yakavetta

31st MEU Replacement Reticles and Realistic Ballistics

31stmeu21219983687.jpg

Version 2.0

Now ACE 2 Compliant!

To read the changes from v1.3 to now, read this post:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showpost.php?p=1490145&postcount=58

**Introduction**

The purpose of this reticle pack is to properly calibrate the rifle reticles within ArmA 2, to allow for range estimation and to transform the task of long-distance shooting from nothing more than pressing space bar or just a guessing game, into an exercise in range estimation and bullet drop compensation. This pack also includes more realistic zero's and accurate ballistics, created by NonWonderDog.

This will be a niche mod, for those who understand long range shooting and who know how to use mils to range estimate. I have no qualms about that, it's going to be a small percentage of people. But for those who do, this mod will make the task of range estimation MUCH easier, and more realistic.

This pack accurately displays milliradian distances between the mil-dot and hash marks on the reticles. While our unit is not affiliated with the real 31st MEU, a lot of us are Military, Law Enforcement, or in some form of public service. Some of us have specialized training in real life, including sniper training. This pack is for those of us who want to be able to use ArmA 2 for more than just a game. I also created this pack to allow for more effective and popular reticles to be used, in addition to the mil-dot system. And frankly...I wanted my rifle reticle in the game.

I HIGHLY recommend using this mod with the GMJ's Sight Adjustment. If you want to range estimate, what's the point without being able to adjust your scope? I have included updated range cards for GMJ's sight adjustment as well. The range cards include with this pack include data for the M24/M40, Mk12 SPR, DMR, M107, SVD, KVSK, VSS Vintorez, M16, and AK 74 PSO.

**Credits**

NonWonderDog – 90% of this mod is his work. I take no credit for the work he has done. This mod was originally an Armed Assault mod, which I then tweaked to create the first version of the 31st MEU Replacement Reticle pack. I have since ported this reticle pack to ArmA 2. I would not have been able to do this had it not been for his work, and permission.

Yakavetta – That's me. I did most of the leg work on this, outside of NWD's already amazing work. I did the reticle calibrations and creation, as well as some minor config.bin changes to make it compliant with ArmA 2. I also combined NWD's Ballistics mod for ArmA one with this mod, to make it more realistic.

Susnir – Beta testing and feedback. He helped identify some show-stopping bugs, and got me to fix them prior to releasing this mod.

Bowman – Beta testing and feedback. He helped identify a minor bug which caused an error message to display on launch, and helped me tweak my config file to be able to launch without an error. Of course we're no longer friends since he made me rewrite the entire config! He also helped me tweak the zero's and range cards for every weapon. He spent a LOT of time helping me perfect this.

Mabes, Adair, Binkowski – All beta testers, and all helped get this mod out the door.

**Installation Notes**

Three simple steps: Extract, Select, Instruct:

1)To install this package, extract all of the contents to your ArmA 2 directory, so you have all of the above .7z files in that directory. For people who bought it over Steam, that will most likely be c:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\ArmA 2\. For everyone else, you need to navigate to your ArmA 2 directory and copy all of the .7z files into the root directory.

You will need to use your favorite unzip program which supports .7z. Winrar will work just fine for those who use Winrar.

2)Next select which .7z file you want. You can read about what each .7z package modifies on the next page. You can only use one .7z at a time. If you extract one, and then later decide you want to use a different one, simply extract the one you want and over-write the files you previously extracted. Once you've completed the next step, you wont have to do that again. All you will have to do to change which reticle pack you use is simply unzip the pack in your ArmA 2 folder, and let it overwrite the previous pack you are using.

3)Finally, you need to instruct ArmA 2 to actually use this mod folder. There are three ways to do this:

For Steam users, open steam. Click on the “My Games†tab of Steam. Rick-click “ArmA 2†and click “Properties.†Click on the “Set Launch Options†button. Type “-mod=@31st_MEU_Replacement_Reticles†If you've already got another mod in there, then simply add the @31st_MEU_Replacement_Reticles to your initilization string, so it should look similar to this: “-mod=@mod1;@mod2;@mod3:@31st_MEU_Replacement_Reticlesâ€

For non-Steam users who use the shortcut method. First, if you don't have a shortcut to ArmA 2, create a shortcut to your ArmA2.exe. Next, right-click that shortcut, and click on “properties.†In the “Target†line, you should see something like “C:\Program Files\Publisher\ArmA 2\ArmA2.exe†After the last quotation mark, add a space and then type

“-mod=@31st_MEU_Replacement_Reticles†If you've already got another mod in there, then simply add the @31st_MEU_Replacement_Reticles to your initilization string, so it should look similar to this: “-mod=@mod1;@mod2;@mod3:@31st_MEU_Replacement_Reticlesâ€

For people who use an ArmA 2 launcher, make sure you add this addon to your ArmA 2 launcher's list of addons. Then launch ArmA 2!

Non-ACE Users: If you are not using ACE 2, you will need to navigate to “ArmA 2\userconfig\31stMEU\†and open the .hpp file. You will need to change “#define RETICLE_ACE†to “//#define RETICLE_ACEâ€

NOTE: If you are using GMJ's Sight Adjustment, simply extract the “Range Cards.7z†into your @GMJ_SightAdjustment\Addons folder. It will overwrite the old range cards.

**Contact**

If you need to contact me about this release, I can easily be contacted on www.31stmeu.org. If you have any questions that you can't ask on that forum, you can send a private message to “Yakavetta†on 31stmeu.org or to “BigDaddy5†on the Bohemia forums.

