Sign in to follow this  
icebreakr

Isla Terra

Isla Terra

I've started a new island project as MaxRiga pointed out that we're missing a real world map, of course: made in a miniature version suitable for infantry combat with support of choppers and aircraft ;)

Map will feature a realistic height data of world:

svet.jpg

and I'll try to crate Africa/South Asia as a desert, South America is a jungle and other places similiar/close to a real world vegetation.

I'll keep you updated with shots and hopefully a alpha version soon. Map will be made for A2 only and will feature towns and villages in positions where real biggest cities are located.

So far its plan to use default vanilla BIS objects/vegetation only so we can have some nice "superpowers" scenarios up & running soon ;)

Wow, nice and ambitious project :p

What dimension did you choose for this map ?

Edited by GI-JOE

Will we finally be able to play Risk? :D

Looking forward to more info.

lol would love to actually invade a country properly in arma, this looks really cool, hope all goes well for you.

I can give you the Greyscale map I used for Australia If you want too use that and incorporate it into your large Map

Will it have world-famous landmarks on it?

Abs

Will it have world-famous landmarks on it?

Abs

If it does, I hope its in proper scale too. For example, to annoy the French you simply step on the Eiffel Tower.

Initial release won't feature custom objects. Currently I'm working on a proper size of this map. I don't wait it to be too huge but also not too small. I'm thinking about size similiar to Full Sahrani? Its also a problem that terrain must be put into rectagonal area (x meters * x meters).

I think having Africa would be a great map. World map might be an issue moving across the atlantic .. given the increasing prices of airfares! :)

Good work.

Oh Shi-

Can you imagine the Possibilities with this map?!

I think this might spawn a new popular online mission (like domination), I think modders would want to start making armies to represent their countries to be used in this map/new online mode. Considering the fact that Domination sometimes take up to about 5 hours, this map could spawn a mission that could go on for days and maybe the objective would be world Domination. Countries fighting for each little bit of land and the defenders holding them back as best as they can. A bit like warfare only a lot more enthusiastic for the players that are defending their own actual countries on this map.

I also think there should be set alliances (e.g UK & US) but you can't see the other nations units on the map (you can see your nations units at all times) So it forces you to check your fire, and when you look at the map and you see a group of your guys, you will automatically want to get with them and support them so it almost makes "automatic squads" if you like, so that the nations units don't get too mixed and out of place. This will also force allied nations armies to communicate with each other to make sure that there are no friendly fire incidents. (and if something like that does happen, then a punishment has to be given, a bit like the Banana phone punishment on some servers) Oh and longer respawn times so it makes people want to fight that little bit harder and care more about getting killed, because IMO, getting killed in most online missions is a joke to me, sometimes no respawn time, and if there is one it only something like 20 seconds... if that.

It just doesn't seem to me that many people actually THINK about tactics when I'm playing online, and that's because that they know that dying in this game is hardly a punishment at all for being stupid and trying to be Rambo.

Edited by Dmahon

wow great idea. I will port warfare to this def. What about putting all the major armies of the world on it scaled down to there actual army strengths and fighting for the planet!!!!! (once the units have been created by addon makers). Heh all we need are working aircraft carriers and subs etc it will be brilliant.

Edited by colligpip

Ambitious project. Would make it worth for a lot of scenarios. Looking forward to see more detail and information about it

Initial release won't feature custom objects. Currently I'm working on a proper size of this map. I don't wait it to be too huge but also not too small. I'm thinking about size similiar to Full Sahrani? Its also a problem that terrain must be put into rectagonal area (x meters * x meters).

I would go a lot bigger than the Full Sahrani Map. We know that ArmA/ArmA 2 engine supports it, and would somewhat solve the 2^2 constrain as wel

Very nice island! Please create 1 : 1 in size lol :D Just kidding :) I guess this island could be the base for a new multiplayer modus?! World Domination :D

I'm not sure about scaling it to actual army strengths, I think that would make things unfair and unbalanced for those who are from countries who's military strength isn't that great IRL, say for example a guy from Uzbekistan wanted to play... what chance does he stand if all he has is a crossbow and a goat to invade other countries with? (I know nothing about Uzbekistan or their military power, it's just the name of the country I'm using, not the actual statistics, so don't stamp a big "RACIST" badge on my forehead)

So my suggestion would be that all the countries being played start off with equal resources and equipment, so that at the end of the day it comes down to whoever is the better player/s.

Edited by Dmahon

This map DOES need to be large!

Bigger than Chernarus, much bigger!

Great idea however !

Weird. From what I understand he plans to downscale it for obvious reasons.

Now you want to tell him he needs to make it actual scale or at least huge?!

I'm not sure about scaling it to actual army strengths, I think that would make things unfair and unbalanced for those who are from countries who's military strength isn't that great IRL, say for example a guy from Uzbekistan wanted to play... what chance does he stand if all he has is a crossbow and a goat to invade other countries with? (I know nothing about Uzbekistan or their military power, it's just the name of the country I'm using, not the actual statistics, so don't stamp a big "RACIST" badge on my forehead)

So my suggestion would be that all the countries being played start off with equal resources and equipment, so that at the end of the day it comes down to whoever is the better player/s.

What the hell are you on about? what does your mission type idea has to do with an ISLAND addon?

@kju:

not really sure what you mean.

on one hand, making it bigger has it's disadvantages. I do agree with that. On the other hand, making it the size of Sahrani would mean that a "country" would be actually not bigger than the size of a village. And that is an average country.

In the end it is IceBreaker's call, based on what he wants to achieve with his island. No one actually knows what is the scope set for his island but Ice.

Don't forget to play with the terrain features. Desert in northern africa, jungles in south america, ice in the far north etc. And you could probably put small villages or towns to represent the world's capital cities.