Sign in to follow this  
king homer

minimalHit - how is it working?

In one of the last betapatches BI added a new value for the cpp's called "minimalHit".

Now I fiddled around with that config-entry for a while now but it doesn't seem to work the way I want it to.

Maybe I'm just using it wrong.

Situation

I'm trying to improve some armor values for tanks and I set it up like this:

I have tank A with

class HitHull {armor = 0.97;material = -1;name = "telo";passThrough = 0; minimalhit = 400;};

and I have gun B with

hit = 1200;

The hit values has three times as much power as the minimalHit value and iirc the gun should be able to damage the "Hull" selection of the tank.

But when shooting at the tank now the "Hull" selection stays without damage for four or more hits but turns to red all out of sudden after a specific number of hits. The damage is not increasing steadily, even if the direct hit value is three times as large as the minimum required damage.

Increasing or decreasing the minimalHit value does not have any effect.

What am I doing wrong or how is this supposed to work and is it even working correctly?

You shouldn't be able to produce any damage to the hull with a gun that has a hit value smaller than 400. That at least is the meaning of the value minimalhit. So your description doesn't imply that minimalhit isn't working, because hit value is 1200 which is definately bigger than 400 ;)

Yes I understand that but the effect is that there is no damage visible even if the damage is greater than the minimalHit.

So if you leave out minimalhit value the damage behaviour is normal?

Correct. Without minimalHit the damage is increasing steadily with every hit (at least shown in the damage display of a tank).

When adding the minimalHit to just one selection (f.e. HitHull) the specific part will not show any damage until a certain number of hits.

Minimalhit indeed doesn't seem to to work as suggested. Parts with minimalhit assigned indeed ignore damage below the value, but they also ignore damage above it. But even though damage to parts is ignored, overall damage is still accumulated, even if shot by bullets with hit much lower than minimalhit assigned.

Edit: tested with passthrough set to 0 and 1, with the same results.

Edited by Q1184

Possible to get a CIT ticket with repro steps and a sample addon please.

Or maybe it needs 1.05 full..

Yeah I'v noticed a weird bug with using minimalHit as well.

I assigned it to all components of tank. I shot tank with a 120mm gun that had well over damage capabilities. I got out and went inside of the tank I just shot. It had a damaged engine and Left Track, so it wouldnt drive straight.

Heres where it got strange:

I then shot at the other tank in front of it that i just used as a test platform, it richochetted off and hit mine.

This caused the entire damage indicator turned orange and everything worked flawlessly again, even though 2 seconds before left tread and motor were in red.

I know this is going off-topic but I play alot of boardgames like Warhammer 40K and they have for Armoured vehicles Partial and Direct hits that would have different values you needed to roll the dice on, is there a similar thing like this in Arma 2 except that things like minimalhit are changed?

i.e. a partial RPG hit that hits the ground rear of a tank , does that behave differently to a direct RPG hit?

Yes it does. When ground is hit but not the tank itself only the indirect damage value depending on indirect damage range will be applied.