Sign in to follow this  
cole

VaporTrails

=========

DESCRIPTION:

=========

This AddOn enables the vapor trails script for aircraft, which is in your game by default, just not activated.

Yes, it can be done via ingame scripting too, but this AddOn is made for those who don't know how to enable it ingame,

are too lazy or want to have the vapor trails in a mission without actually editing the mission files.

Please note that 1.0 requires CBA!

=======

FEATURES:

=======

- Vapor trails for all vanilla planes.

- The AddOn is signed (server key is included in the download).

==========

INSTALLATION:

==========

Put the @VaporTrails folder into your ArmA2 directory ( C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2 ),

then add -mod=@VaporTrails to your ArmA2 shortcut ( "C:\Program Files\Bohemia Interactive\ArmA 2\arma2.exe" -mod=@VaporTrails )

Or just put it in any other modfolder you like!

===============

BUGS/KNOWN ISSUES:

===============

- None? :)

========

CHANGELOG:

========

- 1.0 --- New config with XEH support and numerous improvements by zGuba, signatures for safe MP play.

- 0.99b - Initial release

===============

CREDITS AND THANKS :

===============

- Bohemia Interactive: ARMA II, Tools, the script I activated via this AddOn.

- zGuba and Apouh for better configs!

- Armed Assault Info for the readme generator :)

=========

DISCLAIMER :

=========

I take no responsibility for (im)possible damage to your game/system that may be caused

by installation of this AddOn. This AddOn is also prohibited to be used in any commercial product.

This readme has been made by using the ArmedAssault.info Readme Generator.

Check ArmedAssault.info to get the latest ArmA news!

Also, please note that you're absolutely welcome to edit, change and improve the config!

0.99b config.cpp here.

(1.0 config by zGuba is on the bottom of this page)

Edited by Cole
mirrors mirrors mirrors.

You could get it working for the su34 and the A10 if you added their classes to your config and manually added your eventhandler. The Su34 and A10 are different from all other arma2 units because they don't inherit the 'defaulteventhandlers' but have the same code posted manually in their eventhandler section.

Extended EventHandler support would probably be prefered I guess, so that it doesn't collide with other eventhandler-manipulating addons.

Nice idea though! We like vapour trails!

thats a cool addon!

but it wont work, if you use it together with "rksl system".

Ahhh a shame. XEH support is needed.

Fully compatible cba and with all the planes.

I think you have your v1.0 ;)

class CfgPatches {

class VaporTrails {

units[] = {};
               weapons[] = {};
               requiredVersion = 1.0;
               requiredAddons[] = {"CAAir","Extended_EventHandlers"};
       };
};

class Extended_Init_EventHandlers
{
       class Air;
       class Plane : Air {
	VaporTrails_Init_Plane="_this execVM ""CA\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\misc\aircraftvapour.sqf""";
       };
};

Edited by Apouh

Fully compatible cba and with all the planes.

I think you have your v1.0 ;)

This could be even better :)

class CfgPatches {
class VapourTrails {
	units[] = {};
	weapons[] = {};
	requiredVersion = 1.0;
	requiredAddons[] = {"Extended_EventHandlers"};
};
};

class Extended_PreInit_EventHandlers
{
VapourTrails_PreInit = "VapourTrails = compile preprocessFileLineNumbers 'CA\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\misc\aircraftvapour.sqf'";
};

class Extended_Init_EventHandlers {

class Plane
{
	VapourTrails_Init_Plane = "_this spawn VapourTrails;";
};
};

Should work fine and fluently.

I was thinking XEH support was probably needed, but I'm a real amateur in config making, so please excuse the bugs and flaws that are currently present in the release.

Thank you for your tips and suggestions, I'll update the addon tomorrow and if I can get everything working alright, I'll also sign it. :)

btw I'm writing this from my phone, so I apologize for the lack of proper text formating and stuff like that.

Gotta love this community. One digs up a gem and brings it into the sunlight, another cuts it to make it sparkle, and yet another polishes it to a shine. Thanks guys!

Nice one, Cole! :)

Can you explaim to me how to enable it on the editor ?

Try this (plane's init-line):

_xtype = [this,1] execvm "CA\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\misc\aircraftvapour.sqf";

(untested)

*edit*

Oh, by the way. Any problems if you run this addon with a "VaporTrail-enabled" plane (script's running twice on a plane)?

MfG, Medicus

Edited by MEDICUS

Alright, looks like the community has made this addon into much more in just a little bit. OP, mind re-releasing the addon with the community-made improvements?

Gotta love this community. One digs up a gem and brings it into the sunlight, another cuts it to make it sparkle, and yet another polishes it to a shine. Thanks guys!

:)

@ juggernaut

He said tomorrow and if he can't do this alone we cut and polish his gem :D

qft

Nice one, Cole! :)

Try this (plane's init-line):

_xtype = [this,1] execvm "CA\Data\ParticleEffects\SCRIPTS\misc\aircraftvapour.sqf";

(untested)

MfG, Medicus

works

thanks

So someone finally unlocked this :)

Just a few issues I think you should know about:

* Performance. This involves plenty of calculations constantly running on each plane to work out their AoA and adjust the effect. And it's done through sqf scripts. This could introduce some script lag because of all the scripts running when you have many planes in a mission. Although it shouldn't do much harm to your FPS.

* Potential bugs. I recall reports of the script bugging out when loading a savegame. Not sure if this is still an issue.

Don't think it has any other bugs.

So someone finally unlocked this :)

Just a few issues I think you should know about:

* Performance. This involves plenty of calculations constantly running on each plane to work out their AoA and adjust the effect. And it's done through sqf scripts. This could introduce some script lag because of all the scripts running when you have many planes in a mission. Although it shouldn't do much harm to your FPS.

* Potential bugs. I recall reports of the script bugging out when loading a savegame. Not sure if this is still an issue.

Don't think it has any other bugs.

Thanks for the original script maddmatt - I found this script a fair while back and help Myke put it on the F16 addon.

I was hoping BIS would 'activate' the script down the track in a future patch.

I should mention that in some cases this addon will not work with player made content unless it follows some guidelines:

for the wing tip trails you need have these points named in the addon on the wing tips.

//hint "wings";

_trail1 = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal getpos _v;

_trail1 attachto [_v,[0,0,0],"cerveny pozicni"];

_trail1 setParticleRandom [0.2, [0.05, 0.05, 0.05], [0, 0, 0], 0, 0, [0, 0, 0, 0], 0, 0];

_trail2 = "#particlesource" createVehicleLocal getpos _v;

_trail2 attachto [_v,[0,0,0],"zeleny pozicni"];

_trail2 setParticleRandom [0.2, [0.05, 0.05, 0.05], [0, 0, 0], 0, 0, [0, 0, 0, 0], 0, 0];

Also for the body vapour effect you need these points adding:

_body_vapour_L_S = [-1,3,0];

_body_vapour_L_E = [-5,2,0];

_body_vapour_R_S = [1,3,0];

_body_vapour_R_E = [5,2,0];

Also the old sonic boom effect from Arma1 works fine in Arma2 :)

Cheers

Southy

Edited by Eble

You also need the Function Module in the mission itself as BIS_fnc_getPitchBank is called, right?

We are entering a dangerous world, my friends. Maybe call "(getPos _v) nearObjects ["#particlesource", 5];" and see if it returns anything before applying script to plane? Of course it takes ~0.4 sec to create and attach.

We might have missions loading this stuff on as well as people with addons, etc.

Edited by Doolittle

You also need the Function Module in the mission itself as BIS_fnc_getPitchBank is called, right?

No, that's old code and it's commented out :)

No modules are required.