Sign in to follow this  
MirindoR

Acog scope

ive gone through the forums and ive seen it has already been discussed a lot, and i also have seen addons that have partially fixed the problem such as ''31st MEU Replacement Reticles and Realistic Ballistics''

but the acog scope in arma 2 simply is nothing like the real thing.

its hard to get used to after having seen how rather awesome it had been done in cod 4, and i would like to see something of the sort (maybe improved) in arma 2.

i think instead of just changing the reticule, which is what yakavetta did, although forgetting the horizontal lines basically making the civilian version, it would look better if it was used like the aimpoint is currently used in arma 2 (so no black sheet of cardboard with a hole in the middle in front of your screen): simply instead of having the red dot, it would have the acog reticle and model.

this is what the acog the US Marines use (the TA31RCO) looks like,

In Real Life:

acogirl.jpg

in Arma: (as has been said already, completely wrong reticule for its model)

acogarma2.jpg

in project reality, a bf2 mod (aka cardboard /w hole method, stadia lines are missing): screen277.png

in Call of Duty Modern Warfare: acog.jpg

in insurgencymod, a fan-made modern infantry combat mod on the source engine:

insmodacog.png

out of all 4 the arma scope is sadly the least realistic, and while i hope that they will implement a good acog in OPA i doubt that they will fix it with a patch.

it is a 2 eyes open scope, meaning you should be able to see the surroundings while looking through it, so:

is it doable to replace the red dot with the chevron and switch the scope models?

Edited by MirindoR

It has a zoom. kind of. The whole screen is zoomed, even that what you see outside the scope. I dont think thats especially realistic, but what the hell.

in cod 4 it does, i just think that the cod4 game mechanics compel the zoom to happen on the whole screen, not just what you see through the scope. no matter there, hardly makes a difference. in cod 4 u do have the impression you're looking through an acog. ain arma 2 that feeling is missing.

Edited by MirindoR

i think we had a discussion about this some time ago and yeah, its not possible in arma2 to have just whats through the scope to be zoomed.

IIRC one of the best suggestions that came out of thta was to have it so you could still see around the scope, but have a blur filter for everything outside of the scope.

why? as i said the acog is a 2 eyes open scope so you are supposed to see whats around - though i guess it could simulate eye focus i think its best to leave it normal, blurring would kill the framerate and maybe give lag.. is there any addon wip for this type of thing? only ones i have seen are the lame black screen /w hole, project reality style.

Edited by MirindoR

why? as i said the acog is a 2 eyes open scope so you are supposed to see whats around - though i guess it could simulate eye focus i think its best to leave it normal, blurring would prolly create lag anyways.. is there any addon wip for this type of thing? only ones i have seen are the lame black screen /w hole.

I think your question why was not related to the above poster right? This discussion was here before, the outcome was that most people want it but that its impossible in arma 2.

so no need to explain people, find a way to do it or it will never be here:) Compromises are not lame, they are a workaround as there still is the no go from arma 2.

I think your question why was not related to the above poster right? This discussion was here before, the outcome was that most people want it but that its impossible in arma 2.

so no need to explain people, find a way to do it or it will never be here:) Compromises are not lame, they are a workaround as there still is the no go from arma 2.

Alot of people are rather new here. I would epect to see this topic come up several times more as the popularity of arma2 brings more new members to the game.

the moral of the story is if you have an optic with any kind of zoom is has to be done through a proxy as the engine has no render to texture capabilities.

Its possible to have the outside of the screen to be shown, but its not possible to only zoom the scope part, the whole screen needs to be zoomed.

its not a point of being able to zoom only the part inside the actual scope. such a thing has yet to be seen on any game for any console or pc that i know of, and is quite out of the question, and not the point of my thread. maybe you should look at the pictures (specially the cod 4 pic) and understand what were talking about

my point is having an acog on the weapon, having the proper reticule, with night (and day) glowing chevron, and that when you zoom in the weapon, scope, hands/whatever remain visible, just like in the cod 4 acog or in the Arma2 aimpoint. now is there any WIP or addon for this?

i think making the reticule itself should be rather easy, i read that giving a glowing effect can be done, and i think that seeing and aiming through the acog like it was an aimpoint but with 4x (and ofc the acog reticule and model) should be fully possible

I think your question why was not related to the above poster right?

yes it was.. my question being why it would have to be blurred, being a 2 eyes open scope.

Edited by MirindoR

As I posted in the other thread there was about this kind of thing, the FFAA mod did something more like what you are looking for.

