Sign in to follow this  
ardvarkdb

Australian SASR Units (Ported from Armed Assault)

Australian Special Air Service Regiment for Arma 2

By Ardvarkdb

sasrlogo2.jpg

Version 1.2 10/25/09

- Fixed all known texture and normal map issues (the leg holster straps but no leg holster).

- Fixed the model issue on the Scout units.

- Added a Woodland Machine gunner.

- Added all missing items (radio, map, watch, etc.) to all units

- Replaced all heads with head proxy, which fixed almost all issues with the heads i.e. eyes closed, bad looking textures, all camo faces, etc.

- Added additional groups to the editor (Woodland Squad, Woodland Patrol, Desert Squad, Desert Patrol)

-This update should fix 95% of the problems mentioned (all but the custom chopper bug).

Various operators from the Australian Special Air Service Regiment (SASR). Units based off of Jonny's U.S. Special Forces models. These units can be found under the Blufor / Ard Australian SASR in the Editor: ARD SASR DESERT & ARD SASR WOODLAND.

Signed Addon for Multiplayer (not tested)

Includes 13 soldiers in light and heavy gear, totaling 26 units

Special thanks to Jonny for his excellent models and textures which I used as a base for these.

Additional Images

Town Assault

Woodland Patrol

Woodland Saboteur

Desert Machinegunner

This is my first A2 port, so I'm sure there are problems. Let me know what works and what doesn't so this and future addons can be improved!

Download link V1.2

Mediafire

Armaholic

ArmedAssault.info

Eprison

Use this addon at your own risk and enjoy!

Edited by ardvarkdb
fixed download link

Whenever I try to test them, my game crashes and dumps 16mb worth of text in my arma2.rpt file about skeleton errors. This seemed to happen with most of the Desert units, which were the only ones I tested so far, or at least tried to.

Anyway, the addOn looks top-notch. I hope you can manage to fix that pretty serious issue. I'm looking forward for your other addOns too (?) :)

Re-uploaded the file. Something must have happened during the binarization process. Sorry about that. Should be working now. I downloaded it myself and tested it and it loaded up fine so I hope it works for everyone else.

I do plan on eventually porting over some of my other stuff, but maybe not everything. There are 38 multicam SF units, and I just can't see going through and replacing all the hands and heads and various other bits for each one, so I will probably release a "condensed" pack :) I also might revisit the MGS4 PMCs, do a bit of a redux, since it pains me to see the quality of those compared to where I feel I am now.

Edited by ardvarkdb

Thanks, the addOn finally works.

I noticed that the conversations don't work for these units and it gives an error Undefined variable in expression: _uselanguage, when the AI try to conversate with each other. I also got several missing rvmat file errors, which you probably are aware of already.

I'm looking forward for the next version. :rolleyes: With less pumpkins.

I was really looking forward to this or some of your other units beeing ported...

Will there be a serious version or will you stick to the "pumpkin-issue"?

ArmedAssault.info Mirror and News:

1210209.gif

We have also added this release to your personal author profile

If a release or contact information is missing, feel free to drop a PM, it will then be added.

And here is the BBCode if you want to add our Mirror to your release post :

[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=1111][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/1210209.gif][/url]

If you prefer a text only BBCode please copy and paste the code below :

[b]ArmedAssault.info Mirror :[/b]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=1111]DOWNLOAD - Australian SASR (v.1.0) - [18MB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url][/spoiler]

Any1 else have halloween while using this units? :confused:

I also might revisit the MGS4 PMCs, do a bit of a redux, since it pains me to see the quality of those compared to where I feel I am now.

Nice to see this, I rather liked your MGS4 PMC units.

However is it likely that you could give them the Safariland holster that Jonny made on these versus the one they were using in ArmA 1?

As the Praying Mantis PMC's during the Middle East level (which I believe the model you had was loosely based on due to the Land CIRAS) had Safariland holsters (usually in Black.)

prayingmantis.th.jpg

Thank you very much for any consideration you give to this.

Edited by Delta One Zero
Adding thumbnail pic

Thanks, the addOn finally works.

