Sign in to follow this  
galzohar

Co06 Clear The Way

Mission description:

Insurgents have blocked the main roads in Chernogorsk. You are to clear them out. You are only a small team, but are given artillery support to handle any major threats and fortifications. Exact locations of roadblocks and patrols are unknown.

Play on expert for extra challenge in guiding the mortars (as well as the usual challenges of expert difficulty).

Features:

- 5 roadblocks with 3 possible locations for each.

- 4 artillery strikes to take care of the tank-supported roadblocks.

- Random patrols around the roadblocks and around the city itself, with randomly placed waypoints.

- Randomness resulting in decent replayability and no ability to "learn" the mission.

Known issues:

- Machinegunners in bunkers tend to rotate in a way that makes them clip with the bunker. Probably a game bug that will hopefully get fixed someday.

Filefactory (1.23):

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a2c15g5/n/Co06_Clear_The_Way_v1-23.Chernarus.pbo

Armaholic (1.23):

Clear The Way Co-06 v1.10

armedassault.info (1.23):

http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?game=1&cat=multi&id=130

Edited by galzohar

After testing it some more I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the mission difficulty. Playing with a team of 4 (mission is intended for 6) it took us many attempts to complete it, but it's definitely doable.

Keep in mind I'm not sure how the secops artillery works on dedicated, but it does work well enough on hosted (only the dialogs are missing), and it is only a 6-man mission after all.

I dl'd this one the other day, but haven't gotten to it yet. I'll be sure to post some feedback. Thanks in advance for posting it.

- Artillery communication dialog does not work. You can still call artillery normally but there will be no chat between the player and the HQ, so you figure out when they want you to give them the target. Clicking on the map once every few seconds after requesting the artillery will work properly.

3 of us tried this last night, all took turns as leader. No one was able to call in artillary. Tried it alone just previous to posting, same deal.

Nice little mission though, M136 worked fine.

Was this on dedicated or hosted? I think the secops simply fails on dedicated. Had it work on more than 1 computer as hosted, but again without the dialog so you need to figure out yourself when to click on the map (and just in case may want to have the map open before you even open your communication menu).

Hopefully I will figure out how to use some existing user-made artillery interfaces that work well in MP to replace the secops module. It shouldn't be all that hard.

Massive update 1.1:

Mostly fixed the artillery - no longer using secops, so will work even when leader dies and should not bug in multiplayer anymore. Also made some minor fixes such as one class not having a GPS at spawn and removed the first aid: action module (leaving simulation and battlefield clearance, as it should be).

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah59a08/n/Co06_Clear_The_Way_v1-10_Chernarus_pbo

Edited by galzohar

Fixed the "known issues" in the OP.

Edit: Fixed "known issues" again.

Edited by galzohar

Updated to version 1.11 and updated the "known issues" accordingly.

- Fixed artillery markers.

- Fixed mission title typo.

- Removed a motorcycle that wasn't supposed to be there.

- Fixed an issue with a bunker that was appearing regardless of a roadblock being present.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah6dhd4/n/Co06_Clear_The_Way_v1-11_Chernarus_pbo

---------- Post added at 09:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:48 PM ----------

Version 1.12: Fixed critical issue with the artillery introduced in 1.11.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/ah6d2bd/n/Co06_Clear_The_Way_v1-12_Chernarus_pbo

It have been a while, but after learning a bunch of stuff about making missions, I decided to update this mission to make it work better.

Version 1.22:

- Significantly improved enemy waypoint randomness: Used to accidentally only use 2 random waypoints and the starting position, changed to only use multiple random waypoints).

- Fixed a minor bug with mortars: Calling the script as non-commander called the script for the commander - this no longer happens.

- Added keygetys spectator scripts.

- Implemented the F2 fix for proper mission ending.

Filefactory:

http://www.filefactory.com/file/a05f9db/n/Co06_Clear_The_Way_1-22_Chernarus_pbo

Edited by galzohar

Bravo on your mission, very well done and very enjoyable.

Keep em coming.

Excellent, very replayable scenario, rated it "Very Good" on Armaholic. I've only played it in SP so far and cannot figure out why my M136 will not work against either T-72s or the BMP. Do I need to take something else for AT?

At least in vanilla, you're supposed to use the mortars to destroy the roadblocks with the T-72s and then a good M136 shot on the BRDM will usually take care of it (you don't have to destroy it but rather just kill the crew). T-72s take at least 2 shots to disable and 3 to destroy most of the time (but again you only need to kill the crew to finish the mission).

In ACE, it changes with versions, so nothing I can really do about that. If there is enough demand I might make an ACE version once the ACE dust settles (so that I will know what can and can't destroy which armored vehicles and balance accordingly).

Good missions die slow! Still one of my group's favourite missions in fact. However there is one main issue in 1.23 I hope could be adressed: Some script or script call in the mission redefines the value of 'nil', thus breaking other stuff in for example CBA and ACE.

Edit: Appears it was just about every single script call in mission.sqm that was done wrong. Until a new version is released the fixed mission.sqf can be found here: http://www.gamefront.com/files/20131477/Co06_Clear_The_Way_v1-23_fixed-SQM.rar

Edited by Inkompetent

Hmm, main reason I haven't bothered keeping this mission up to date (and fixing the nil bug which can be found in very very old missions of mine) is because lots of stuff seem to break the BIS arty stuff making it not work as intended for this mission. Feel free to use the fix, though - As said all you need is to replace all nil= with something like hNil= or whatever.

nice little mission, though shame you don't want to fix the Nil issue

Would have been nice to have params option with regards the grass being turned off, no grass reminds me of OFP :rolleyes::)

Can you guys confirm that neither Zeus AI nor ACE break the artillery part of the mission? If the artillery works as intended I'll fix the rest of the stuff. But if there are still problems with the artillery when used with Zeus AI and/or ACE then that is something I can't fix, so even fixing the other issues won't make this mission what it was supposed to be :(

Have mostly played the mission in ordinary ArmA2 since most of my friends don't have A2CO, and thus I've mostly tested it with ACE 1.3, but with that it works like a charm. Just tried it quickly in A2CO with newest ACE release, and it works there as well.

I don't use ZeusAI though, so can't say how it works with that.

How is the arty intended to work though? Ordinary arty module barrage with some dispersion, or something special on top of that?

Back when I made the mission, the barrage was pretty accurate, and would almost always neutralize the tank. Later on when I tried it it was no longer working - Arty wasn't hitting as accurately and not dealing as much damage to the tank. But then again with ACE armor system you can also carry 2X the AT-4s to deal with them.

Ahh, yeah. Hell, we've had a HARD time hitting those tanks actually. The arty is accurate. That's not a problem. Just very hard to get the exact position without using enemy markers on the map ^^

Indeed the amount of AT4s do compensate for it though, despite the T-72 armour... well... actually working against the mortars.

Could possibly try to change it to SADARM-rounds and laser designator?

Ahh, yeah. Hell, we've had a HARD time hitting those tanks actually. The arty is accurate. That's not a problem. Just very hard to get the exact position without using enemy markers on the map ^^

That was actually the intended concept for the mission, so at least that still works ;)

Maybe I'll fix it up and possibly change the armor to something more manageable when I have the time. IIRC that is the first mission I ever released so there would be quite a few things that need fixing up.