Sign in to follow this  
OChristie

Baucau Airfield, East Timor - Terrain for ArmA 2

header.jpg

Baucau Airfield, East Timor - Terrain for ArmA/ArmA2/VBS2

Version: 0.99

INFORMATION

===========

Hello Folks, Recently I was inspired by various videos, screenshots other material to act on a passion that I have for Mapping a Tropical Location. Now some of you may think, 'Why not Map Carribean or Africa etc', and you are right, but, mapping a large area of East Timor fits the profile. So I though, GREAT. I set out trying to aquire data for East Timor some months ago, but to no avail as Google Earth's Sat Image is shite. Also finding elevation Data for anywhere other than the US in decent quality is extremely hard to find unless you want to spend ALOT of money.

So I used:

Standard: QuickBird Imagery of Baucau, East Timor

Resolution: 0.6m (2' Foot) Pan-Sharpened Color

Distance Covered: 25km2

I have now spent 2 weeks straight on developing this map to a stage where I feel it looks and feels good :)

MEDIA

=======

Full Flickr Album full of 26 High quality JPEG's of this map. Use when and where you want, remember to credit me.

Baucau Airfield, East Timor on Flickr - Album Link

IRo_O7xtFmU

CHANGE LIST

===========

-V0.99

-Initial Release

INSTALLATION

============

Right, the tricky part.

-ArmA

--Place in ArmA\Addons\ Directory.

--Run Game.

-ArmA 2

--Follow these Instructions:

Go to your ArmA 1 directory and find the following files and move them to a modfolder in your ArmA 2 Directory:

Modfolder:

@ArmA1\addons

buildings.pbo/plants.pbo/roads.pbo/rocks.pbo/misc.pbo

Rename all by putting CA infront, eg: CArocks.pbo

Create a shortcut for Arma 2, add the line -mod=@ArmA1

This should work fine, but, if it doesnt then use the above method combined with this one:

--Developer's Heaven - ArmA 1 Stuff in ArmA 2

* Install Yoma Addon Sync.

* Add the CAA1 Yoma Addon Sync Server:

Auto config URL:

http://caa1.arma-creations.com/yas/caa1/caa1.7z

or by adding the server via the caa1.yas file.

* Download all files.

* Load the modfolder via -mod=x\caa1;x\oac\oac_core;

--Then just place the terrain PBO in the ArmA2 Addons Main Directory

After doing all of the above the Map will work fine. I hope you enjoy as this is the first proper terrain release for ArmA 2 by myself.

DOWNLOAD ~273mb

================

Mirror 1 - OCH Studios

Mirror 2 - ePrison.de

Mirror 3 - Armaholic

Please leave feedback and lots of pictures and missions are welcome.

Have fun.

OChristie

Edited by OChristie

a very nice start.

i found a small shadow bug with the "Airoporto Bacau" sign (in the screen above) wich i hope you can solve..

and there are some heavy performance loss inside the base (think the vegetation isnt optimised for ArmA2 probably wanna change the vegetation later if you can find a good replacement)

but the general feel of the map so far is really great.

could probably need a few small atmosphere details to make it look "lived in" and not "just built last week" kinda look as it have now.

but all that is the final touches so wont nag about it more now.

now i only hope you´ll continue the work and place more houses, maybe a few small villages, ponds, a coastal area with some fishing villages and stuff..

just generally expanding everything.

great job so far!

From the vid and pictures this does indeed look to be a very nice island but...

Too many arma addons are needed. Quite a few people playing arma2 will not even own a copy of arma or like me have taken it off their machines and CBA reinstalling and patching too 1.14 or whatever just for the needed pbo's.

Untill you can DL said pbo's alongside this, it feels to me more a novelty rather than a full blown release (much like using afghan/avgani) and kind of goes against this statement.

ArmA 2 - ADDONS & MODS: COMPLETE This forum is for the release and subsequent discussion of addons/mods.

Only addons/mods which have content freely available for download should have threads in here.

Addons that are released in alpha/beta/final state are covered by this "Complete" forum.

It's a shame too, as I said it does look to be very very good and would give us a new terrain to mess about with but it can't really be considered an A2 island with so many dependencies of arma 1 files which can't be dl'd by everyone.

WT

To be honest, it depends how you look at it. Using method 2 people without arma are still able to play this map in arma2. There are ways around this problem

Thank you so much for this addon

Maybe you can help

I'm getting this error: Cannot load texture

........................drevoletar_detail.paa

Cheers

@the_shadow

I am still learning how to model, so the Sign will be fixed in the v1.0 release.

@fideco

Hmm, that is a texture missing if you could screenshot it I will be able to help you more :)

@Stavanger

Thanks pal :)

I'm not touching it till the CAA1 is fully released but it sounds like a great mod!

Looks amazing!

Can we get some brown people to populate the villages? without the retarded bright shirts of ARMA?

It would be great to have Australia vs Indonesia/militias, I would love to make a campaign like that (in an alternate reality where Australia's government doesn't overlook genocide to help trade/oil/gas deals, and has the balls to intervene)

nice island but i will not be downloading it as i uninstall Arma1 so if you get time to do a full Arma 2 version with out the files from Arma1 or pack the files we need to play this map great , but keep up the good work

Hi folks,

It's a good-looking island, and I was wondering if there is absolutely no way of installing this addon if you don't have Arma1?

I will appreciate your feedback.

If you use method 2 of the Installation part of the initial post the map shouldrun fine

Well... too bad that this map requires arma1 addons. It looked quite fine. But I'll pass. If you decide to release a "real" version for Arma2 then i'll take it.

Still nice work !

As soon as I get hold of the ArmA 2 tools I will create this map for ArmA 2.

Thanks for the Mirror :)

Reading isn't among today's skills it seems. :)

Nice job from the look of it OChristie!

kju, it isn't self-evident that the second method will work for those who do not have Arma1.

OChristie, thanks for the feedback! :)

If one reads the actual main wiki page for CAA1 it is, no?

There is 192mb worth of unusable files in this pbo. Also the models in the Objects\ directory as well as the terrain WRP are not binarized. By removing the unused image files in the dirs, the pbo size goes down from 403mb to 210mb.

You have already been given help by telling how to improve your addon releases, so is there some particular reason for this addon being released as it is?

I would download but I do not own Arma 1, so no.

You still don't have to own ArmA 1. There is the second method that does not require files from ArmA 1. Go to the CAA1 site, it has everything available on it already.

Thank you so ever Freaking much! D/L'n now, keen to see what it looks like from the air. Just need some AusCam troops and Etc, etc.......

Man I tried it last night and it lagged worse than the cities of Chernarus during heavy traffic!

It also looks a bit... you know...