Sign in to follow this  
Iena

Game CPU Load

Hi my friend i am new user and i have a question for you:

I have a quad core Q6600 to 2.6 at 3.8GHz,and when i play in the campaign the cpu load at 55% max,instead in the SP or editor mode,the cpu load at 75-80% and the fps improve so much...

Why happens this?

This haoppen to you?

Bad scripts?

Long time ago I had read on this forum, a same problem but I don't remember how it was resolved...

Someone remembers something ?

Thanks to all my friends.:)

That's nothing to worry about, it's just the way Arma 2 was coded.

Q6600 user here, OC'ed to 3.4GHz, she just doesn't care about more voltage.

Haven't seen Arma 2 use more than two cores at a time, the two threads will get moved around the four cores a lot, making it look like the four cores are being used (the context switches adds to the apparent load), once you force the Arma2 threads to run on two specific cores on the same silicon die using affinity, it is clear that there are only two working threads, the load will max out at 50% (two out of four cores maxed out).

Some task just can't be multithreaded beyond a certain point before it becomes inefficient to do so due to the serial nature of some tasks (you can't slice a loaf of bread before it is cooked and can't mix the water and flour inside the oven no matter how many bakers and ovens you have).

My friend,We therefore use only 2 cores?

Haven't seen Arma 2 use more than two cores at a time, ..

I have a Q6600 too and almost 70-80% (=more than 2 cores @100%) load in editor or sp (not much KI). With lots of KI the cpu-usage goes down to 35-55%. In fact of this I only play editor with modules, missions without tons of KI and MP only PvP.

My friend,what do you means for KI?

In the campaign mode,what is your situation?

I have a Q6600 too and almost 70-80% (=more than 2 cores @100%) load in editor or sp (not much KI). With lots of KI the cpu-usage goes down to 35-55%. In fact of this I only play editor with modules, missions without tons of KI and MP only PvP.

Quad Core 2.33Ghz running at about 75% most of the time, not sure on which cores though, I think its only on 2. Nears 100% and I have extreme lag on the main menu.

sorry, makes everytime the same mistake, i mean AI. KI is german...

in campaign sometimes i have 50% usage, sometimes more. In all other situation withot lots of ai its stable 70-80%.

@BigJonnyC

I log the cpu-load with perfmon, an xp systemprogram. 100% = all 4 cores on 100%.

Edited by JumpingHubert

My friend,how many fps do you reach with wich settings?

In campaign mode a reach only 50-60%,why??:mad:

If you look closely at the CPU use when the Arma2.exe working threads are unbound by affinity, you'll see that a good amount of the processing time above 50% is being taken by context switches, once you bind Arma2.exe to a pair of cores sitting on the same physical die, the context switches are minimal and much less costly.

I must correct my cpu load,because it's not 50-60% but max 47,with everest i have see all the application...

you can test it in editor: if you raise successive the number of AI there is successive lowering the cpu-usage. Thats stupid, but its true.

I tested it in the past Arma2 version 1.02.

@Iena

in SP missions I habe 30-50fps depends on graphicsettings. Campaign haven´t played yet.

Edited by JumpingHubert

You can test it in editor: if you raise successive the number of AI there is successive lowering the cpu-usage. Thats stupid, but its true.

I tested it in the past Arma2 version 1.02.

Yes it's the true i have try it:):):)

It's a big bug,or not?

i don´t know. I started for a while a thread related to this problem, but not very much feedback there and marked it in the bug tracker.

I hope that this bug will correct with the 1.5 Patch...