Sign in to follow this  
dr_eyeball

AircraftHUD - AH-64D: MFD/IHADSS HMD/TADS

With the inclusion of the AH-64D in the v1.05 patch, it seemed an appropriate time to port over and release this AH-64D systems addon, which includes: IHADSS, MFD & TADS system. It's aimed at the avid chopper pilot, who likes to play with gadgets and doesn't mind a more complicated system, but it's not for serious use due to it's limitations with targeting, etc.

Required addons: CBA (for XEH)

Download:

Signed: yes

Compatibility: Untested with other addons. It's a client-side addon. Not fully tested for MP yet. The visual and sound effects for the flares is only activated on other clients if they use it too.

Background: It was originally designed for the AH-64A by the Hellenic Warfare Mod (HWM) team which was part of HWM Release 4 for Arma 1.

Screenshots:

th_IHADSS1.jpg th_IHADSS_monocle_FwdRadar.jpg th_FLIR.jpg th_Flares.jpg th_PNVS_tracking_cursors.jpg

Manual:

See the HWM Manual 4.0.pdf file, pages 32-43 for details, including images. The functionality is 90% the same as it was in Arma 1. I might create a WIKI page for it later. Note: The contents of the file HWM Manual 4.0.pdf will not change between versions (so no need to re-download).

The manual includes these topics:

• MFD (Multi-function Display)
  • MFD Help menus
  • TADS (Target Acquisition and Designation System)
  • DTV (Daytime TV)
  • PNVS (Pilot Night Vision System)
  • FLIR
  • IHADSS (Integrated Helmet And Display Sight System)
  • IHADSS Monocle with HMD
  • IHADSS Configuration menus
  • IHADSS HUD/TADS Symbology and Indicators (pilot and/or CPG)
  • IHADSS Warnings System - missiles and collision detection
  • Pilot PNVS Tracking Camera (with 4 tracking modes)
  • PNVS Laser Target Designator
  • PNVS Tracking Cursors
  • Armaments Menu
  • Target Selection
  • Radar Displays (both RWD Radar Warning Display and Forward Radar)
  • Aircraft Status menu - not functional in Arma 2 version for now.
  • Controls menu
  • FLIR/NV Config menu
  • Flares Countermeasures

Tips:

• MFD shortcut is Left-Alt key.
  • shortcut keys are listed in the MFD under: Controls->Help.
  • the functionality for the pilot and CPG are quite different.

Limitations:

• FLIR: Unfortunately the HWM FLIR system from Arma 1 was not compatible with Arma 2, so the BIS FLIR technique was used instead. A better system probably won't be attempted due to the upcoming release of OA.
  • Targeting: Arma 2 is still lacking some commands from the wishlist like: lockedTarget, turretLockedOn & turretLockOn; making the development of a better targeting system too difficult.
  • Warnings: Incoming Missile warning only operates while IHADSS is active (either monocle or DTV).
  • Targets: The Radar does not auto refresh targets. You need to refresh by viewing Targets page again.
  • Laser Designator: The CPG does not currently have access to the laser designator, even though he should. Hopefully, this may be fixed in future.

Short-term Plans: Fix a bunch of minor issues, plus minor improvements. (list of 30 items)

Potential Long-term Plans: Add support for other addons that use similar/better sub-systems. Extend support for some of this functionality to other choppers and planes/jets, especially: AH-1Z, C-130, UH60. Which is why it uses the generic title AircraftHUD.

Edited by Dr_Eyeball

Looks AWESOME! i was a little disappointed when I didn't see any IHADSS on the stock one and convinced myself that Arma isn't meant to be a flight sim and got on with it...hahaha! Downloading now!!!! Thanks for the effort!

p/s one question... why do you say that its not for "serious use" due to "targeting"? Whats wrong with the targetting?

See the limitations on targeting for what I mean. For hellfires, there is no way to determine what is the current lock and there is no way to create a lock. (Note: this is not the same as an assigned target.) This means that the 2 systems (BIS and this addon) operate independently for locking purpose, which sucks.

I found when messing with the Kiowa, that I could create my own laser locks not using the standard BIS 'tab lock' when using laser targetter.

You had to follow a certain routine to get it to work.

1) user laser to hit the target, emtpy vehicles, houses, walls or any structure

laser will say 'house' etc

then scroll to gun and 'lock', right hand mouse click the laser target

then scroll to hellfire and the target should remain locked, fire away.

Hellfire will track to laser lock and destroy the house/wall/structure etc.

southy

PS been waiting for this addon :)

Well, that sounds like how hellfires are supposed to work, laser guided. :) Anyways, this mod means a lot more training time needed before we can be competent combat pilots! NICE!

This is a definatly a welcome suprise. Very good addition, just the symbology looks good.

