Sign in to follow this  
Draper

RUM Assets

Yes, supply by sling load and para drop from helicopters or fixed wing. (No sling loading a C130 though :) )

Raptor and I are making a concerted effort to stop breaking things and get everything stable enough to release. I've been working at switching to fixed wing to FSM to try to improve performance on "big" MP missions which might not be as noticeable otherwise. Raptor has been improving the attack helos which will have a cool new features. Supply is pretty much in the bank.

No Supply picks yet, but a friend put this video together so here is some proof we've been working hard and not hardly working...

Good video Draper! Going FSM is a superb way to go - glad to hear it.

Awesome, good to hear about Supply and ParaDrop, and FSM sounds like a great improvement as well.

Draper,

I know your working on an update but I am trying to use your FXD Spawn Strike and it will not delete aircraft when it returns to spawn point, this code is the same in all FXD Spawn but something doesn't get past the Waituntil line; Is there a quick fix?

_stg = "RUM_FXD_spwnend = """ + _planestg + """;";

[group _pilot,_spwn,_stg] call RUM_FXD_egress;

RUM_FXD_spwnend = "";

waitUntil {(!alive _plane) or (RUM_FXD_spwnend == _planestg)};

RUM_FXD_spwnend = "";

deleteVehicle _pilot;

deleteVehicle _plane;

_stg should be in a waypoint completion statement, so that when the waypoint completes it fires the waituntil. So you'd need to look a few lines above to fix it probably.

I'll PM you some info on how to get the latest source code so you can get the working FSM. For now you'll have to keep it hush-hush, in exchange you can report any other bugs you find.

Every time I see a post from you Draper I get excited! If you need another hushhush beta tester then look no further!

Ok Thanks, that was a experience downloading each file! :) Do you want me to PM what I find or post?

Thanks by the way I will take a look and test now.

Ok Thanks, that was a experience downloading each file! :) Do you want me to PM what I find or post?

Thanks by the way I will take a look and test now.

yes, that would be great to get some feed back on what you experiance and any bugs you may find.

---------- Post added at 11:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:06 PM ----------

My lips are sealed :)

:D ...

Post bugs on the website given rather then here. There is an issues tab where you can post. Both of you should PM me your emails and I can add you onto the site

Also get a subversion client (google TortiseSVN) and you can d/l the mission folder in two clicks, rather then file by file :)

Well, its time for an update... if you ask me, long overdue for one :).

New features going into RUM Assets, like smoother helo flights from take off to landing for Attack, Transport, and Supply Helo's. A custom init line option (user configurable init for spawned vehicles). Attack helo's now can fire both Air to Ground Missile "ATGM" on laser targeted items as well as fire its canon for Suppressive Fire Support "SFS" against troops and light armor at over a Km away from the target. There is a wholelist of changes and fixes as well as lots of new features being put in to RUM so stay tuned.

There will be more to follow later on with the some of the other new features, so with that being said... here is a little video showing some of the Attack Helo options and some of the early AI flight changes that have been implemented and are working both in MP and SP.

As always, questions... let us know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaaOMAq0h_w&feature=channel&list=UL

Enjoy

-VRCRaptor

Edited by VRCRaptor

RUM is still alive... new stuff coming soon, should be some new pics and video's next week as well. Anybody having issues or have any requests... let us know... :)

-Raptor

Cool. I wish you all the best of luck with that. Bug Squashing has never been my favorite process.

Thanks for the update, I can't wait for the next iteration of the RUM mod. :)

Hello there. First off: AWESOME script! I fount a great use for it in my little SOM mission.

However I found few bugs:

*When setting up transport helo fastrope target something wrong goes in scripts and I hear my PC crunch. The script stops being troublesome after setting egress point. This is what I found in RTP:

missions\RUM.Takistan\RUM\THel\callTrans_insert.sqf, line 255
Error in expression <egress2",_helo];
deletemarkerLocalLocal _mkrname4;
deletemarkerLocal _mkrname5;
>
 Error position: <_mkrname4;
deletemarkerLocal _mkrname5;

After looking at line 255 of that script I fount this:

deletemarkerLocalLocal _mkrname4;

I think that deleting the second "local" will solve the problem.

*Another thing: replace auto smoke shell with green smoke, and maybe leave it only for extraction.

*When fast roping my player character did not have animation. I was in third person and animation was simply standing holding gun up. AI teammates had proper animations.

*Maybe add possibility to fastrope using two ropes on both sides of chopper as in norrins addon.

* Add HALO jump from C-130, using this script: http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=15405 . Of course with taking off the airfield and landing, with ability to make another jump after returning to base.