**Permissions**

If you would like to use my work, I have no problem with that. I ask that give credit where it is due. If you want to use NonWonderDog's work, you have to ask him. I have not asked for permission to give out his work. He allowed me to use his work for my mod pack, so if you want to use his mod pack, you need to ask him. The reticles I listed above, however, I designed and am free to distribute. I just ask that you give me credit when you do, and include a link to www.31stmeu.org.

Due to the nature of this mod, I can not give out permission to use the ballistics. While some of the ballistics I redid, a lot of them are still NWD's. So in order to use the ballistics for any other mods, you would need to obtain NWD's permission as well.

Thanks, and I hope you find this pack as useful as I do!

**Download**

Armaholic mirror:

- 31st MEU Replacement Reticles and Realistic Ballistics v2.0

Download Link

Or if that doesn't work, try here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/bu08z9

Edited by Yakavetta

**Package Contents**

Pack Contents:

This mod contains multiple .7z files, along with this readme. You should have the following files:

31st MEU Scout-Sniper Recommended #1.7z

In this pack, the M24 and M40 both have TMR reticles. The Mk12 SPR, DMR, CZ550, and M107 all have 2nd Generation Mil Dots.

31st MEU Scout-Sniper Recommended #2.7z

In this pack, the M24 and M40 both have 2nd Generation Mil Dots. The Mk12 SPR, DMR, CZ550, and M107 all have a TMR reticle.

31st MEU Scout-Sniper Recommended #3.7z

In this pack, the M24 and M40 both have TMR reticles. The Mk12 SPR, DMR, and CZ550 all have SPR Reticles, and the M107 has a 2nd Generation Mil Dot reticle.

Range Cards.7z

31stmeu.bikey

Readme.pdf

BDC.7z

arma22009080515352789.th.png

Circle-X.7z

arma22009080515582092.th.png

Crosshair.7z

arma22009080516224893.th.png

Default NWD Mil-Dot Reticles.7z

arma22009080516402923.th.png

Duplex.7z

arma22009080516461851.th.png

**Other Reticles Replaced in this pack**

ACOG's

arma22009080800112364.th.png

arma22009080800105409.th.png

PSO's

arma22009080509110484.th.png

arma22009080509114304.th.png

Binoculars and Laser Range Finder

Yes!!!, finally accurate reticles. thank you so much.

And having TMR and Gen2 mildot is a dream come true.

Hi, i just learned about mildots and proper implementation a lil while ago. Is there any good online reading about proper use of some of these new systems? or is it included in this mod? i'm not totally familiar with some of these next gen sighting systems.

EDIT: never mind i found everything i need..thnx for the mod release, i have yet to try it but love realistic addons like this one. If you guys play tactically like this on your server i would be most interested in checking it out..

also found this pretty sweet Manuel from Leupold explaining the TMR system http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&ct=res&cd=2&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww2.leupold.com%2Fresources%2Fdownloads%2F2007_Leupold_TMR_Manual.pdf&ei=EiKFSvmyHJPQtgOVifSiBw&usg=AFQjCNE7actA_p36oPZoG1EFqoFQFQmA4w&sig2=tHmIBgk-msej2SFB4ay24g

Edited by skopro

Is it just me or the dots in the gen2 mil dot reticle is way too big?

and another small question, any chance to see illuminated reticles?

thanks.

Illuminated reticles are possible. Right now, though, I am unable to do it. The .p3d files are binarized from NWD's original scope fix. I have contacted him to attempt to get the raw file so I can edit it.

The original 31st MEU pack had illuminated reticles, but when I ported it over to ArmA 2, the illumination was reversed...meaning they were illuminated during the day time and dark at night. So I just made them dark all the time for now, until I can get my hands on the unbinarized p3d files.

Oh, and the Gen 2 Mil Dot is big on the M107, because of the high zoom level on it. Try it on the M24/M40/Mk12/M21, it's a more typical size.

Edited by Yakavetta

i tested the m40 gen2 and it is also of:

gen2.jpg

i measured the sizes using mspaint:

A = 9 pixels.

B = 26 pixels.

from what i know the dot should be 0.2 the size of a mil.

I'll upload a new version in a sec, with that fixed.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:36 AM ----------

Ok, version has been updated to reflect the changes in the mil dot gen 2 reticle. Redownload if you haven't already!

Edited by Yakavetta

Awesome work, thanks for this !

ps: the read me says the VSS Vintorez is zeroed at 100 meters instead of 300 meters.

I would only like to say that Arma 2 just had its fun factor increased exponentially. This in combination with GMJ Sight adjustment and the bullet cam script turns the game into an uber sniping sim....well, someone still needs to add some wind into the game, but everything in its own time I guess.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!

As Jedo pointed out above all we need is some windage ;)

/KC

Are the files like German 7z replacing the reticle for every weapon ingame with the same ? I am conufsed @.@

This weapon pack focuses mostly on the Mk12, M24, M40, M107, DMR, and CZ550 rifles. The pack does overwrite the SVD, AK, and ACOG reticles, but only with NonWonderDog's default reticles, as they are more accurate than the default Bis ones. This means when you use a reticle pack, you will only change the reticles on the Mk12, M24, M40, M107, DMR and CZ550 rifles. The SVD, AK and ACOG reticles WILL be changed, but ONLY from the default ones. They will NOT change with each pack.

Make sure to read the readme, it's all in there.

That's a good question. As of right now, no, I don't have any plans for oval mil-dots. However now that you mention it, I'll probably play around with them and see if I like how they look. No promises, though, but I'll at least consider it.

As for the ACOG, I may or may not play with that. I didn't really do much with the current ACOG reticles other than use NWD's ACOG reticles.

Ok, thanks for the response. Glad that you'll take a look at it. :)

Found a bug:

M4A1 Holo SD is not silenced anymore when using this addon (if I remember correctly I'm using 31st MEU Scout-Sniper Recommended #1 pack).