Sign in to follow this  
Tom_Anger

Attack & Defend ("SIEGE") MISSION PACK

siege_small.jpg

UPDATED TO VERSION 1.03 (AS OF 01/22/2010)

NOTE:

You will get the best success at hosting these missions with some formal Event so that gamers know when these are setup. They are meant for at minimal, 8 players to enjoy a good session.

DOWNLOADS

Armaholic mirror:

- ArmA 2: A&D Mission Pack

URC Site mirror

- ArmA 2: A&D Mission Pack

Will add other mirrors as they come up.

Siege is a concept established in the late 1990's from the game "Ghost Recon". In Ghost Recon, the "Ghosts" would be attacking a recon point trying to siege the area as another team worked at defending it. There were no respawns giving the game a slow paced competitive game using all forms of team awareness and communication. Fun was a huge pay off, win or lose. Also, the missions were extremly popular in league sites and still are to date.

In Armed Assault we have written this game-mode in what we know as Attack & Defend (Siege). Each mission starts off with OPFOR at the SIEGE AREA and BLUFOR anywhere from 200-450 meters away (depending on the mission design). Some missions give BLUFOR transportation vehicles like Humvees, Transport Truck, and a Blackhawk. The SIEGE AREA is surrounded by lighted street cones giving players an in-game visual while they play.

Attacking is very difficult and for the league we will continue to try and balance the games out over the course of each season. The idea behind this is that teams will practice at becoming experts in Siege Tactics which means plotting out ahead of time in preparations before a match is played.

Defending is also difficult, but not as much as attacking. As defenders you must find good holding locations where your back isn't exposed and you have a visual of the Siege Area. Sometimes it is good to send out scouts to look for the attackers or have a sniper doing that from a distance.

These missions are designed for competitive gameplay for leagues and groups who enjoy fun A&D sessions with little to no confusion on what you have to do. Customize your session using the server sided parameters, choose your weapon, spread out and cover your points to see if you can be the victor over your opponent. As I update these A&D missions or add to the mission pack I will update this post. It will mainly depend on player feedback.

Here is an example of what some map layouts look like - CLICK TO ENLARGE

siege_combo_small.jpg

Each mission consists of the following:

• Player slots were increased to 32 (16 vs 16). I can add more slots if server hosts want me to. Just ask...
  • Each mission has a detailed NOTES section. Click M, then NOTES and read about the gamemode details, objectives, Hints, Designer contact info, and more.
  • On Round Timer with a HINT BOX indicator that pops up at 15 minutes left, 10 minutes left, 5 minutes left, and 1 minute left. No need to have to hit I or guess how much time is left to play.
  • Enhanced the Spectator Mode - 3 non-player slots exist for server admins to watch as a round plays out. Great tool to locate glitchers, cheaters, etc.
  • Quick Grenade Binding Key - the Salute key, when used, quickly switches to grenades to use when you quickly need to throw a nade. It automatically switched back to your normal weapon in a second if not used.
  • Player tags show up on friendly gamers when you place your crosshairs over them.
    Customize your gameplay using the great server controls
    • Server sided Friendly Fire On/Off option (nice for groups that have new players who can't identify teammates well)
    • Time Limit options
    • Terrain Detail Options
    • View Distance options, and more...

MISSION TITLES INCLUDED IN THIS PACK ARE

• BLACK ROCK BEACH (utes)
  • GHOST TOWN (utes)
  • TOWN BEACH (utes)
  • P.O.W. Camp (chernarus)
  • DEPOT STATION (chernarus)
  • EMBASSY (chernarus)
  • THE MOG (chernarus)

Author: Tom Anger [uRC]FATMAN

Installation:

Extract the pbo files to your ArmA2\MPMissions folder.

Required Addons:

none

Change log:

v1.03

• Uses PVP Script Pack v3.02 by [sBS]mac
  • Added Time Indicator box to come up when there is 15 minutes left, 10 minutes left, 5 minutes left, then 1 minute left
  • Added Server parameter to modify Friendly Fire option to turn on or off
  • Added Server parameter to modify Round time limit setting
  • Added Server parameter to modify View distance and more
  • Added Team Tags feature to see each other's Gametags when placing crosshairs over teammate
  • Added Persistent Scoring so when a player leaves, the on screen display remains unchanged
  • Added Quick Grenade Bind Key - the Salute key switches quick for grenades then auto switches back to your weapon after approx 1 second
  • Added Spectator Mode - 3 slots for admins to spectate. Great for seeing if anyone is glitching, cheating, etc. Also a good tool for Leagues to use.