*For some reason norrin's fastrope dosent work very well. Helo deploys rope (only one) but no units fastrope and rope is dropped. I think I will try my luck in fusing RUM with latest fastrope addon from norrin.

EDIT: About that halo drop: you can do something like this:

*order cargo plane to take off and give him one waypoint with flyinheight [halo jump attitude]

*leave it be and plane should circle the waypoint while building up attitude

*Have a script that every minute (to not clutter the game, it dosent need to be faster) checks if plane is at halo drop attitude, if so then give him waypoint to jump ingrees position.

*at ingrees position player's squad is moved to jumping position and ramp is lowered

*squad jumps out at jump point

*plane files a bit in stright line after jump (to avoid heavy banking at the moment of jump) then goes to egrees point and returns to base.

Edited by Taro8

Thanks Taro8 for the bug report... The next version is due out very soon and will have many bug fixes and improvements as well as a lot of enhancements too. We are currently in the the final testing stages and want to make sure that the next release is ready to go both in single player and in a dedicated multiplayer environment. As always, there will be room for improvement, so please keep the comments and suggestions coming.

Stay tuned... :)

-VRCRaptor

Support radio script has an interesting feature: extraction helo waits for player to actually throw smoke (or launch from GL) and then lands where player has thrown the smoke. It looks very authentic. You could add the possibility to throw red smoke and helo will leave ASAP. Also if player dosent have smoke helo will notify about this on radio ("Disco Walrus, this is Turbo Pancake. Negative on the smoke, over."). You can then tell helo to circle LZ for a moment to "find" it and then it will land. This way player still will be extracted, but it will take more time and will leave helo open to attacks. However if player throws a green smoke extraction is faster.

One thing Im missing are radio protocol sounds. Im working on improving Bon's arty script in with I added radio sounds to dialogues along with noise, it gives a lot more atmosphere. Basically it looks like this:

playSound format["bon_mic_v0%1",[1,2,3] select round random 2];
playSound "bon_radionoise";
_this sideChat format["%1, this is %2, Fire Mission, OVER.",HW_Arti_CallSign,group player];
sleep 5;
playSound "bon_mic_out_v1";
sleep (2 + random 2);

[playerSide,"HQ"] sideChat format["%1, this is %2, Fire Mission, Send.",group player,HW_Arti_CallSign];
sleep 5;
sleep (5 + random 2);

Anther odd thing: when you tell helo to go somewhere then if you get near it you will have 2 commands to give it a go, but if you enter it then it's just one.

BTW: "Roger" and "Wilco" mean, pretty much, the same thing. It's redundant to have both in same sentence.

Edited by Taro8

Support radio script has an interesting feature: extraction helo waits for player to actually throw smoke (or launch from GL) and then lands where player has thrown the smoke. It looks very authentic. You could add the possibility to throw red smoke and helo will leave ASAP. Also if player dosent have smoke helo will notify about this on radio ("Disco Walrus, this is Turbo Pancake. Negative on the smoke, over."). You can then tell helo to circle LZ for a moment to "find" it and then it will land. This way player still will be extracted, but it will take more time and will leave helo open to attacks. However if player throws a green smoke extraction is faster.

One thing Im missing are radio protocol sounds. Im working on improving Bon's arty script in with I added radio sounds to dialogues along with noise, it gives a lot more atmosphere. Basically it looks like this:

_this sideChat format["%1, this is %2, Fire Mission, OVER.",HW_Arti_CallSign,group player];
sleep 5;
sleep (2 + random 2);

[playerSide,"HQ"] sideChat format["%1, this is %2, Fire Mission, Send.",group player,HW_Arti_CallSign];
sleep 5;
sleep (5 + random 2);

Anther odd thing: when you tell helo to go somewhere then if you get near it you will have 2 commands to give it a go, but if you enter it then it's just one.

BTW: "Roger" and "Wilco" mean, pretty much, the same thing. It's redundant to have both in same sentence.

most of these issues have been fixed for the next release... having audio feedback is something that is being looked into for another release, and looking at the current dialogs to make some changes is also being delt with in the next release... main focus was to clean things up and start moving to a FSM model for all options, but this takes time as FSM and SQF are two different but similar languages and how they run can get tricky...

I hope this may clear some of the questions in recent and the suggestions being sent are AWESOME to see and will most definately be looked at for up coming releases in the near future. Keep them coming...

