Sign in to follow this  
Tankbuster

Play ArmA 2. Win Prizes

arma_masthead_2.jpg

In the coming weeks, on behalf of PC Format magazine, my team and I be running a series of large ArmA2 games with prizes on offer. We'll be having up to 35 players in 5 squads playing this mission one night a week over six weeks. Thursday evenings, 2000 UK time (we're an hour ahead of GMT). First game is May20th, last is June 24th. Server provided by Lazery Attack

All are welcome, with a preference for new but keen players. Signups will start soon and you'll be able to tell us your preferred role within a squad. If you want to play together with a mate in a squad, you'll be able to tell us too.

Prizes available include Operation Arrowhead games, Track IR systems, MERC boards, CM Storm mouse mats, magazine subscriptions, kudos and other fun stuff.

It's not a MILSIM event, players will be assigned a squad position and a speciality, and players will be expected to stick to that and play properly within their assigned role. It's not so hardcore that you'll be required to follow intimate details of rank and radio comms protocols, but you will be expected to do as your squad leader tells you. Rambo need not apply.

Requirements are a good knowledge of spoken English, mumble installed, headphones/microphone set and a patched game. The list of addons will be published soon. It's not huge and we'll be offering a custom installer for players not familiar with fiddling with addons. We are not using ACE2 and we ask that players don't join with this addon active.

The core of this mission is Xeno's excellent Domination West, on Chernarus but it's been modified to make it a little less arcadey. Teleport is turned off. There's more main missions and more side missions too. The new side missions have been crafted so that they are less about an all out battle, but stretch the ingenuity and resourcefulness of the player group. We've managed to squish a couple of the bugs in the original mission too.

Further discussion and details here.

This mission is the one I've been testing here so if you want a headstart, why don't you read through that thread and volunteer to help with the last testing.

Edited by Tankbuster

Yes people, the first beta was the most fun I've ever had at Arma, some absolutely epic stuff. We need a bigger crew for the next one on Monday 3rd.

Which day of the week are the games played on?

Thursday evenings, 2000 UK time (we're an hour ahead on GMT). First game is May20th, last is June 24th.

Awesome news, glad to see this making progress, now everyone please get signed up I think you'll have a blast (no pun intended) ;)

Damnit, you just had to start this in my exam period...

I would have signed up in an instant if it wasn't for that. :(

Damnit, you just had to start this in my exam period...

I would have signed up in an instant if it wasn't for that. :(

Worst excuse evar! :)

Seriously though... If this goes well, I'd hope to be doing it again in the future and we'll try to make it away from exam time. Originally, this was supposed to be run in January, but my team and I are all working chaps and parents so we really struggled to find the time to make it happen, but we are nearly ready to go.

Study hard and good luck with your exams.

Great stuff! I'll certainly be participating. :)

Are the prizes for UK residents only?

Signed up - my battle cardigan is washed and ready.

Good question. I'll find out.

Good question. I'll find out.

We are a UK magazine, but if ARMA 2 players from other countries (and timezones) are prepared to sign-up and turn out for the event, then I think we can manage to post out any of the goodies you win. :)

We are a UK magazine, but if ARMA 2 players from other countries (and timezones) are prepared to sign-up and turn out for the event, then I think we can manage to post out any of the goodies you win. :)

MadDogX and everyone. I should introduce Ari... he's one of the editors at PC Format magazine, who first came to me with the idea for this event, so you can think of him as being my boss on this project. That said, I'll be handling the event and the mission itself.

Well done Tanky!

The last big run-thru of the mission was the best fun I'd had in ages!

I can heartily recommend this event to everyone... there's been a LOT of time and effort put in to tailoring and balancing the mission to achieve a great compromise between semi-structured role/team play and pure fun...

Quite possibly the best large-scale multiplayer experience - ever!

B

Hmmm def fancy a bit of this... will have a word with the rest of the guys in SBS

Yep, just to clarify: PC Format is 'presenting' the campaign, and the guys have done a great job of putting a series of six mission nights together.

We hope you enjoy taking part, as it should be a blinder, and it's going to be a great way to celebrate ARMA 2, before the new standalone turns up on 29th June!

I'll be signing up ASAP. I registered on your forums but haven't had time to log in or post. Also curious if the prizes are UK Only.

fivec

I've just purchased the game and it sounds very good! Going to sign up.

When can i register to this competition to play and win arma2: oa? and what addons i need to play this competition?

Edited by Cobra5000

Click the link in my sig. We'll be making a proper signup page soon.

I've just purchased the game and it sounds very good! Going to sign up.

That's great. We're particularly keen to see new players joining in, learning from the veterans and enjoying the game.

Thanks Ari, I've signed up to your forums now so just waiting approval and then I will goto the Sign Up thread.

In the meantime I'm going to get my practice boots on ;)