Sign in to follow this  
LukeFF

Grenade Throwing Animation

The current animation when throwing a grenade is IMO way too abbreviated and doesn't accurately reflect the way a soldier is taught to throw a grenade. In reality, a soldier "points" with his non-throwing hand, as if he is throwing a football (Red Orchestra simulates this well). The added benefit to this is that the player will be better able to aim his throws, which is a bit difficult right now without the little aiming circle.

The correct posture when throwing a grenade:

http://www.militaryfactory.com/smallarms/imgs/m67-grenade_4.jpg

http://www.eagerarms.com/pictures/photo9_throwing_hand_grenades.jpg

little offtopic, but first pic looks.. silly :D

his face is like he had just pissed his panties. Thank god he has pin 'n' spoon still in place.

Back to topic: I dont mind the current animation, if you want overly-realistic animations AA3 would do the job: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPAXNEcrj8I < that would be sweet in ArmA2, but pretty useles I'd say :p

I would like to be albe to just roll grenade behind corner or wall instead of super precise throwing animation.

I would like to be albe to just roll grenade behind corner or wall instead of super precise throwing animation.

*cough*ACE*cough*

Lol, I knew it. That is no solution. Dont want to use ACE just to get this. Thanks for you effort to write your post though:).

the problem as i see it has more to do with the way grenades a selected as a weapon. they should be selectable from action menu (like launchers or pistols), and not via the cycle firemode key.

once you select the grenade then you put your weapon on your back and draw a grenade (like in real life :p). from there you can use the usual cycle fire mode key to change from roll to hard arc throw, to precise etc. once you do that you can have better throwing animations.

after you have thrown the grenade you bring up your main weapon again

the problem as i see it has more to do with the way grenades a selected as a weapon. they should be selectable from action menu (like launchers or pistols), and not via the cycle firemode key.

True. The current mode of having to cycle through the fire modes to get to one's grenades is a bit clunky.

once you select the grenade then you put your weapon on your back and draw a grenade (like in real life :p). from there you can use the usual cycle fire mode key to change from roll to hard arc throw, to precise etc. once you do that you can have better throwing animations.

after you have thrown the grenade you bring up your main weapon again

Yep, that's how it should be. I was going to suggest that the player could also hold his primary weapon in his left hand (as can be done in reality, especially when standing) but then that would look weird if the player is lugging around a big weapon like the M240. Best to just have the player sling his weapon when throwing a grenade.

to properly arm a grenade (american grenades at least) you need both hands.

hold it in your right hand, pop off the safty clip, pull the pin, then do the proper throw

and i was reminded that there actually is a "proper throw" in arma. to see it you need to drop your main weapon then throw a grenade. i think it also plays if you have a pistol out