Sign in to follow this  
Ferujo

Please, implement Freetrack on ArmA2.

Would you like the possibility to use Freetrack on ArmA2?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like the possibility to use Freetrack on ArmA2?

• Yes, please.. I'd be very pleased for having this option of head tracking too!
    • Sure.. It would be very nice to try this Freetrack lark with Arma2.
    • No, thanks.. (explain why, if you wish).

This poll is a continuation from the last one:

http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=76460

Unfortunately, they closed this last thread (that was the 3th time - or possibly more - doing this), because of some ignorants that insists to mention other entities at the topic.

My question is: why they just don't edit the unwanted posts, like this: "this post was edited by the moderator because it inflicted the forum rules and the moderator advertisements."? That's what any other normal foruns do. Why keeping closing the threads, then?

I don't know. I think some rules are inconsistent and ends up strangling our right of expression. After all, what is the sense in keep punishing the minority in detriment of the majority? Every forum will always going to have some users that like chaos. Wouldn't be better to isolate them? Simply baning and editing their posts? Is it right an important thread be deprived of exist, because of a few chaos follower users?

Even though, here is a message for the incomers:

Please ONLY discuss FreeTrack in here, and how to get it to work in arma. Some of us would actually like a chance to hear back from the devs regarding this. So we repeat:

PLEASE DO NOT DISCUSS ANY NAMEBRAND HEADTRACKING SOLUTIONS AND/OR COMPANIES.

And, if this is not respected, we request for the moderator: Edit the unwanted posts. Do not close an important thread, sending it to oblivion, because of A FEW inconsiderate.

Preamble:

As most of you already know, ArmA2 doesn't support any kind of head tracking device, but one that’s too expensive for the majority.

If you think that Bohemia Interactive should make ArmA2 head tracking FREE, for example, implementing the Freetrack SDK (which is already free) in their next patch, this is your video (it is always being updated with new info):

Cm7tuJzSz7A

(It's better to see on youtube, in fullscreen:

)

So, pay attention to the beginning and to the end of it.

See you head tracked!

Thanks BIS for listening!

Edited by Ferujo

+1 vote from me...

I'm a legal guy, with legal copies of BIS games going back to 1999 - I buy all the software I use - including this - the ONLY games I play....

I don't want to be forced into being a pirate, using "hacks" or "cheats"...

A non vendor-specific tracking interface in Arma2 please!!!

B

Edited by Bushlurker

It would be nice for once for the people who make great games would listen to there players

I'm using a namebrand headtracking solution myself but voted +1 regardless. :)

I has been reading the others Threads till now without having a acount, but since i saw the voting i made one a acount just to make my opnion be valid!!

Yes, i would like to have Freetrack suportt on ArmA2.

+1 for freedom/freetrack

I especially agree with Bushlurker!

...for me freetrack works now...

fix is out! but it works only with a c****

Edited by Peacekeep3r

+1 for freetrack and

+1 for BIS for allowing the thread and

+1 for staying on topic so far.. unless threads already got deleted, in which case +1 for moderation :D

I can't believe that 5 people actually voted no... mente captus...

I have read this one and all the other threads and there is no sound like the famous BIS who care for their community so much all other game companys are jealous.

There is no way that BIS will deny their peoples kind request for so simple a thing!

+1 from me for the FreeTrack and thank you BIS for the game

benito

*I see also the way to cheat to make freetrack work and same as bushlurker says Why must I be a pirate for a game I like and pay for when to add support is a simple thing?

Edited by BenniM
adding

Suma, care to address us as to why you have voted 'no', seeing as how you are a BI Dev and all?

The opposers must be users of the other hardware, or the developers of it. No surprises on that. And they have their right to express their opinion here too, if they wish so (but only respecting the thread/forum rules = no offending).

It's cool the poll having a space for them. Shows that the quantity of people who wants Freetrack is far immenser then the people who doesn't.

So, in order to keep the peace, let's forget peolple who doesn't and focus on people who wants Freetrack. It's for that the poll were created for. Therefore, spread the word for your ArmA2 players friends.

I wonder if BIS have some kind of agreement with a vendor? They don't. Thanks Suma.

I voted the first option, even though I'd never use it (since I use a headtracking system that's already supported). But to me it's like only supporting a particular manufacturer's graphics cards or CPUs. