admin\Local Settings\Application Data\csr\squint.exe_Url_4dclkn5uuu4l4gxe3djwhyxpeji2eqhs\1.0.0.0\user.config

The easiest thing to do is use windows to search for "user.config" then look to see which one(s) are in 'squint' directories. Having identified the user.config try renaming it to something else and restart squint (this will lose all your preferences and restore squint to the default state). If squint now starts could you send me the old (broken) user.config and I'll try to see what the problem might be.

naw - i did what any good windoze user does on a regular basis - uninstall, reinstall...

problem solved :D

edit:

damn i must be a bug magnet:

System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
  at Mac.Arma.FileFormats.DefaultFileFetcher.Save(String path, String text)
  at squint.ProjectFile.Save(Boolean prompt)
  at squint.Project.SaveAs(String tabs, String path)
  at squint.Form1.SaveAll()
  at squint.Form1.Form1_FormClosing(Object sender, FormClosingEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.OnFormClosing(FormClosingEventArgs e)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WmClose(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Form.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

mscorlib
System
squint
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/squint.exe
System.Windows.Forms
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
Mac.Arma.FileFormats
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/Mac.Arma.FileFormats.DLL
System.Deployment
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Deployment/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Deployment.dll
System.Core
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Core/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Core.dll
System.Configuration
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Windows/Microsoft.Net/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/v4.0_4.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll
mac.XML
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/mac.XML.DLL
Mac.EditorComponents
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/Mac.EditorComponents.DLL
Mac.PerfTimer
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/Mac.PerfTimer.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
   <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

happened as i was closing the program because it seemed unresponsive.

i was trying to get it to reload all the files in the project and it asked me about a billion times if i was sure i was willing to loose the changes i made (to which i answered no for about 500m and yes after that XD). upon finally finishing i decided to restart the program and then this.

edit #2:

hehe and now instead of not starting the program doesn't close :D

Edited by lethal

another one - this time with related files:

"the given key was not found in the dictionary"

System.Collections.Generic.KeyNotFoundException: The given key was not present in the dictionary.
  at System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2.get_Item(TKey key)
  at Mac.EditorComponents.CodeBox.CharEndGlyphFromIndex(Graphics g, Dictionary`2 stringRegions, Int32 x)
  at Mac.EditorComponents.CodeBox.OnPaint(PaintEventArgs pe)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.PaintWithErrorHandling(PaintEventArgs e, Int16 layer)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmPaint(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.WndProc(Message& m)
  at System.Windows.Forms.UserControl.WndProc(Message& m)

mscorlib
System
squint
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/squint.exe
System.Windows.Forms
System.Drawing
Mac.Arma.FileFormats
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/Mac.Arma.FileFormats.DLL
System.Deployment
System.Core
System.Configuration
System.Xml
Accessibility
mac.XML
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/mac.XML.DLL
Mac.EditorComponents
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/Mac.EditorComponents.DLL
Mac.PerfTimer
   CodeBase: file:///C:/Users/Steffen/AppData/Local/Apps/2.0/BYB8CWMA.PXN/YRT7Z5A9.19Y/squi..tion_3d804d6cf9fd5b6a_0001.0000_cdd61974220471fd/Mac.PerfTimer.DLL
mbjaryyz

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
   <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

the file view doesn't render anymore and all i get is a red X.

project file, user.config and the exported dictionary can be found here:

http://depositfiles.com/files/3orydgt1u

happened before i shut down the program as i had to go to uni and when i started it back up. i have started a new project and loaded the old one again and all is well again. the files are from before i did that tho.

Edited by lethal

Basically this is due to a race-condition between the edit-box painting code and some other code that modifies the underlying contents. I'm already aware this can occur when doing a global search-and-replace operation but will take a look at tightening up access to the underlying data. Look for an update in the next few days :)

great news, keep up the good work.

some feature requests:

i am working with two displays - would it be possible to separate the different views in separate windows so i can properly position them on my displays?

also - one feature i'm really missing from np++: double clicking (and thus marking) a word highlights all the other instances of the word in the text. makes it easy to check if you've used smth already somewhere in the surrounding code. or when you want to replace smth without going through the dialog (i'm doing lots of stuff manually).

and regarding the bracket highlighting: it seems to only highlight them when i move the cursor with the keyboard over the opening/closing bracket and not when i click on it. is that by design?

sorry for bombarding you so much lately - i've just started using the tool a little more intensively so a lot of things come to mind right now and i wanna mention them before i forget what they were again ;)

Edited by lethal

Hello guys (and MEGA-mac 'course :D )

I have winXP32 SP3 and already installed Framework v4 pack.

While PVP mission wizard (under framework 3.5 req.) installed

like "hot knife through butter"...

it is IMPOSSIBLE for me to install/run Squint.

*After the installation all seems in position and i can see the "shortcut/reference"

under start menu\mac tools \Squint (along with PvPMissionWizard)

but..

1)I keep getting the casual windows "application failure" message

while i run it and i uninstalled and reinstalled Squint about 20 times already :(

2)I tried to "enhance" the 'compatibility' modes before/after install

(in setup.exe)..but i get same error again.

3) I already uninstalled and reinstalled Framework v4 about 2 times.

4) I can't find ANY file in my disk described as "user.config" or "CRS"

Especially THIS exact moment i write this post..there are 5 hours

"passed" trying to find a solution.

I m going nuts-HELP!

FPDR

*EDIT

I want to add that i DL'ed and tried to run the Squint Launcher application..but

i get the SAME error :(

Edited by GiorgyGR

Giorgy - from the exception details you sent me earlier I wonder if the problem is with the default font that squint is using.

Do you have the "Verdana" font at 9.75pt available on your system? This is a standard font so I really can't see why you wouldn't have it but it's worth a try. Failing that I may have to add some debug code to squint to track this one down.

Ok mac

I search about "font" issue-and pushed some random buttons :pet2:

and (magically) Squint works today :yay:

The Squint Launcher application still doesn't work btw.

Well..i will remain suspicious for 1-2 more days-and if still Squint works after

that period....

EDIT

:smileflower::smileflower::smileflower:

Tnx mac!!

Edited by GiorgyGR

Loading a large project multiple times seems to skyrocket memory usage. So I went ahead and loaded it 15 times in a row just to make sure, and Squint was reporting 1.1GB memory usage in task manager.

One other thing: when I start to type #include, it seems everything freezes up at the d.

Unrecognized pre-processor token '#includ'

After this happens, I get no syntax highlighting or error reporting in any file until I restart Squint.

add: The status bar freezes on - x files - parsing **scratch** (or whatever file it was I typed #include into)

Edited by bhaz