Sign in to follow this  
csj

B17 - trials

Testing B17 style aircraft with multi turrets using some of ArmA 2 new features.

I only have 8 of the guns setup for test but they all work good in game, with AI or player at controls.

Quick video on play around test mission in game using very basic B17 and 109 models.

That is pretty cool!

were there any special hurdles you had to get over to get them working propperly?

Guest RKSL-Rock

But do the guns actually fire along the axis of the turrets? Or are they scripted?

we faced the same problem with the UAVs which is why we ended up scritping them. Or have you just used the attachto command?

Edited by RKSL-Rock
horrible beer inspired spelling

Very nice CSJ. People will be wanting a remake of the classic COD4 mission with the C130 next. :p

Posted up some news about it on ArmedAssault.info. ;)

that looks fun I would love to have those planes in my video instead of these camels :D

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwR-RAVyGQg&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwR-RAVyGQg&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

@RKSL-Rock - just using what BIS have given us, no claims to fame from me.

Scripting is not my pleasure. Why recreate the wheel when this works fine.

You can still controll all gunners on board if you are TL.

I'll will need a script to jump from gun to gun whislt in game, well it would help.

Guest RKSL-Rock

I'll will need a script to jump from gun to gun whislt in game, well it would help.

Seriously? what verson are you using? The last i tried it guns would only fire along the longditundinal axis!

Watching the youtube now. In the mean time, will you release the CH46 like you promised?

hmmm, last time I promised something was over 25 years ago and I have stuck to it. (...and yes you get less for murder.)

I said I have nearly completed it, which is true.

It may be included in Unsung's first ArmA 2 release if I get inspired that way.

So if tackup wont release it, we wont be seeing it on ArmA, fair enough.

Regarding B17, what was the technique you used to make that addon, was it attachTo command or something else?

Like RKSL-Rock said, it was assumed it doesn't work properly.

So if tackup wont release it, we wont be seeing it on ArmA, fair enough.

- ArmA, sorry I thought we were talking A2, silly me. Maybe.
technique you used to make that addon, was it attachTo command
- Yes, attachTo command, thought I said that but looking back I see I did not - sorry.

Works good for me so far and has done for a while. Holds position fairly nicely.

I can not think of any problems with it other then the in vehicle viewing problem.

ie cargoView, pilotview etc where the attached object will appear outside of the vehicle. Same thing when using proxies.

Guest RKSL-Rock

Well having taken another look at the video and discussed it with UNN and of course re reading this:

It seems to be 'attachto scripted'. So not really "out of the box". More, "stuck on the box" :p

EDIT

Ooops didnt see the last page of replies.

Edited by RKSL-Rock

The attachTo command is a welcome addition, it saves many hours of scripting, as both me and CSJ know from adding about 7 or more turrets to his ATC, back in OFP.

But it isn't the same as aircraft with working turrets. It's just the next best thing. There is still a lot of effort required, to get it working like any other vehicle in game.

Actually UNN, I was thinking of the ATCs recently, they are on the todo list.

Another problem so far is I can not shake the shadow of unit in attached, I have "castGunnerShadow = false;" in both plane and attached cfg. It is not a major issue.

Working on the player swapping position with gunner now.

@RKSL-Rock and to all I guess. I have a slight visual reading/ writing problem

these days.

I can read a sentence 3 times and read it 3 different ways, makes learning code a bitch but you do what you can.

So if my replies seem odd or rude it is not intended as such - generally.;)

Looking good, reminds of an old game i used to play many years ago, the mighty eighth, i think it was called, cool.

Looking good, reminds of an old game i used to play many years ago, the mighty eighth, i think it was called, cool.

b17o.jpg

@ CSJ look your pm

B 17 in game

great plane

;)

Edited by Non-Human

did anyone check GNATs B52.. the bombardier has a moveable optic that i do not believe is scripted.

Testing B17 style aircraft with multi turrets using some of ArmA 2 new features.

I only have 8 of the guns setup for test but they all work good in game, with AI or player at controls.

Quick video on play around test mission in game using very basic B17 and 109 models.

Well glad to see that the lack and gap any real successor to the b-17 mighty eight or any good new b-17 simulation can be filled byt arma 2

---------- Post added at 05:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:17 PM ----------

b17o.jpg

@ CSJ look your pm

B 17 in game

great plane

;)

Oh yeah i was so depressed when i found out that the succecor to B-17 the mighty eight called B-17 The Legend Retuns was cancelled. I believe shockwave procution bought the rights and the code of b-17 the mighty eight and for unknown reasons the project was abandoned. I have been looking for any signs of a new b-17 simulator . There were some addon packs for the b-17 in CFS3 but you could only fly in a formation of 3 or 6 max and if was dissapointing. Guess arma 2 would make a good alternative platform for anything serious simulatin the b-17

may wanna edit ur post & not quote the image, the mods are gay about that kind of stuff:rolleyes: ;)

Oh yeah i was so depressed when i found out that the succecor to B-17 the mighty eight called B-17 The Legend Retuns was cancelled. I believe shockwave procution bought the rights and the code of b-17 the mighty eight and for unknown reasons the project was abandoned. I have been looking for any signs of a new b-17 simulator . There were some addon packs for the b-17 in CFS3 but you could only fly in a formation of 3 or 6 max and if was dissapointing. Guess arma 2 would make a good alternative platform for anything serious simulatin the b-17

I also draft a B17 in addon, ARMA2 lends itself to squadrons of B17

b173d.jpg

video from the B-17 the mighty eight

http://www.mediafire.com/file/2mmjtdnn2z2/B17.rar

scadron.jpg

Edited by Non-Human