Sign in to follow this  
-ASA-ODEN

Oden Warfare

"[Dynamic ViewDistance] Increases ViewDistance at higher altitude every 10 seconds (each 100m altitide) to a maximum 10,000m VD at 500m altitude."

suggestion, do a benchmark to see how much the user can handle OR what I think better, user put the max dynamic view distance and then as you fly higher it increase, but doesnt affect "on ground" which should be locked..

Thanks [ASA]ODEN :)

We enjoyed your ArmA warfare and I'm sure these new ones will be played to death also. :D

I'm still looking for the perfect Warfare mod, so I tried this one out.

I like the idea of AI air support, however as implemented I found it a bit silly. The AI sends regular air attacks to the opposing HQ which are easily shot down by static AA. The most dangerous thing about being in your HQ now is all the enemy planes falling from the sky. I think some restrictions need to be set on the AI to prevent continual unrealistic suicide runs against static AA defenses.

Another thing is the fast travel. I can understand why you would to make it faster, but I find it's already jarring and disruptive to gameplay as it is. I mean, we are playing this game which is aspiring to be a realistic war simulator and you have the Starship Enterprise floating above beaming units down onto you.

Units magically appearing really takes away any semblance to reality. At least give us an anti-magic shield generator to oppose it, and maybe throw in a wand of fireballs for kicks too as long as we are on this road.

If anything I think fast travel needs to be removed and replaced with a better idea (an airlift of some kind for light units?), or the map needs to be smaller so it's not necessary.

If you're going to use dynamic view distance, may wanna find a way to make sure that you're not increasing it past the user setting.

Thanks for feedback guys.

ViewDistance might be a little much but effect of lag isnt as much at 500m altitude as it would be running on ground.

Nevertheless, as Warfare starts with VD of 1200 (increased to 1600 in this edit) I think most players have more than that so running dynamic up to player limit would be a good solution, thanks for that granQ and galzohar.

Fast Travel is another "problem" issue. As you state Binesi, the "Beam me up Scotty" feeling, isn't really adding to the reality department. But the original slow dot-by-dot FT isn't good either and I think the delay doesn't really add to gameplay.

My idea to make FT instant is that the fun gameplay is between two towns belonging to different sides, not waiting for building contructions nor waiting a minute or two looking at blue dots. I'd rather sepend those minutes sneaking around houses in a random town.

The FT issue bring me to me current concern though. Don't you guys feel the the sheer number of towns are way too high? As Binesi suggests, and I already been looking into, would it be better with manually put towns with camps (should be doable as far as I've seen) rather than this "map-controlled-automatic-town-generator" that comes with Warfare default?

I was thinking maybe half the towns or even one third? I think I've seen somewhere in the code one can make "sections" of the world active and that could allow for a random area to be populated with active towns, such as east coast, south coast or inland.

Regarding airsupport, all I do is adding a random piloted aircraft to them and off they go - can't really tell them where to fly, but I see your point and I actually had a Su-25 wreck smoking in my base too once (you guys noticed that the MARTA system show those AI units with air markers?). At least the number of planes should be limited to 2 a side (haven't really tested if that limitation works).

btw, there is still an issue with "factions flag" taking over a camp/town - at least playing on ded.server as I do. This thing used to work a few beta versions back :o (God I hate coding some days)

Do you guys feel the AI runs ok? I'm still not satisfied with their "speed" as invaders but God knows what I can to about that, I've already arranged them as staggered column (and column for armored units like mechanized units in default warfare, tanks actually go wedge in default and that gives problem sooner or later to one of them slowing the whole unit down).

Again, thanks for all feedback - there is a limited range of betatesting I can do (though my youngest son helps at times hehe) so all issues you guys find are welcome.

I'll be back with a 1.2 version any day.

I was thinking maybe half the towns or even one third? I think I've seen somewhere in the code one can make "sections" of the world active and that could allow for a random area to be populated with active towns, such as east coast, south coast or inland.

Options to start the mission at increments of say.........6/10/15.. ect towns would be nice for when we (I) want a long or short playtime.

Thats a very good idea BigBear, I'll try'n'squeeze that in with the current options.

currently I've managed to make a random 3rd of the map populated by using BIS_WF_InitRegionX markers. Inside those one could limit available towns.

Is the limited life "versions" for ded.server of any use? Maybe I should offer some presets for number of towns instead?

Currently I've redone dynamic ViewD to max at player viewdistance when above 100m - no more dynamic than that :)

I honestly start to question this feature from a "fair gameplay" side - but who said war is fair? haha.

Also selecting "All Map" will allow Fast Travel, else not.

Issue when player buying vehicle with only driver and gunner and a ghost gunner occupies the turret (in my case) has been solved (delay after action EJECT on gunner).

Static units will not Fast Travel with player (less common with current FT block, but anyway).

Trying to make ai stfu when they spawn and finding base defence.

Edit: Oh, did I mention with reduced towns I made the mission 32 players?

(maybe there's a risk it will kill any server running with all map option)

Was thinking of a non-ai version too for PvP mayhem - would that be interesting (nothing I play since I'm a coop player myself)?

Edited by [ASA]ODEN

Ahh thanks loved your version on arma. Also I like the fast travel I don't think its that unrealistic as troops would be bought to the front line by other units which would bog down the server if implemented ingame, so its best to bring them in with fast travel.

Its really confusing having mixed forces (Marines and Chdk, or whatever theyre called). I cant tell whos friendly, and whos enemy when I'm attacking a russian town (is that brdm russian, or friendly chdk?).

Give me a Marine vs Russian option, without the other 2 factions involved.

Also, getting CTD with fast travel.

Edited by Richardg

Nice to hear you like it colligpip. I hear you on the FT issue, will be hard to give everyone what they want I guess hehe.

