Sign in to follow this  
Chromegus

Metal Gear Faces/Units

This is the second (and final) release of the sneak suit:

Here are the links for the two versions (you can use both if you like)

Without optical camo:

Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?kwxfauwavgnc03g

Sendspace

http://www.sendspace.com/file/afqguw

With optical camo:

Mediafire

http://www.mediafire.com/?novj3f38aw7m58v

Sendspace

http://www.sendspace.com/file/gmdwn1

And here are some new screenshots:

Infiltrating Shadow Moses (not really):

sn2.jpg

Optical Camo:

sn3.jpg

Escape:

sn1.jpg

The addons are in zipfiles named CHRO_MGS (for non-optical camo snake) and CHRO_MGSs (for the one with optical camo). Directions for installing it are in the included readme.

The optical camo comes with its own set of problems (which many who have been following this thread might already be aware of), so I recommend getting the sneaksuit without active camo first.

BronzeEagle also found another MGS addon (the Shagohod) a while back at the following link (the addon is at the bottom of the site's page):

http://babelfish.yahoo.com/translate_url?doit=done&tt=url&intl=1&fr=bf-home&trurl=http%3A%2F%2Fgachopin72.s296.xrea.com%2Fofp%2F~gachopin.files%2Faddon.htm&lp=ja_en&btnTrUrl=Translate

Once again, I want to thank the OFP community for showing its support!!!

Edited by Chromegus
Addon Release

Thanks for the advice. Well, here it is:

face.jpg

It's still a rough draft and I think it still needs a lot of improvement. If anyone wants to use it or change it, then be my guest. Making young solid snake's face is taking me longer than I expected, but I'll release it as soon as I can get a working draft done.

By the way, is ok that the image file is about 70KB in size? Should I make it smaller?

At least!! Now - to make only a great tactical espionage campaign with snake as main actor ;) I love MGS !!! :bounce3::bounce3:

Thanx

Yeah, I noticed that the face doesn't look too great on the head models that come with OFP. I'll try to fix it to work with the higher quality model suggested above and I'll do the same with young snake's face.

I modified Big Boss' face to be compatible with Llauma's head models:

Bbossllauma.jpg

The problem is that I haven't actually tested it, I only followed the templates that were on the pbo that Rellikki linked me to. I think that one way to have the texture displayed on the Llauma model is to use O2 light and Bulldozer, both of which I have. However, since I'm a noob I don't know how to use either very well. If you guys could point out a tutorial or something it would be appreciated.

Anyways, I can now concentrate on young snake's face.

Pretty good. Here's some instructions on setting Oxygen and Buldozer up:

http://ofp.gamepark.cz/_hosted/brsseb/tutorials/start/start.htm

Another way of testing the face texture is to download an addOn using the same head model, Faceplant civilians, for example, place one of them in editor, create a trigger with condition: true and on the activation field: unit_name setFace "custom" and preview. You'll need to have the face saved in JPG format named face in your user folder for that to work.

Chromegus - Little question what are You planing after finishing Young snake face? Maybe Meryl :D sorry I but I really like her since MGS 1. If You planing something bigger let me know via pm/icq. If I will help You I do it.

Regards

Bielow

Good dammit looks so great! Keep it up!

After some days of work, I present young solid snake:

Snakellauma.jpg

This image file is for the llauma head model.

Thanks to everyone who has posted advice and feedback on the images I've uploaded. My next objective is to make the sneaking suit from Metal Gear Solid. I think I might stop there...Although I would like to make models for the Ninja (Grey Fox) and Metal Gear Rex.

One of the posts above requested that I make a Meryl face. I can do it but the problem is that her hair (and maybe her facial features) would look weird in a regular head model. If someone knows of some head models that are more female-like then I would be glad to make a Meryl image file.

try the philcommando civil action pack. he's got a west bodyguard that looks like golgo 13.

@Chromegus

I send You a female head (something similiar to Llauma head model but for woman) when I back from work. Thanks :)

@Chromegus

Can your create those faces for ArmA2? I love to see Big Boss or Snake Face/head in arma 2 :)

I can't make faces for ArmA 1 or its sequel because my computer is old and underpowered so I can't run either game. Right now I'm broke and can't spend any money on new games, let alone a new computer. If anyone else wants to port these faces to ArmA then be my guest.

I'm currently working on Solid Snake's sneaking suit from the first MGS. I'm using the BAS Infantry Kit, so I'm not exactly working from scratch. I'm new at modelling with O2 Light and Buldozer, so this will probably take a while. My best advice is to be patient.

I'm almost done with the 3d model (around 70% completion). I just need to add some pouches and a gun holster. Despite all my progress, the texturing work is just killing me!!! :cry:

I just finished making a template for the front part of the kevlar, which took me a whole day to do:

screen1.jpg

This is another screenie, this time from O2:

screen2.jpg

I've been looking for texturing tutorials for a good while now and it seems like infantry modellers are mostly on their own. Oh well, I guess this is going to take much longer than I expected....

THANK YOU!!! That was really good tutorial! I also looked up the FAB mapping tool you mentioned at the end of the tutorial and I'm starting to work on UV mapping the kevlar. I will be using Gizmo mapping for the arms and legs.

Once again, thank you, I was really close to giving up.

I'm finishing up the texturing work on the arms, which will just leave me with making a few pouches and the gun holster (I'll be posting pics as soon as I'm done).

I want to get the unit in the game as soon as possible to detect any mess-ups of mine so that I can fix the model before releasing it. So, I have two questions:

1) Where can I find a tutorial on making a config file for the model? (I'll try to look for this on my own after I finish up all the artwork, but it would help if someone beat me to it)

2) How do I go about releasing the sneaksuit? I know it has to be in PBO format, but I would like to know which tool to use and how/where to upload the sneaksuit.

Thanks in advance.

ofpr.info is a really good site for tools they have a menu on the left that should say tools. a good place to upload your addon would be to get a free mediafire account. it holds huge files and free and its relatively easy to upload and download, i have one and its working for me really good. once you've uploaded it to mediafire, post the link in the addons complete thread, or even in this one and the rest we'll take care of. don't forget to present a readme describing the addon, permissions for it, and who made it, how to install it, disclaimer, etc.

Could you make the sneak suit work as a invisibility cloak sorta thing? like by using the same technique as the RZN active camo balck op? that could be awesome.

ps. any custom weapons for Snake?

I know I said I wouldn't post pics until I was done, but I just couldn't help it considering that you guys were very quick to respond to my inquiries.

So here is one pic:

WIP3.jpg

Another:

WIP2.jpg

And a third:

WIP1.jpg

I just need to make the gun holster and the headband. Editing the other LODs shouldn't take long now that I have the base model done.

@BronzeEagle: Thanks for the tips! I'll be making a new mediafire account shortly.

@swot: That's a very good idea! I have the unit you mentioned, so I could probably study its config file to see how he does it. However, wouldn't I need permission to use his active camo technique?

About custom weapons: well, I was thinking of releasing it without any weapons since Snake usually acquires weapons on site. People would just have to use the This AddMagazine and This AddWeapon commands on the editor to spawn him with custom weapons or they could use ammo/weapon boxes. Also, it would be user friendly since it wouldn't require other addons to work. If I were to include custom weapons, I would have him use the stuff he had in the first game (FAMAS rifle and a Socom Mk23).

leaving snake unarmed may be the best choice i agree. i downloaded some codec images for briefings and i should have a campaign for you in the future.

Edited by BronzeEagle