Sign in to follow this  
galzohar

fix collision issues...

QsFixdrxbsw

Notice the weapon clipping through the wall at the start of the video and the character is actually moving slightly away from the building as it advances, yet when it reaches the corner it gets stuck. This is quite easily recreateable on just about any building in the game, as well as in many other situations (going up stairwells, around trees).

This is one of the main reason people don't stop complaining about how terrible CQB is in this game. Fixing this would go a long way towards making this game better.

At least that's a reason why shorter weapons are better for CQB in this game as in RL. :)

Not really, as you can see the weapon can easily go THROUGH the wall (at the start), yet you still collide with the corner even though the weapon is clearly not touching it. I wouldn't be surprised if weapon length is completely irrelevant in this game :( even if it is, the implementation is totally wrong. At the end the collision issues that are unrelated to weapon length are a lot more significant than anything related to weapon length even if it exists.

I believe that issue, weapon going through the wall, is the result of having only a few generic collision LODs for weapons(ie. "rifle", "huge-ass rifle" and "pistol"). At least that used to be the case in Arma1. Why it gets stuck in the corner I have no idea.

Galzohar, i was wondering if weapon collision could be modded?

I have test it a bit and it seems that every player as a generic 'cone collision' at the weapon place.

This cone is active even when the weapon isn't in ironsight (meaning that in lowready position, the gun still interfere with walls and such).

This cone is not independent from the character collision 'cube' as you can see when your weapon pushes your entire body away from the wall when strafing close to it (or just block you).

Finally, the cone is not dependent on the weapon you hold. A MP5 or M16 doesn't seem to make any difference regarding the size of the weapon collision size.

Three things i would love to see then:

-a weapon collision cone size relative to the weapon you have.

-A collision cone INDEPENDENT from your character collision.

-A collision cone that deactivate when you dont aim the weapon.

Imho it would greatly fix the amount of trouble we have at the moment fighting in houses. Is that simply not feasable? Do i have to wait for Groud branch to see proper cqb?

aaah so many questions i have......

If its true that they are using blanket sizes or general sizes for classes of weapons, then they should probably change it if they can in at least OA. Harddrives and memory are only getting larger, so there is not harm in a few more megabytes of data.

Sure weapon length is very much needed to be taken into consideration, but the issue I demonstrated is much more basic than that. What you can see is that even though the game allows you to clip your weapon through the wall, when you reach the corner, even with a weapon clearly away from the wall, you will get stuck on the corner. That's the #1 issue with CQB in the game. Weapon length being of little to no relevance is the #2 issue with CQB in the game. Not being able to bind a key to fast walk is #3 (you'd have to either press 2 different keys that are bound to "walk" AFAIK or use a joystick axis, both not very comfortable). I really wish they'd start by fixing #1.

Of course there is also the fact that just about any object in the game is smaller than what it should be compared to the size of the soldiers, so walls are often quite low and doors/halls are too narrow. But if the #1 issue is fixed we'd at still be able to move around those narrow places and not get stuck every time we reach a corner.

I'd rather see proper rotation of vehicles from collisions, if a tank's left track drives over an obstacle that means the tanks should roll a bit right, not stay level :F

yeah this is a huge problem in this game, I always notice myself not being able to maneouver properly because of the orientation of my character in the game environment add the sluggish controls and animations and you got a problem.

Its also when your in a narrow corridor like between two buildings or a stair case.If you run up a staircase you will not be able to turn around and must back out like a truck.

That's more because the staircase is unrealistically narrow (more of a problem with the building model) and you didn't lower your weapon, and less because of the issue I mentioned. The issue I demonstrated here is only present when your character is next to an object's corner.

Doorways are even more annoying. I try to peak out while turning but you end up stuck and have to back up and walk strait through. The game can't expect us to lower our weapons every time we walk through a door.