killswitch

CBA: Community Base Addons for A2, OA and CO

@ kylania

The splash screens from CBA are there not to mess up the game. When a splash screen is active the 'game' pauses and gives 100% of the game's resources to scripts that might need to be run. It is necessary for some CBA features like pre-init code (if I recall the correct name) to complete running before entering the briefing screen.

@ kylania

The splash screens from CBA are there not to mess up the game. When a splash screen is active the 'game' pauses and gives 100% of the game's resources to scripts that might need to be run. It is necessary for some CBA features like pre-init code (if I recall the correct name) to complete running before entering the briefing screen.

It has been enough of an issue to make me stop using it and the mods that require it. Shame because there are some mods I really love to use, but for me it's just not worth the aggravation.

I've already changed some mods that used it so that they no longer require it. So there is recourse, but I don't have the time or desire to remove CBA dependency from all of them.

---------- Post added at 02:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:17 PM ----------

Here's a
four interruptions in one minute... That's just excessive.

I agree with you, but your splash is so quick compared to mine, I wouldn't find yours so annoying at all. Those screens stay up for several seconds on my machine...very, very aggravating.

Ok, a different question. What mods are running super-laggy init scripts?

Maybe it's time to focus on the cause vs the messenger.

It has been enough of an issue to make me stop using it and the mods that require it. Shame because there are some mods I really love to use, but for me it's just not worth the aggravation.

I've already changed some mods that used it so that they no longer require it. So there is recourse, but I don't have the time or desire to remove CBA dependency from all of them.

Same. I did it with the BWMod.

I still cant see much sense behind the "Community Base Addons", whats the use of it? All the addons that DONT use it work much better then the ones utilizing it.

@ kylania

Ahh, so there's a reason for them. :( Still don't get why they'd be running when exiting the editor though, that's the main annoyance, in making a change to a mission, trying to test it on a server and having your game "lock up" multiple times each way. heh

Guess it is because the way in which the game loads the main menu, stepping through the exact same process as when loading a mission, making CBA trigger. If someone would want to make changes to the main menus of the game I guess it'd be appreciated that it does though, however :)

Hi

I can't run Bis halo script with newest CBA. Please somebody help. I have Arma 1.07 without OA

Hi

I can't run Bis halo script with newest CBA. Please somebody help. I have Arma 1.07 without OA

I posted about this same problem on the previous page. I just reverted to earlier version of CBA for now, until the team can address the bug.

I posted about this same problem on the previous page. I just reverted to earlier version of CBA for now, until the team can address the bug.
Thanks for the reports guys - follow the problem here and you can note your experiences/troubles with parachutes and CBA 0.6.0. It's possible that an old problem has resurfaced due to changes in CBA 0.6.0.

Same. I did it with the BWMod.

I still cant see much sense behind the "Community Base Addons", whats the use of it? All the addons that DONT use it work much better then the ones utilizing it.

I don't have issue with it and it can make life easier for mod makers, but it doesn't offer anything a mod maker couldn't do themselves. It just saves them the trouble and I can definitely appreciate that :)

I feel I should say that the entire mod community has my praise and appreciation including the makers of CBA. I hope my comments haven't been misconstrued as being overly critical of the addon as a whole. I just take issue with the splash. And since it seems unavoidable we can't exactly expect the makers to fix what they can't fix.

[playing CO]

...I hope to be in the right place to post ... :o :)

Hi, I've just finished stock campaigns and I'm totally new to using mods

I've just copied the @CBA folder in main CO folder, and enabled it via the CO expansions feature; on the restart of the game, I have this crash dialog message : "cba/main/script_macros_common-hpp not found"

now it looks like I'm stuck as I am not able to find that file, and no similar issue is described on CBA website support pages as well

thanks

Grizzle, Roger Johnson, etc:

You went through a bunch of mods/missions and ripped out CBA just because the splash screen bugs you? That is quite troubling on a number of facets.

Disagree with the bash of CBA as "useless". To throw away the entire package over a splash screen just goes too far.

I'd rather work with the CBA devs to find a solution than go around ripping out code and introduce God-knows-what bugs as a result. If the presentation of credits is what is annoying some, perhaps an alternate format ( blank/custom screen ) or another means to delay starting the mission ( waitUntil ?? ) would do.

Quick question:

If a dedicated server is running CBA (let´s say, for Zeus AI) the clients need it too?

No clients don't need it for Zeus AI, but they get warning message that CBA is not running (or outdated).

---------- Post added at 02:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Hmm actually I may be wrong about this....

If the presentation of credits is what is annoying some, perhaps an alternate format ( blank/custom screen ) or another means to delay starting the mission ( waitUntil ?? ) would do.

It's not the presentation of credits that annoys me, it's the fact that this happens when switching menu screens because the backgrounds are "missions". I'm perfectly happy with a second or two pause before a mission kicks off, but when I'm trying to switch from Editor to MP to test something and I'm getting 5-6 seconds of pause and having to reclick because my menu option didn't get selected because CBA is initializing things that will never be used that drives me to murder. :)

Remove CBA's routines while not actually in a mission and I'll be splendidly happy. Nothing should be running during menus.

:yeahthat: Yes! Just remove the post-init splash at the menus and I'd be happy. I understand it running for actual missions but the delay at the main menu is a pain.

Grizzle, Roger Johnson, etc:

You went through a bunch of mods/missions and ripped out CBA just because the splash screen bugs you? That is quite troubling on a number of facets.