The biggest problem with both (but more so the COD one) is that the sight seems to tunnel your vision quite alot whereas the ACOG is generally regarded to have a very good FOV afaik.

scope.jpg

yeah thats pretty much what i mean, just the wrong reticule =(

also i have been wandering about all these mods, and how that relates to multiplayer games (i have downloaded a few mods, and now can no longer join MP games (some F16 mod is pissing me off with the editor and MP games i wish i never had installed it, and cant remove it now or i wont be able to play my edited maps even if the f16's were removed, but nvm that here), not that it matters a lot to me, as i find the DOMIA2 that 99% of the servers play rather boring after a while,but still, does it have to do with bisign files? and do these files allow players that see different things through the same scope play on the same server?

im just curious as to whether these kinds of addons prevent MP gaming

checking out FFAA mod right now

you should always keep addons in a seperate addons folder to the one containing BIS files, if you do that then you can have two shortcuts, one with the addons activated for SP and one without for MP.

There ahould be a few tutorials for making a mod folder here or on armaholic.com

sounds like you need to learn how to use mod folders and perhaps get an arma2 launcher to simplify loading arma with or without certain mods.

bisign files should be with the .pbo's, and this will allow you to play on servers which allow it. There are some servers which also have no mod restriction at all (from what i can tell).

i tried ffaa but all the acogs of the vanilla arma 2 weapons stay as they are, and this is what the g36 GL acog looks like, note the numbers written back to front.

do i have an old version or something?

got it from here http://www.armaholic.com/page.php?id=6748

Might be you have a NEW version, I have only got the original DL of the FFAA.

If you have any crosshair changing mods on it could also be that.

Isnt it on the M249? from memory. i could be talking crap.

Yeah think it is, must just be that FFAA dcided to replace the old version (what I have) with the BIS style sights.

thats a pity. i have no knowledge on how to do this stuff. and i reckon its harder than tweaking scripts. does anyone know how this could be done?

thats a pity. i have no knowledge on how to do this stuff. and i reckon its harder than tweaking scripts. does anyone know how this could be done?

To do it like the FFAA mod I would guess you would just need to set a weapon up like you would an Iron sight weapon (putting an "eye" memory point in the memory LOD for where the eye is in game when you look down the sights) and then in the config just use/set a similar level of magnification to the ACOG.

ok i dunno how to do any of that, but that leaves how to config the model that ''replaces'' the aimpoint and the reticle itself. most of all i believe that the acog has no ''hole'' to see through, its just black on both sides, unlike the aimpoint which can be seen through in 3rd person the same way as it is in first, and in first person you can see through it with the freelook without having to zoom in,. this makes me think a whole new model for the acog is needed, although maybe ffaa managed to do it some other way.

would be nice to have whatever he had done in his older version and just change the reticle on it.

Edited by MirindoR

ok i dunno how to do any of that, but that leaves how to config the model that ''replaces'' the aimpoint and the reticle itself. most of all i believe that the acog has no ''hole'' to see through, its just black on both sides, unlike the aimpoint which can be seen through in 3rd person the same way as it is in first, and in first person you can see through it with the freelook without having to zoom in,. this makes me think a whole new model for the acog is needed, although maybe ffaa managed to do it some other way.

would be nice to have whatever he had done in his older version and just change the reticle on it.

I doubt it takes much to do the ACOG in the same way as the red dot sight, you would however have to replace all the models that use the old ACOG with the new one which might be alot of work making that many models.

well does anyone have more screens of the ''old'' ffaa scope? it seemed like he had done pretty much what im saying, just with a different reticle. i wonder whether that scope seen in the pic u linked was of an acog or something different.

Edited by MirindoR

Yeah think it is, must just be that FFAA dcided to replace the old version (what I have) with the BIS style sights.

it says in the changelog on the armaholic page that in version 1.1 beta he changed all the acog scopes. is your version prior to that?

---

did a bit of research and found that in http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=83275, angle states that

''AG36 Acog: Stand rested and freelook in to the acog. there is no inner walls. The way it zooms is nice.''

peloton announces 1 page later that all acog viewers have been changed.

sent him a pm for clarification on this, but if u still have the old version stalker could you try doing that freelook thing and see what happens? i reckon it could be the reason for which they reverted back to ''carboard 'n hole'' style scopes.

---------- Post added at 03:21 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:01 AM ----------

this is a rough idea of what i would like it to be in arma 2, made it in a few mins with MSpaint

acoginarma.jpg

Edited by MirindoR