Sign in to follow this  
Michael Withstand

I need help to learn how to snipe properly

tried reading outside sources but just gave me headache.

I'm more familiar with meters, centimeters, kilometers and miles instead of millirads and yards or inches.

Can somebody provide a link or a step by step guide on how to snipe properly using the reticle for the different sniping rifles available in ArmA 2 and if possible in ACE 2 Extras as well?

I just feel I'm more effective using the sniping rifle but poor skills with the reticle prevents me from taking out enemy soldiers from longer distance.

With ACE, it's quite easy.

height of object in millimeters

--------------------------------- = distance to target in meters.

number of dots in zoomed in scope

That gives this example:

1800mm standing man

-------------------------- = 900 meters

2 full dots, zoomed in M107

Open up the adjustment menu, lookup the distance, and dial in the MOA you see in the table.

Be sure to deploy bipod and hold breath for more accurate distance readings, and don't neglect the effect of wind (Shift K usually enough for a quick guesstimate, the winds in Arma are typically fairly gentle).

There is probably a lot more you can use the reticle for, but that's about as "deep" as I wanted to go. I'm not a sniper. So feel free to correct me if I'm way off here :D

Probably some tricks of the trade regarding vanilla as well, but I haven't really studied it.

the great thing about arma 2 is this is something you can test in editor. set up enemies at various distances from your player, make them immobile and use them for target practice.

Have fun!

Just did my first proper sniping kill last night at 600m :D with a Dragunov.

One question though. How do u deploy the bipod?

The dragunov doesn't have one, unfortunately.

Umm I'm having a dilemma that while I'm getting good in sniping with ACE2 I just realized that the ranging is all different for vanilla.

I'm becoming expert in sniping in 300-1000 meter ranges(my favorite ranges are 800-1000 meter with TAC-50 SD rifle) with ACE2 with windage compensation and all ;) well as long as the target is stationary but I'm hopeless in vanilla :(

Can anyone provide me a link to guide me with sniping (using the scope reticle) in vanilla?

Edited by Michael Withstand

Grats on the kill!

As others have said - no bipod on that one. :confused: However....

You can always use a sandbag and rest the weapon on that. Even a few ACE devs were not aware of that trick until I showed them, they loved it.

A lot of the info mentioned in my guide and especially the other guide on snipersparadise can be applied to vanilla. You can do range estimation using the mil-dots and a bit of math, then "hold-off" using the correct number of mils on your scope ( e.g. hold 2 dots high for a certain range ).

Likewise you can use horizontal hold-off to compensate for walking or running targets. Used to do that all the time in ArmA1+ACE using my beloved Sasha - HK417L with Leopold scope.

"Man left of the tower - moving right."

*crack*

"Man down..."

"Oh wow you hit him in the groin!"

*crack*

"2 down"

"Wait - are you aiming there on purpose?"

"Yep. I like a challenge." [1]

".... Oh that's just so wrong. You bastard."

"Thanks. Next target?"

1. Plus the soldier models seem to lack body armor there. :smiley-evil:

The most successful snipers in Arma are the ones that, well, don't snipe too much - let's see how many catches that one ;)

Grats on the kill!

As others have said - no bipod on that one. :confused: However....

You can always use a sandbag and rest the weapon on that. Even a few ACE devs were not aware of that trick until I showed them, they loved it.

A lot of the info mentioned in my guide and especially the other guide on snipersparadise can be applied to vanilla. You can do range estimation using the mil-dots and a bit of math, then "hold-off" using the correct number of mils on your scope ( e.g. hold 2 dots high for a certain range ).

One of all time favorite for us with disposable recoiless rifles was to use combatvest (or more like belt with straps) as a support. Very fast and always around. With little training guys quickly adapted to it. Ofcourse terrain is filled with weapon supports. Horizontal or vertical (like trees).

And good old strap support (which you would use with SVD) is always there, what ever the shooting position is. I don't handle it and my rifle's strap doesn't suit for it so i haven't been able to test it out properly. Stiff simple leather strap which can't be set to enough short lenght. Instead i've been focusing on using monopod (basically just long pole).

Grats on the kill!

As others have said - no bipod on that one. However....

Likewise you can use horizontal hold-off to compensate for walking or running targets. Used to do that all the time in ArmA1+ACE using my beloved Sasha - HK417L with Leopold scope.

"Man left of the tower - moving right."

*crack*

"Man down..."

"Oh wow you hit him in the groin!"

*crack*

"2 down"

"Wait - are you aiming there on purpose?"

"Yep. I like a challenge." [1]

".... Oh that's just so wrong. You bastard."

"Thanks. Next target?"

1. Plus the soldier models seem to lack body armor there. :smiley-evil:

Umm yes you're right the dot ranging is still the same however it seems that in vanilla one has to hold his scope much higher to hit the same distance. Or am I wrong. This information of how much pulling up or holding up(in terms of mils dot) that he is required to cover the ranged distance is nonexistent to the user in vanilla.

In the 800-1000m ranges I usually stop aiming for the head and usually aim for the center mass and get a hit on the chest or leg. They still die 95 percent of the time that way :rolleyes:.

--EDIT Removed--

The most successful snipers in Arma are the ones that, well, don't snipe too much - let's see how many catches that one ;)

Yes without silencer a sniper would not last long if he doesn't relocate fast.