Disagree with the bash of CBA as "useless". To throw away the entire package over a splash screen just goes too far.

I'd rather work with the CBA devs to find a solution than go around ripping out code and introduce God-knows-what bugs as a result. If the presentation of credits is what is annoying some, perhaps an alternate format ( blank/custom screen ) or another means to delay starting the mission ( waitUntil ?? ) would do.

On the contrary, there are mods out there that use CBA that really don't need to. It's easy to remove the dependency, make alternate adjustments and not lose any functionality.

Personally I believe CBA should have been released as a library of script files as opposed to a compiled mod. Then mod makers could pick and choose what they need and incorporate it into their own mod in a way that bypasses the issues with CBA splash.

Ultimately the problem arises due to the way CBA is deployed. Since the issue is with XEH, mods that use CBA but don't use XEH will still suffer from the splash screen when in fact it is totally unnecessary.

So no, my changing mods to remove CBA is not extreme, it's smart.

Lastly, spend any decent amount of time in the editor working on a mission or mod while testing it and you'll soon come to understand why it's such a pain in the ass. If you do and it doesn't bother you, well I guess that just makes you more tolerant of simple annoyances than me.

Edited by Grizzle

Ah - the "really don't need to use it" argument. Hard to argue with an opinion. So I won't bother.

If you knew what I wrote for the ACE team, directly and indirectly, you'd not bothered with the "any decent amount of time in the editor" quip. But in the spirit of educating the ignorant - yeah I have spent a great deal of time in the editor, testing and retesting. Seeing that list of credits in my face over and over again bugs the hell out me - but I've learned to tolerate it. For one thing, am too busy coding to be bothered with tearing up perfectly good code to get rid of such a minor issue.

If CBA offered it's routines on the side as scripts along with pbos, that'd be great - choice is good. I'd still stick with the pbo's so my code does not need a new release when bug fixes come out and to avoid bloat.

Instead of slamming the CBA authors, prefer to work with them in a coorperative vs confrontational manner. If that becomes impossible, then I'll just quietly stop using it and move on - I know them well enough to know bashing them in forums would accomplish nothing.

Is there a way to suppress the "cba_versioning - cba - Version Mismatch!" spam short of editing cba_versioning myself? We run @CBA on the server and permit it on the clients as a requirement of ACRE (only). I think it highly unlikely that two version numbers (last stable a.k.a. b116 and current development a.k.a. b118) will cause any issues and I'm more than happy with the version control available through signature keys.

Reading through the previous posts here, I see that the crediits thing on loading pages have been

mentioned already and on the menu, I was going to make a post here about it I thought it was some error

i was getting, as it has become rather annoying where i am waiing for a mission to load

nd all of a sudden the page goes to another loading page with credits on it.

Is there a way to remove this?

its hard to get anything done when your waiting for "other" stuff to load that really

dont need to be there, the faster I can get from the editor to ingame,

and back again is what is ideal, and I'm sure many can share my plight, as I do theirs.

just putting my 2 cents in.

Ah - the "really don't need to use it" argument. Hard to argue with an opinion. So I won't bother.

If you knew what I wrote for the ACE team, directly and indirectly, you'd not bothered with the "any decent amount of time in the editor" quip. But in the spirit of educating the ignorant - yeah I have spent a great deal of time in the editor, testing and retesting. Seeing that list of credits in my face over and over again bugs the hell out me - but I've learned to tolerate it. For one thing, am too busy coding to be bothered with tearing up perfectly good code to get rid of such a minor issue.

If CBA offered it's routines on the side as scripts along with pbos, that'd be great - choice is good. I'd still stick with the pbo's so my code does not need a new release when bug fixes come out and to avoid bloat.

Instead of slamming the CBA authors, prefer to work with them in a coorperative vs confrontational manner. If that becomes impossible, then I'll just quietly stop using it and move on - I know them well enough to know bashing them in forums would accomplish nothing.

My last comment on the subject. I have never bashed any community developers nor will I ever. I also don't consider my stance to be confrontational as I have never addressed the developers directly or asked them to change anything. I find the splash screen annoying and have taken steps to remove the annoyance. End of story.

I have the CBA credits load on me right when I get ingame, it loads like 3 times,

when a mission starts to load, while Im loading and then once i get ingame then it comes up again,

its getting rather tiring waiting for all this stuff, its becoming a waiting game and or

chore just to get something done in the editor, as before it was a quick switch.

I looked at the CBA files and there is a file that says UI,

but have no idea what to do there, is this being worked on?

[playing CO]

...I hope to be in the right place to post ... :o :)

Hi, I've just finished stock campaigns and I'm totally new to using mods

I've just copied the @CBA folder in main CO folder, and enabled it via the CO expansions feature; on the restart of the game, I have this crash dialog message : "cba/main/script_macros_common-hpp not found"

now it looks like I'm stuck as I am not able to find that file, and no similar issue is described on CBA website support pages as well

thanks

Tozzifan

Did you or does anyone have an answer to this? Up until 6 weeks ago or so, I had ACE 2 installed on my PC but my HD crashed, so when I got a new one, I also upgraded to Win7 so I had to reinstall the game and every mod from scratch. I am now trying to install ACE 2 again and it works if I start the game through the Six Updater, but if I use my CO shortcut, I get that very same message and I cannot find that file at all. Also, starting ACE through Six Updater doesn't bring up any other mods or addons I have, which I need.