Sign in to follow this  
fulcrum29smt

Steam ARMA and problem with Teamspeak when selecting Multiplayer.

Hello,

I have recommended to a friend to buy Arma2 through the 50% off Steam offer, I have the retail dvd version.

We normally use Teamspeak when we are playing Il-2, Silent Hunter 4 and other games and we can talk and play without problems. But I don't understand what's happening with the Steam version, everytime he selects he selects the Multiplayer menu from inside the game I can not hear him more.

He needs to restart his computer and make a Windows microphone test in order to be able to use again Teamspeak correctly.

He is using a Logitech USB headphones (usb integrated soundcard) in instance of the mainboard integrated soundcard. We have been able to play games as Insurgency or Day of Defeat Source through Steam on the past and we had not these problems.

Is there any option to disable the internal voice game communications? We have checked the game options but we have not found anything. Can you please give us some information about how to fix it?

Thanks,

fulcrum29smt

I used to have the same problem and it's something with either sound drivers or hardware. I have an on-board AC97 7.1 surround; and for some reason it didn't like using two different VOIP programs at the same time. I couldn't use TS and in-game VON with each other or it would be all broken up and no one could hear me. Also didn't work when playing Counter Strike Source and using TS

It seems the latest drivers fixed it for me, so make sure his are up-to-date

I used to have the same problem and it's something with either sound drivers or hardware. I have an on-board AC97 7.1 surround; and for some reason it didn't like using two different VOIP programs at the same time. I couldn't use TS and in-game VON with each other or it would be all broken up and no one could hear me. Also didn't work when playing Counter Strike Source and using TS

It seems the latest drivers fixed it for me, so make sure his are up-to-date

The strange thing about this problem is that only affects to Steam Arma 2 version, as I said we can play other Steam games using Teamspeak at same time without problems.

For us would not be a problem not having in-game VON communications, but Teamspeak should work then at least. :(

ah, I mis-understood thinking Arma2 was the only steam game you were using. But I do play with some people who can run both fine, so not sure why it's not working on your end

ah, I mis-understood thinking Arma2 was the only steam game you were using. But I do play with some people who can run both fine, so not sure why it's not working on your end

No problem M8. English is not my first language so probably my explanation induced your error. ;)

We have been making some more test changing Steam "active" sound card and other things, but we still have not solved it. Anyway thanks for your help.

if this not resolve Your issue http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11676292&postcount=2

then post any further findings or more issues on both forums (here and STEAM User Forum as i noticed you started thread there also) ...

btw. detailed description of system hardware in question /OS and driver builds would be welcomed too

then i will see what can i do

Edited by Dwarden

if this not resolve Your issue http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11676292&postcount=2

then post any further findings or more issues on both forums (here and STEAM User Forum as i noticed you started thread there also) ...

btw. detailed description of system hardware in question /OS and driver builds would be welcomed too

then i will see what can i do

Thanks for your help Dwarden,

We are still having this problem.

I copy here the new message I wrote on Steam User Forum.

Hello again,

We have checked Teamspeak configuration and Windows sound settings but we still have this problem. He is able to charge the game and the TS works but since he selects the menu option "Multiplayer" he just is able to say 1-2-3 and gets muted.

We have tried to use the internal Steam voice communications and it works but quality is worst compared to Team Speak. So probably Steam ARMA 2 sound system is blocking the Team Speak communications. I don't know how we can fix it

Any idea?

Here is some information about his computer:

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 @ 3,0 Ghz

Motherboard: Asus P5Q Pro

RAM: 4 Gb Kingston value DDR-2 800

GPU: ATI Saphire 4870 512 Mbytes Pciex

HD: Seagate 500 Gb Sata2

PSU: Corsair TX 650W

Display: Asus TFT 19" & 1280x1024

Audio: Creative X-fi Xtreme Gamer

Headphones: Logitech PC Headset 960 USB (USB soundcard included)

Input: Logitech mouse, Saitek X52 Pro joystick.

Try checking Use Only Default Devices in your Sound Control Panel. Just a thought.

TS2 is running as admin ?

i would actually think the problem is no ARMA 2 blocking TS2 but STEAM own Voice implementation (see STEAM settings > voice)

Steam VOIP doesn't get activated unless you open voice chat with someone in-game through the Steam interface. There is no way to disable it.

Using USB audio in addition to a regular sound card, there must be a misconfiguration somewhere.

Try checking Use Only Default Devices in your Sound Control Panel. Just a thought.

The problem is that he has no other headset available. Anyway I want that he tries a normal headset non usb and see what happens.

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

TS2 is running as admin ?

i would actually think the problem is no ARMA 2 blocking TS2 but STEAM own Voice implementation (see STEAM settings > voice)

First of all sorry by the delaying the answer, we couldn't make more test the previous days.

We have checked it, TS runned as admin drops same problem.

I think that too Dwarden, problaby the problem is generated from Steam game voice implementation or the mix between Arma 2 game adaptation to Steam and Steam itself.

Anyway there is one more aspect we have detected now. When he selects the menu option "Multiplayer" from inside the game he is able to speak for about 3-4 seconds.

After this if he tries to make a count from 1-10 we can hear/understand and not always the first number and gets muted again. He can repeat it, but the problem is still there. If we stablish Steam voice communication he is able to speak and we can listen him but with very bad sound quality.

The strange thing about this problem is that if he resets the computer the problem is still there when he tries to use again Teamspeak. We can not hear him, he can hear us. If he unplugs his Scientific Atlanta Cable Router he is able again to speak correctly and we can hear him.

In order to get working again Team Speak he needs to reset the router, not the PC so can be this problem caused by the router? :j:

What do you think about this? :confused:

---------- Post added at 07:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:17 PM ----------

Steam VOIP doesn't get activated unless you open voice chat with someone in-game through the Steam interface. There is no way to disable it.

Using USB audio in addition to a regular sound card, there must be a misconfiguration somewhere.

Could be Tcp, I don't like too much too USB audio devices. We have checked all configuration settings that can affect sound/voice on Windows Control Panel, on Steam and on Team Speak but we still are experiencing same problem.

Hi again,

I just want to share the solution to this problem just in case it could help others.

Problem solved after many test and headaches... The firewall router was causing the problem.

After reading some problems where some users of Spanish Cable Internet Provider ONO were having similar problems hosting games and other things we disabled the firewall on his Scientific Atlanta Cable Router and now the problem has been solved. We can talk through Teamspeak without any problem and we can hear ingame communications as well.

It's not the ideal situation but it seems that the router firmware causes the problem when it's activated. I have recommended to my friend to use a software firewall in his computer just by security reasons.

Regards,

fulcrum29smt