I hope you are looking into doing more with this project, turn the apache into the monster it is.

Personally i think three things that would really improve the immersion are:-

Laser guided hellfires aswell as the RF varient, with the ablity to lock onto any laser energy, wether it be the apache itself, a wingman, uav, sf team whatever.

The ability to select, at least 2 of the hellfire fire modes, LOBL & LOAL for example. Or even just the ability to set a top attack mode on the default launch.

Finally, just to keep going on such a good addon :)

I am in no means telling you what to do btw, i just feel the above would make it something special, as it deserves to be.

I have an error message saying some files are missing (I beleive that's the FLIR, counter measures and so on). Where can I get the missing files for this adddon ? There is the HWM release but it's for Arma 1.

Tim987, what message in particular? It requires CBA addon. Apart from that, all else is in the same pbo.

Eyeball, I get the same flares.sqf missing error when I place an apache in editor. note: it is the ACE version apache.

Also, is there a quick key for bringing up the IHASS? It doesn't come on by default when using TADS like the manual says.

Thanks for the reports.

New version uploaded with minor path hot fix: AircraftHUD_v2.zip (see first post).

Silly me, my test mission already has the same folders so I had no error during testing.

Did a quick test on ACE too, seems to work ok.

@Shadow.D. ^BOB^: The extended firing modes (like LOBL & LOAL) would be nice, but would likely be outside the scope of this project, plus I'd wait and see what OA offers.

@jasonnoguchi: The IHADSS monocle shortcut is your compass key (or 'K' normally). See the keys in the MFD under Controls->Help, then follow the sub menus for all the different areas.

To bad this is not signed so people cannot use it on our servers, and I cannot use it on our servers. Would be nice to see this integrated into ACE mod.

Getting the same error, but otherwise shes working fine - fantastic to have something that gives the apache a bit more oomph and differentiates it from just being a remodelled Cobra :)

Edit: just seen the hotfix, all good :)

It would be fantastic if there was a way to make the cannon auto-range adjust like the real thing. Having to point my crosshairs so high the target is out of screen is a joke :(

Edited by (AEF)Swordsman

Can the laser be activated by the gunner somehow? I keep trying to activate it as the gunner, but the Pilot always states that the TADS Camera is not active. Brilliant work, really liking the immersion you get with this addon.

is there anyway to build this in to a mission so everyone dont need the addon???

1) user laser to hit the target, emtpy vehicles, houses, walls or any structure

laser will say 'house' etc

then scroll to gun and 'lock', right hand mouse click the laser target

then scroll to hellfire and the target should remain locked, fire away.

Hellfire will track to laser lock and destroy the house/wall/structure etc.

LOL... nice find :ok:

How do you fire with the cannon when using the FLIR ? Great work anyway, real immersive. Too bad you have to move the camera with the keyboards instead of using the mouse though.

Verry nice Dr_Eyball ..was looking for an better targetting system,

but aint it better that the IHADSS is smaller and more to the right of the screen instead in the middle and almost take the whole screen ?

But still great work ..keep it up !

Can the laser be activated by the gunner somehow? I keep trying to activate it as the gunner, but the Pilot always states that the TADS Camera is not active. Brilliant work, really liking the immersion you get with this addon.
FLIR: Unfortunately the HWM FLIR system from Arma 1 was not compatible with Arma 2, so the BIS FLIR technique was used instead. A better system probably won't be attempted due to the upcoming release of OA.

Targeting: Arma 2 is still lacking some commands from the wishlist like: lockedTarget, turretLockedOn & turretLockOn; making the development of a better targeting system too difficult.

Warnings: Incoming Missile warning only operates while IHADSS is active (either monocle or DTV).

Targets: The Radar does not auto refresh targets. You need to refresh by viewing Targets page again.

Laser Designator: The CPG does not currently have access to the laser designator, even though he should. Hopefully, this may be fixed in future

Edited by Sneaker-78-

This is amazing.... Why didnt BIS do this in the 1st place with the apache ;)

Loving it !

One solution for the lack of laser in the current build:

Add this addmagazine "laserbatteries" ; this addweapon "laserdesignator_mounted" to the Apache.

Select Laser Designator and turn on Laser (don't bother painting the target at this point).

Select Hellfire and lock the laser target (Tab by default), fire Hellfire.

Immediately after launch, select Laser and drag crosshair onto target.

Very limited compared to the real thing, but at least it allows for precision targeting at all.

Hopefully we'll see a return of the ArmA1 ACE set up.

Hi there,

great mod Dr.Eyeball!

One possible solution for getting rid of your missile problem would be to make your mod MMA compatible. I think that has everything you need and with the hud / mfd graphics already in place, shouldn't be too hard to do (at least I think so) ;)