Sign in to follow this  

so, has with arma 2, as many people have discovered, we have a nice attachto command (and as this command is able to use relative coordinates for attaching an object to another) , i've started modelling a LCAC transport.

once i'll have further advanced into the LCAC model, i'll maybe need some help (maybe some reference material better than the one we commonly find over the net) and a texturer (i'm no texturer myself)

tools used : Oxygen 2 and arma2 as buldozer.

update : lod 0 finished. i'll be needing a texturer for it

15327 points, 12205 faces. maybe it's a little high, but normally you won't see more than 3 lcac at the same time.

the deck is large enough to make 3 hmmwv fit side by side (used bis mlod hmmwv from arma 1 to have a size comparison).

lcactop.th.jpg

lcacdeck.th.jpg

lcacfront.th.jpg

lcacrear.th.jpg

lcacright.th.jpg

Edited by sgt_flyer

Last time I messed around with one of these was in VBS1. Would be a very good way to move equipment around. I will look for some ref, maybe some other stuff just send me a PM when your ready for some help on something. I have some time on my hands an would like to help if needed. Im sure there is alot more functional content that can be done to your LCAC.

lcac1.jpg

Edited by NZXSHADOWS

awesome :) Nice LCAC NZXSHADOWS! :)

LCACS would be awesome to use a alternative way of transport, and cool to have in reinforcement drops in Warefare for an example :D

Sure as hell looks more realistic with tanks being dropped off by one of these than a blackhawk :D

i've updated the first thread.

LCAC lod 0 finished, if a texturer want to texture it, just send me a message ;)

sorry, never learned on how to do the uv maps correctly, so if you have a tutorial or something like that that i'll be able to use to uv map it, i'd take it ;)

Very nice job you did there sgt_flyer.

I haven't checked out the model for accuraty, but it looks you did your homework.

As for the polycount, i must say i'm impressed aswell. After seeing the first pics you release of the propellors i was afraid a bit. I would say don't worry about the polycount. For its size and in some area's its detailed shaped, it is within the limites.

Something i'm wondering....

Due to its size (haven't check but i suppose it is somewhere around 40-50m?), i would even suggest to split the hull shape into 2 or even 3 parts so you will be able to split the hull into more uv pieces. Maybe you can get away with mapping it in 'tiles' though. But tiles always get very noticable and prevent you from adding details without getting the repeated view.

Anyway, good job!

As for the unwrapping.

I would personally say if you are new to unwrapping, you would better learn to unwrap your models into a more advanced modeling program then O2. O2 unwrap function is imho just to arcade and unfriendly to use. Also since O2 lack certain model reducing tools (to make your aditional resolution lods) it is better to port your model over into a program like Modo, 3dmax etc etc...

Not sure if it is a good idea to start to learn unwrapping with this model (mixture of different kind of shapes...). But some have done it the hard way and learned it aswell.

Fact is, like everything, the more you do the better you get.

If you want any first hand information on the sounds and what the LCAC is like, let me know and i'll run my mouth off about it.

Woah! It looks gorgeous! :) Im actually started to work on one of my own but Im gonna do mine in the style of the GDI faction from C&C 1 aka tiberian dawn for the american folks :)

Btw Delta Hawk you seem to know stuff about these, is it possible to put weapons on these like Mg's or samsite or cannons? Or would they sink from the weight or crumble from the recoils ect?

there are mounts for mgs on some parts, but I don't remember where. I'm sure there's one on the front side furthest from the cockpit. The navy crew (since they're piloted and operated by the navy) had a M60 machine gun since they're too cheap to upgrade to the M240.

But samsites or cannons is impratical to put on a LCAC since they are just navy ships. Most times, the beach would be secured by an advanced landing team for embarkation of LCACs, probably by Marine Recon, Navy Landing Party or the Marine Battalion's boat or track company. But if a LCAC can carry a tank, I'm sure it'd have the weight and structure to support such weapons.

from what DaSquade said,

i don't have modo or 3ds - maybe it would be better if someone else unwrap this model, if there are people interested to do it.

else, the model is already in multiple part. the roadway part is pretty simple, after the two long structures are mostly mirrored (that's the case on the real model) and the 4 centrifugal parts (the 4 blocks which looks the same) are, infact, the same ;)) so there's already multiple simpler parts avaible.

for the moment i'll try to make the other lods, and maybe add some details for lod0 (notably some cockpit elements) so if someone have some views of the lcac cockpit, i'd be interested with them :)

else, for the machine guns, i think the right and left safeguards at the front of the lcac can be used for placing machine guns on it (due to their design). (maybe to be used with the attachto command, so it'll be possible to add / remove them without making an armed version of the lcac; and provide the lcac with two turrets.)

Edited by sgt_flyer

@sgt_flyer: You migth want to hold on with making the additional lods. Well at least if you meant reduced resolution lods. Correct me if wrong, but one first needs to unwrap the most detailed lod and then reduce the model (as then the uv data will be kept and adjusted where needed).

sgt_flyer,

What program did you use to make your LCAC? I couldn't help but notice how close it looked to Scrub's design

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=52055&highlight=scrub&page=6

I do see differencesthough, so I am not accusing you of any wrong doing.

@ Delta Hawk, as a former member of Assault Craft Unit 4 I can tell you that there were no other provisions for weapons aboard LCACs (other than the aforementioned M-60's) , we did test a MCLIC unit once though. This info is current as of May 2000. You are right though, the beach is prepared by a Beachmaster Unit in conjunction with the Marines. I spent many, many days invading Onslow Beach.

P.S. Bag Work and FOD screen repairs SUCK!

i've modelled the lcac with o2 personnal edition (the one released for arma 1), the screenshots were taken from the buldozer function of the arma 2 .exe

Edited by sgt_flyer

thats a hell of a model for having come from O2...there are few people around who can use o2 and get results like that.

Be sure to also check triangle count in Oxygen. You can do that quickly by selecting the whole model and using Create-Trianglize function.

for the last version of the lcac (i've added some details)

16873 points, 13513 faces, and triangle count 25577.

ok, final version of the lod 0.

lcac.th.jpg

added a few details, remade the skirt from the last time. (after seeing some LCAC videos stang69 told me about.

faces : 13980

triangle count : 26394

Looks awesome! I love the little details here and there like doors and door handles and "life rings".

Can't wait to see more of your work in the future :)

Btw what country versions you releasing this in?

I've seen some pics on google there is a japanese version of this awesome vessel too :)

it will be the US version first, but there will be skins for a japan one too i think :)