-VRCRaptor

some of the possible features that the new RUM will do... Take off and land (working from) a LHD carrier without the mando scripts... more on this later.

http://vrcombat.com/_site_pages/_images/RUM/RUM_Pre_LHD_1.png (1471 kB)

http://vrcombat.com/_site_pages/_images/RUM/RUM_Pre_LHD_2.png (1428 kB)

more of these soon... :)

To help you a bit I prepared radio protocol sounds I used in revision of bon's script. Sounds are from Lord Jarhead's mod, but I got permission and he already used new sounds in latest version of his mod, so these sounds are free to use.

http://www.mediafire.com/?ci185g30oso8r88

playSound format["mic_v0%1",[1,2,3] select round random 2];
   playSound "radionoise";
   _this sideChat format[ WORDS ];
   sleep 5;
   playSound "mic_out_v1";
   sleep (2 + random 2);

The "sleep 5" bit is pretty important. You cant stop sound in Arma 2, so you need to wait for radio noise to end (it's 5 seconds long). So in long messages you can use two, or more, radio noise sounds one after another, like this:

playSound "xmit";
	playSound "radionoise";
	_requestor sideChat format[ A LOT OF WORDS ];
	sleep 5;
	playSound "radionoise";
	sleep 5;
	playSound "mic_out_v1";
	sleep (10 + random 2);

The "sleep (2 + random 2);" stops messages overlapping each other.

Here is a WIP version of my revision, so you can see those sounds in work. The mission should work, but in case it dosent, then you can make a one yourself easily. This script only needs a game logic called server.

http://www.mediafire.com/?c2x0dlvg44pm9wf

EDIT: I know what new support you can add: Combat Air Patrol (CAP). A plane with Air-to-air loadout flies to indicated position and engages all enemy air forces. Also, would it be possible to add an option to set CAS loiter time? I dont want to win mission just by calling one CAS and Air support script have tendency for planes to loiter around target zone literally killing all the fun :p.

Edited by Taro8

Taro8,

Awesome information... this is something that will definately be looked at in a very near release... thanks for the information and examples... great job working it out.

Combat Air Patrol (CAP). A plane with Air-to-air loadout flies to indicated position and engages all enemy air forces. Also, would it be possible to add an option to set CAS loiter time?

At one point there were CAP and CAS options (now just CAS), will have to look into this further and possibly reimplement them.

Air support script have tendency for planes to loiter around target zone literally killing all the fun .

Yeah, to long on station can kinda kill the fun if it wipes everything out... definately would have to have a time on station option.

Great work and suggestions...

-VRCRaptor

Edited by VRCRaptor

I did some testing about plane engaging targets and I found something that will help you. The thing about CAP is that plane would still engage ground targets, with would turn CAP into CAS. However I might have found a way to prevent engaging ground units.

1st test: an APC and helicopter as targets, with F-35 simply spawned and told to the target area.

Result: F-35 iced the helo pretty much right away and then strafed the APC

2nd test: same targets, but I made F-35 spawn at 1500m above sea level and had flyinheight 1500 command

Result: F-35 fragged the helo, but DID NOT engage APC and then loitered around the waypoint.

Problem: F-35 used both AA missiles against the helo leaving it without ammo for further engagements

Possible Solution: a script resetting ammo to 1 few times in one CAP. This could be incorporated into script telling the plane to return to base after script resets it's ammo to 1 X times.

3rd test: same targets, A-10 at 1500m

Result: A-10 destroyed the helo and then went to about 100 meters to engage the APC. This means that A-10 isnt the best plane for air superiority mission.

4th test: this time its a tank and 2 helos, F-35 is an attacker, at 1500m.

Result: F-35 used both AA missiles against one helo and then tried to strife the other one, but it got shot by the tank MG, pilot died and plane crashed (yeah... thats Arma 2 alright ;)).

Problem: Not enough AA missiles for F-35 to properly carry out the CAS. F-35 uses up missiles to fast on single target (one missile causes helo to crashland, another makes it explode in the air), I think that 5 to 10 seconds delay in resetting the ammo will be enough for pilot to switch to other target.

I think that its safe to say that if plane is told to fly at high enough attitude (1500, but I think that 2000 or more would do as well) it wont be as willing to engage ground targets. However Arma 2 planes have very low amount of air-to-air missiles (2, seriously an F-22 in full AA load can carry something around 20) with prevents them from carrying out CAP successfully, with means that a script resetting their AA missiles would be needed.

BTW: According to wikipedia F-35 can carry 10 AA missiles in full Air-to-air configuration. This means that ammo reset script would need to run 5 times on this one.

Edited by Taro8

Love the script, however i'm having an issue with the Transport helos. After they RTB, 9times outta ten when i try to recall them i get "helo still in flight"

I noticed that the aircraft returning this message, the pilot has jumped out. How can I fix this?