v1.02

• Fixed the Time Of Day Bug
  • Added Space Bar capability to quickly switch to Grenades
  • Modified loading verbage to be more player friendly

v1.01

• Uses PVP Script Pack v2.08 by [sBS]mac
  • 8 vs 8 player slots with 3 spectator slots to be used for admins or referees in scrimmages/matches.
  • Minefields (indicated by signs) border the fight area to focus the battle in a zone fit for 8 vs 8 gameplay
  • Round timer will not start until at least 2 players are in the session. So if 1 player is in the game this gives them time to roam around and review the map until others join in.
  • Player spawns are protected by a sign barrier, so if your opponent crosses the line they will perish. All player slots spawn in the same location each time they die to allow them to get back on track quickly.
  • Character Classes and Weapon Loadouts are the same for both teams with weapon crates available to customize your kit. If you die, you keep your customized weapon loadout when you respawn.
  • On-screen scoring hud and timer so that you can see the status of the game as it plays out.

Credits & Thanks:

Gameplay scripts by [sBS]mac Script tracking Forum

Edited by Tom_Anger

Here's my modification of this using ACE and turning this into something more "America's Army-ish":

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=94245

Those are version 1.02 modifications. If you decide to modify my version 1.03 feel free, but make a separate post about it and enjoy. I personally will be putting out my own ACE versions at some point and even on custom islands. Just getting these ready for a gaming league at the moment :yay:

How much did 1.03 change in the mission.sqm? After all the only thing I really used here was all the extra objects you placed on the map. Units, objectives and all files other than mission.sqm were completely re-made in my version.

In any case, I did also use the new missions included in 1.03.

Well, I added nice startup sounds and ending sounds, added more detail like coverage areas, made the Siege Area default with lighted cones, made the BLUFOR team start further away giving them optional transport vehicles to use. I even added markers for areas of interest, like boathouses, cottages, etc. Nice for gamers to be able to tell each other that they are just south of the cottages, or heading to the boathouse and will take a boat up the coast to the Northern Outpost, etc.

I also have coop attack training missions that I may offer up to the community, but at the moment it is a work in progress.

Check out the Black Rock Beach map - you might like that.

The problem I found with the black rock beach map is that just about any spot in the area is observed by the hills around it which means the game will turn into a 300m firefight with no cover which isn't a lot of fun. There was no place I could put the objective where it wouldn't be coverable by snipers from a large variety of directions which would mean attackers get very little chance to win this as they need to clear up a very large area before they can hit the target objective.

I didn't really use the starting positions anyway, as with no respawns you need to have the defenders start out much closer to the objective than the defenders, plus I wanted to place the objective in a place that isn't very easy to defend as it is already hard enough on attackers as it is. Where clutter objects were missing I did add them myself as well, again to make sure there is plenty of cover in the combat area (though I did clear the roads a bit so the humvee can drive around). I started the attackers close enough to not actually need a ride to the objective as that usually slows the round down without much tactical benefit and in addition reduces the chance for attackers to win even further.

Basically the main reason I used your maps is that you placed objects in interesting places which would've taken me a long time to re-create, and those objects make it so that I can place an objective that will not be extremely easy to defend as it would've been if placed in a the default map with no extra objects. Everything else was re-created (I actually deleted all the scripts and used my own).

Welllllllllll personally Galzohar I think you have taken a very good concept and ruined the whole idea behind it,,,,,,,,,,, We played an 8 v 8 vs Toms [uRC] Last night, and felt that some of the best parts of it was the fact you Valued your life and it was NOT a run in fast shoot em up mission,,, I dont speak for tom btw but I dont think you can compare a mission that has a 7.5 min limit to these maps........ We came away from this friendly and were definately converted, These are Tactical missions and coming from a Team (SBS) that have been Die hard CQB CTF guys thats one heck of a reccomendation, we enjoyed the maps from beginning to end,, YES of course if you die early its a long wait but this just makes you try harder the next time NO running about headless chicken from that point on, this mode probably doesnt lend itself well to unorganised Public games but more towards League matches and Organised friendlies between teams.... Anyway, I just felt that these maps are one of the best PvP modes Ive played,

You mentioned Black Rock,,,, about it being No cover,, we played from both sides,,,, Team A attacked and lost ..... Team B then attacked and won..... it is your tactics that win the game,.. ... If you ever want some practice on it, give us a shout buddy, either SBS or URC would gladly help you out.

(BTW not good form Hijacking his thread and posting a link to yours buddy but thats just my opinion)

Well I did send him a message first and he seemed to like the idea of me modifying them, or else I never would've posted them anywhere.

Just because a mission is 7.5 minute doesn't mean it doesn't need any tactics and you can run around like headless chickens, and just because it's a longer one doesn't mean the opposite.

What does me thinking a certain mission area has absolutely no cover have anything to do with my tactics?

