Sign in to follow this  
eble

Acayn's Tie Fighter Pack comes to Arma2

With permission of Acayn - STAR WARS TIE PACK VOLUME II by Acacyn

I'm in the very early stages of converting Acayns tie fighter pack for arma2.

I like to convert addons that I personally find inetresting, I must admit I was prompted to have a look at converting these addons after seeing the amazing work from McRuppert - here http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=81385

a quick and dirty Video showing the Tie Interceptor in action, including the flight Dynamics:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG7fx0Qr9OI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rG7fx0Qr9OI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Tiewip.jpg

the following versions will feature:

TIE Advanced

TIE Assassin

TIE Bomber

TIE Defender

TIE Droid

TIE Experimental

TIE Fighter

TIE Heavy Bomber

TIE Interceptor

TIE Interdictor

TIE Raptor

TIE Raptor Droid

TIE Scimitar

Got some challenges ahead, I need to create an effective looking laser beam, the bombs themselves shouldn't be too much trouble though.

Let me know if you have any ideas etc, in the very early WIP stages so it all starts here.

Southy

update 18/10/2009

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8mH8FMCPo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8mH8FMCPo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Edited by Eble

True true true :) It'll be an amazing kind of work. But why open a new thread for that?

not sure really every one else has a WIP thread, thought I could have one too :)

This thread mainly is for input, as I've only just started looking at the models who knows I might be able to make changes etc.

looks great! i havent seen many of them ever before^^ were they all in the movies??

Yep, good news, those fighters are very nice in OFP. So sad that Acacyn never released all the star war stuff he made, apart from those fighters :rolleyes:

were they all in the movies??

Nope, they were in comics, cartoons, games, & books. ;)

Nice "work" I'm looking forward to a release. :yay:

Yep, good news, those fighters are very nice in OFP. So sad that Acacyn never released all the star war stuff he made, apart from those fighters :rolleyes:

Oh yep... but really nice Eble got the "OK" from Acayn, sadly the GaW mod never got to release their mod, Eble did he say anything about the other stuff, e.g. the star destroyers, druids and alot more...?

Not likely I guess, but the hope dies last. And I've been hoping since 06 or so :o . I know Ruppertle has some units being worked on, but the buildings, vehicles and all that stuf... ok let's cut it here before I get too melodramatic :( .

Edited by Icewindo

I only asked for permission for the Tie fighters, hey who knows if I convert them to a level he is happy with maybe he might allow other work to be converted.

The GAW had vast amounts of addons already done.

If you want the X-Wing or Millenium Falcon you will need to find and get permission from Cell7

I have those models also in Arma2 but I've not asked for permission as I onyl started looking at the Tie fighters last weekend.

Southy

now you just need a terrain modeled to look like the surface of the death star to have some dog fights on ;)

cool stuff!

You could make a TIE boarding ship. According to "Wookiepidea," the TIE boarding ship is what Darth Vadar and the storm troopers used to board the Tantive IV in the beginning of Episode 4. When they made the movies, they originally plan to show the TIE Boarding ship, however it got cut out later and never shown and as for the TIE Boarding ship, it was later used as the TIE Bomber.

Can anyone tell me why GaW didn't get released in OpF?

Was it not completed or was it George?

not sure mate, I know they were pretty well almost done, I doubt it was George as the release would have been free.

Tho I'm not sure so I'm guessing really.

Once I've converted the Tie fighters I might ask Acayn more about GAW, who knows if he is happy with what I do we might be able to convince hime to allow more conversions.

Southy

That would be great, so much potential in ArmA 2, nice work.

Only thought it might be George due to it being free :D.

Can anyone tell me why GaW didn't get released in OpF?

Was it not completed or was it George?

Well ... there was some data and member loss in 2006. Since then Acacyn was working alone on the mod. He's still working on it. That's the last official statement. I joined the team in 2005 to create missions ... but well ... never expected to be so useless due to the lack of addons :(

Ahh, cheers. That's a real bummer as all the stuff made available was of excellent standard.

Tis a shame I have no addon experience (apart from using them :D) as its an awesome project.

I hope Acacyn gets around to finishing it, or gets some help.

Cheers dude.

Someone should make a world based in space, like have the small ships docked at an imperial star destroyer/mon calamari cruiser. Put some lasers on the big ships, make them moveable, make them like a building so you can run around in them, and make it so when the big ships do move, the small ships still stay in the docking bay. Oh it would be awesome, but would take a tremendous amount of time.

Edited by TimeDeatH

Someone should make a world based in space, like have the small ships docked at an imperial star destroyer/mon calamari cruiser. Put some lasers on the big ships, make them moveable, make them like a building so you can run around in them, and make it so when the big ships do move, but the small ships still stay in the docking bay. Oh it would be awesome, but would take a tremendous amount of time.

You should post this in the addon suggestions thread, who knows, you may get a bite as it is a good idea, just lots of work.;)

Edited by Grub
Dumbness

small WIP vid showing the various Tie fighters that will be in the pack on release.

I've been very busy at work so haven't been able to spend much time on these yet, did about 4 hours today messing about making lasers (small preview at the end).

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8mH8FMCPo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yp8mH8FMCPo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

That TIE experimental looks like a fun one to land. :p

Looking very nice though, can't wait for release. :)

Great video, I LOVE TIE-Fighters!

I have one request/idea/question:

Is it possible to make the "rudder" working at 100% even at highest speeds, so you can fly a wide curve just with the rudder?

It would look less like a plane.

EDIT: Found a video to show what I mean:

Take a look at 0.50min

Thanks for your work, can't wait to FLY the TIE!

MfG Lee

Edited by Lee_H._Oswald

I'm still messing with the flight model the Tie's fly like nothing else in arma at the moment, plenty of tweaking to be done in that area still.

I'm trying to find a fine balance between movement and stability, I want them to handle really well and still be stable enough if/when people want to attack static ground objects.

The way the set is now, I've been able to do straffing runs upside down and pull out without too much trouble :)

This is the largest conversion project I've done so far I have as many Ties to complete as I had in all the jets I converted for Arma1.

I've made massive progress on the weapons systems.

Ideas for weapons I've had:

Standard Laser

Laser Missiles

1 Use missile (Air to Air and Air toground)

ION Cannon (Still need to work out how to implement this)

Freefall Bombs from Tie bombers

Edited by Eble