I'll try and not make FT disappear totally, currently it's auto activated choosing "All Map" option (in 1.2), will that do for you or do you feel the need for a more open selection?

Richardg, that confusing situation was intended :)

But just as I have an addon version I can easily create a more "pure sided" setup too (suppose the swedes will complain on that too soon).

CTD on FT sounds more worrying, I haven't done much there but placing units near town depot and that is no rocket science coding - was it during normal Warfare or Invasion Warfare? I noticed with "All Map" setup as in 1.1 playing defender going FT have a terrible performance drop and after clicking a few destinations I did endup at the first selected, weird.

Normal warfare, one ctd so far, moving a whole squad with me. I'll let ya know if I see it again.

(thanks for da mission)

Updated first post with version 2 information.

Invasion now runs with all towns on Defender side initially and after Invader have captured half the towns normal Warfare rules apply.

Noticed there is no way to use artillery, will look into that for version 3 (and pure USMC/RU versions for the triggerhappy ppl :P).

ODEN;1379482']Thanks for feedback guys.

ViewDistance might be a little much but effect of lag isnt as much at 500m altitude as it would be running on ground.

Fast Travel is another "problem" issue. As you state Binesi' date=' the "Beam me up Scotty" feeling, isn't really adding to the reality department. But the original slow dot-by-dot FT isn't good either and I think the delay doesn't really add to gameplay.

[/quote']

Instant FT is not so good as you said because it's unrealistic. Why not remove it instead? In a A1 WF mission there was the possibility the call an MH-6 for INF transport ( call, click on map ). Of course you are prone to ambush and attacks otw to your target but thats literally the "nature of war".

You could call an unarmed UH-1 / Mi-17 for that purpose.

There is no instant reinforcment powder where you pour in some water and get a bunch of M1s :D

Waiting for reinforcements or beeing the one who is travelling should add a thrill to the game. Who knows if one will arrive in time or even arrive at all?

Instant FT is not so good as you said because it's unrealistic. Why not remove it instead? In a A1 WF mission there was the possibility the call an MH-6 for INF transport ( call, click on map ).

Now that's a good idea - possibly one that wouldn't take a lot of extra work being as spawned air units are already implemented?

It would have the added benefit of only being useful for infantry units. Therefore no more instant armor appearing in the middle of a city you are attacking. Instead we can have the more realistic and cool effect of paratroopers dropping in or nearby landings.

I finally had time to play a lil, which I picked Warfare/6 towns.

I really like the way it played. I did not use FT b/c I'm still enjoying and learning the beauty of the Island.

Once finding (or just getting close) to the enemy base, was a sweet experience. 1 of the enemy aircraft passed over me 3 times, at 1st I thought he didn't see me, but then he lined up for the kill.

Looking forward to more game time.

Best warfare I've played so far, BUT.....

The forced view distance is terrible. Vehicles and aircraft are popping into view at 500 meteres. (unacceptable for tank gunning, and spotting incoming aircraft).

Give us a "no view distance limiter" option. My rig handles 5000meter views just fine, and I play offline mostly.

I really like the ability to buy combat units at the town depots.

Edited by Richardg

Updated first post with Version 3 including Artillery feature based on BIS Artillery Module and an extracted and evolved version of 'Artillery System Oden' Module from @Oden.

Have Fun.

nice warfare mission!!!:notworthy: only the allmap version have a little lag in lan when i play alone on my rig. other big warfare missions works without lags. any idea??

Edited by TeilX

Awesome man, thanks for the improvements, especialy working arty! :bounce3:

Just noticed there is somekinda issue creating arty on dedicated server - I'll be back.

Edit: All missions updated regarding ARTY on dedicated server. No version numbering but pbo files should be 31st July.

Edited by [ASA]ODEN
Roffle

hey thanks for ur awesome work m8. im in URC and we have ur oden 3 running, prob with arty like u know(and appears uve sorted- great, its awesome) but just a few other things kicked up - some times buying units ta base or towns doesnt work, ppl have paid for stuff but never recieved. stuff included arty, mi7 medivac, and other ppl also reported it but not wot. also, when i started missions i chose the invasion west 18 towns (so should of been no grass) but there was grass m8. thanks

just seen in notes - buying from depot wont work if enemy nearby. only enemy nearby was a single soldier who refused to dissapear afte rbeing shot by EVERYTHING lol. there was at leats 1 in every town. 3 in novy sober, i get it in normal warfare 2, dunno if its just me?

Edited by Nemesis_wales
more info

ArmedAssault.info Mirror and News:

9866013.gif

9685857.gif

5326440.gif

4218493.gif

We have also added this release to your personal author profile

If a release or contact information is missing, feel free to drop a PM, it will then be added.

And here is the BBCode if you want to add our Mirror to your release post :

[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=multi&game=1&id=115][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/9866013.gif][/url]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=multi&game=1&id=117][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/9685857.gif][/url]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=multi&game=1&id=116][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/5326440.gif][/url]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=multi&game=1&id=118][img=http://www.armedassault.info/mirrorgen2/4218493.gif][/url]

If you prefer a text only BBCode please copy and paste the code below :

[b]ArmedAssault.info Mirror :[/b]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=115]DOWNLOAD - Oden Warfare (v.3.0) - [145 KB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=117]DOWNLOAD - Cold Oden Warfare (v.3.0) - [145 KB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=116]DOWNLOAD - Oden Warfare Pack (for Dedicated Server) (v.3.0) - [1,7 MB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url]
[url=http://www.armedassault.info/index.php?cat=addons&game=1&id=118]DOWNLOAD - Cold Oden Warfare Pack (for Dedicated Server) (v.3.0) - [1,7 MB] from ArmedAssault.info[/url][/spoiler]