And a sniper would have a hard time entering cities or towns in ArmA2 due to the small sizes of the towns and cities and the extended zooming of his scope which would make him more exposed and be a less effective combatants in closer ranges.

A sniper can't compete head to head with other riflemen who assault towns or cities. A sniper could however operate alone harassing towns and cities from the distance(600-1,000m) and if his sniping rifle came equipped with silencer the enemy troops would not even know where to return fire. A sniper is also effective at scouting enemy positions and dispositions and pass the information to friendlies which could prepare an effective forces to combat the enemy dispositions in the location or called in air support.:rolleyes:

I just like the idea of a lone wolf.

My biggest tally harassing a city from the distance is 17 dead without being killed. I know it's not that many for the expert but I'm happy staying at distance and creating havoc all over in the distance.:bounce3:

Edited by Michael Withstand

A good sniper for me is one that is on the scene early, gathering intel about the AO and marks it on the map. That way others know what to expect and for the commander (if anyone is in charge) to plan the attack. A good sniper then continues to take out prioritized targets, when needed, and leave the rest to the grunts while relocating. Prioritized targets would be CSW crew, leaders, and enemy snipers. Then break contact, relocate and observe and report enemy contacts to the grunts up close.

Unfortunately what I see most out there are "snipers" going the grunts work but with a sniper rifle. That's why I'm giving my only sniper an exceptionally low amount of ammo, to scare away these "sniping kids" and leave the role to someone who cares, in my mission. Like a real sniper, every shot has got to count.

yea sniping is about an art of knowing when to engage and when not to and when engaging knowing what to engage.

But in online games people just compare the number of kills. They hardly play tactical. Most just playing with gun blazing . . .:( that leaves the sniper no choice but to rake in kills too.

I've found out to my dismay that even the formula

height of target=distance to target

mils

can only be applied to ACE2.

In vanilla they are not accurate :(

Am I mistaken here.

I tried calculating distance with the dot ranging in vanilla then confirming with Shift-K but Shift K would give me a longer distance by about 200 m :butbut:

Guess that explains why I'm so helpless in vanilla when sniping. In short distances which requires no pulling up it may be fine but that's not markmanship at all.

Can somebody confirm my observation or debunk it?:confused:

Man now I find the reason to always play with ACE2 all the time.

The formula is absolutely correct. Something else is wrong.

It could be one of the following.

1. The reticle in vanilla is not calibrated and therefore size measurements are off.

2. Your alternate distance measurement is incorrect or broken.

3. Different location with different slope effecting bullet drop ( doubtful ).

4. You are measuring correctly, but ACE's ballistic tables are not the same as vanilla.

Best way to isolate this is to set up target and shooting box on a runway using just vanilla items. Then run mission with vanilla and then ACE to check the numbers.

Man now I find the reason to always play with ACE2 all the time.

Ehm, there is more to this game than sniping. I setup small missions for myself in the editor all the time, and sniping has not yet been part of the ordeal. And for that, I rarely use ACE. Vanilla + soundmod is enough.

The formula is absolutely correct. Something else is wrong.

It could be one of the following.

1. The reticle in vanilla is not calibrated and therefore size measurements are off.

2. Your alternate distance measurement is incorrect or broken.

3. Different location with different slope effecting bullet drop ( doubtful ).

4. You are measuring correctly, but ACE's ballistic tables are not the same as vanilla.

Best way to isolate this is to set up target and shooting box on a runway using just vanilla items. Then run mission with vanilla and then ACE to check the numbers.

Umm it was more or less a level sniping.

My guess is the reticle is different in vanilla.

My second guess would be that the ballistic tables are different

Or both.

Ehm, there is more to this game than sniping. I setup small missions for myself in the editor all the time, and sniping has not yet been part of the ordeal. And for that, I rarely use ACE. Vanilla + soundmod is enough.

Yes I'm aware of that but right now I'm just exploring the sniping portion of the game and this is kind of a let down. If they made it like in ACE I would be very very happy :)

The ballistics and MIL-dots (mostly ballistics though) in vanilla ArmA2 are off. There are however mods for that though like FNC Ballistics, FNC Scopes, GMJ Sight Adjustment, and some more.

Something to look at if you don't want to use full ACE2 when playing, but want proper sniping to work.

The ballistics and MIL-dots (mostly ballistics though) in vanilla ArmA2 are off. There are however mods for that though like FNC Ballistics, FNC Scopes, GMJ Sight Adjustment, and some more.

Something to look at if you don't want to use full ACE2 when playing, but want proper sniping to work.

thanks for the information, is there any chance the reticle and ballistic gets a proper simulation through official patch. :rolleyes:

Though the game has been out for quite a while and no patch ever touched them.

...and no patch will ever touch this feature for A2 but you're free to buy OA! ;)

Shooting on static targets isnt that great - try your marksmanship on moving targets from different places and positions.

I don't know about the "never" part. If a reticle just needs some touch-up that is not hard work once you know about it. Always worth asking BI about it since they are right in the middle of beta releases right now.

CarlGustaffa and I differ on sniping, but that is ok. He plays the game different than my little team does, no crime in that. We see sharpshooting and scouting as merely part of the package of skills. Good marksmanship carries over to many aspects of the game. We've "sniped" with weapons ranging from M4 carbine to a T-90's main gun - really handy when you are out of AA missiles and I needed a patrolling Ka-52 out of my sky before attacking a primary target.