Did you even try playing my version in an organized group before you decided to flame it?

Buddy im not flaming it,,, And no I havent tried them and TBH dont fancy it, if I want a Close action CQB I would prefer a DM or CTF but each to their own,, this mode appears to have been designed to be played Tactically and in no way can you achieve the goal in such a short time, (we felt rushed and it was set for 20 min lol),, Do you really think a map can be won in 7.5 mins without running headless chicken ? then thats fine, I dont.

Regards to the cover, it was you that said that a game would turn into a 300 metre firefight,, you are wrong buddy,, as we proved last night... it all depends on your tactics.. .. eg. the attacking team was keeping the majority of defenders busy from all directions while a small squad came in close and took the objective right under our noses.... ...

Regards to your message not sure what that was about or why you just posted about it,,, ? if its regarding putting a link to your own mission post on someone esle's mission post then fair enough.. ... if its regarding you editing his missions, then thats between you and him,,,, although I dont think you have actually edited them from what you said,, you have just taken his idea and made it into a CQB (oh and his actual map) but all this is between you and him,, I just pointed out that it wasnt good form putting a link on here pointing peeps to your own post..

I have no intention of changing the subject on this post.. if you have any more comments directed at me, please feel free to Pm. me buddy.. we can carry on a conversation there...

But for now back on topic please..

I for one. wish to see this mode played more and will def be putting it up on the SBS server.

If any teams wish to have a try of it, drop us a line at on our site or the apl site. www.armaleague.com

Again just because the mission is shorter does not mean it forces you to run like a headless chicken, at least if the distance you have to cover during that time is appropriate. At least when I played it with 20 other players, there seemed to have been plenty of time for people to do whatever tactics they wanted to. The real question is if you want to use tactics.

Seriously, if you play and then say you are short of time then that's a different issue (but again that means that making the map bigger will just prolong things even more). In fact the actual area is quite the same, it's just the starting difference that is changed.

In any case, I'm glad to hear people are actually trying new PvP modes, as until now it seems like PvP mission development other than AAS/CTF/DM is totally dead.

It is hugely stressed that these AAD missions be hosted on an event/invitation style setting. Taxman -The map we played was not called Black Rock Beach. I made the mistake of saying Black Rock Beach on coms, lol. My bad. It was called Town Beach which is actually on the same island and in similar locations. Not too much difference though.

In Black Rock, the Siege area is down by the shore with tons of cover. I think what Galz was stating is that it becomes more of a long range shootout, but honestly it really depends on how well you cover the ground. Each AAD mission is designed so that you plan different tactics. In Black Rock Beach you may want to setup a large perimiterspreading your team 80 meters apart looking for snipers and take them out 1st, then take the blackhawk and suppress fire as the others on the ground move in to win. Very hard to attack and SBS did a very good job on Sunday. Kudos

What we got out of it was that we need to make changes to the specator scripts so that when you die you don't cycle through the dead people since you want to watch the alive people as they continue on. That and a couple other changes will be coming, but this is truly a great setting for fun league competition. Look for the SIEGE-APL versions by registering and looking to game at the ArmA League site

http://www.armaleague.com/apl_ladder

Hey Tom - Just uploded the missionpack to the Tv2 server 1 :) Looking forward to trying them out !

You stated its only ment for invitation and leauge gaming, but hope this allso can bring fun to a public server

Yeah - not meant for invitation per say. More like stressed that it be held on invitation or if you have around 10 players on you can throw it up if folks are willing to give it a shot. There is a difference. All players really have to be on board with the game type.

I won't be able to game until the weekend so I am out of hopping on and going through it until then. When the 16 of us had a go with an arma league scrim we planned it and were on TS to talk about it. After 4 rounds of great games we discussed some items to change to make it better so count on a new release at some point. Let me know if you are running this on the weekend (PM me, or IM me or something). TTYL...

Sorry Gal, my mistake regarding map, Give that Town beach a shot.. loved it, Ill take a look at Black rock this sunday hopefully... and if anyone is up for a little loving on the A&D im sure we (SBS) could field a team on thurs.

As tom said, I didnt mean invitation only, just that if Joe public came in and didnt understand the concept eg. defending, they would be off and out of it, and if killed early on in the map they might get a little bored waiting for the turnaround, whereas if you r on comms having a chat watching your mates running around getting shot at you tend to find it a little easier.

Also locking the server is kind of recommeneded as well. Tax I will throw up the Match Light if we are on so look for it at the league and maybe we get it on again, lol. This time you will be on my receiving end.

AFAIK if you disable the AI slots then nobody can JIP in anyway if you're using seagull/group/side respawn in description.ext.

Good games again Tom.. Does anyone out there who can field a minimum of 6, prefer more fancy a few games of this ?