I noticed that the conversations don't work for these units and it gives an error Undefined variable in expression: _uselanguage, when the AI try to conversate with each other. I also got several missing rvmat file errors, which you probably are aware of already.

I'm looking forward for the next version. :rolleyes: With less pumpkins.

hehe. I"m a fan of Halloween so I had to do something...

The rvmat error was caused when I binarized the files. Sometimes it deletes the rvmats, sometimes it doesn't. It will be fine in the full release (due out soon). As for the uselanguage error, I have no idea what that is about. Is there something I need to change in the config?

Just one request... PLEASE swap the helmet on the Automatic Rifleman for an ACH helmet (MICH TC-2000 Combat Helmet) :butbut:

The pumkin heads thing was funny, I had to look twice at first!

hehe. I"m a fan of Halloween so I had to do something...

The rvmat error was caused when I binarized the files. Sometimes it deletes the rvmats, sometimes it doesn't. It will be fine in the full release (due out soon). As for the uselanguage error, I have no idea what that is about. Is there something I need to change in the config?

I think the problem is that you're using SoldierWB and SoldierWMedic as the base classes for your units, while they don't have the most up-to-date config definitions. Those classes are only used as another base classes for the Arma 2 default units. You should try using, for example, USMC_Soldier_Base and USMC_Soldier_Medic instead.

I think the problem is that you're using SoldierWB and SoldierWMedic as the base classes for your units, while they don't have the most up-to-date config definitions. Those classes are only used as another base classes for the Arma 2 default units. You should try using, for example, USMC_Soldier_Base and USMC_Soldier_Medic instead.

Thanks, I realized that this morning and have since fixed it, and the greeting stuff works fine. It also added some nice camo faces :)

I'm finishing up adding groups, and then I'll be uploading a new version with the real units. I'll post again when the new file is up.

thanks a lot!!!great job!!hope the new dl is ready this evening,so I can play!!!!!

The actual addon has been released. Version 1.1 is available for download in the first post.

Includes all 26 soldiers, but only a group for the woodland units. I was having trouble getting two groups in for some reason. All pumpkins have been squashed...

Enjoy

Edited by ardvarkdb

I've noticed that the woodland units don't have an Automatic Rifleman. Is this WAD?

EDIT:

The units have no maps, so in-game you can only see black. They also have no radios so they don't say anything. These are new Arma 2 features, so it's quite understandable. Other than that, they look great, I was really missing this kind of SF soldiers.

Edited by nicolas_br

EDIT:

The units have no maps, so in-game you can only see black. They also have no radios so they don't say anything. These are new Arma 2 features, so it's quite understandable. Other than that, they look great, I was really missing this kind of SF soldiers.

What do you mean by no maps? The faces? The body? They spoke just fine on my end when I walked up and spoke with them, but maybe you are referring to something else. If anyone else is having this problem and could provide a screen I would appreciate it. I'm trying to sort through all this new A2 stuff :j:

As for the woodland gunner, I made x number of models, and only one ended up with MG gear, and he happened to be on the desert side.

Updated the first post with an Armaholic Mirror (Thanks!)

I mean literally the item map. To see what I mean just put an average BI soldier in the editor an press "G" and look in the inferior part of the inventory. You'll see various items- compass, watch, radio, map, gps in some. If you remove the map, for example, when pressing "M" you'll see nothing but a black screen with the briefing. Removing the radio, on the other hand, makes it so that you can't hear any communication, although you can give orders and receive them, you just don't hear anything. Your units don't have these items, which weren't present in Arma 1. Nothing major, really, very easy to fix, sorry if I was unclear at first.

Edited by nicolas_br

Sorry, I think I just wasn't sure what you were referring to. I'll have to put these things in for the next update. Thanks for noticing and explaining, I appreciate it.

would be possible to have some units without the camouflage on face and some weapons with handgrip?

thanks

The units are looking very nice. Just wants me to work more on my arma2 stuff

I noticed that all of the characters' eyes are closed in game. I'm not 100% sure what's that about, but did you use the model.cfg file included in the Arma 2 sample models package when you binarized the addOn? Using that should do the trick, I think.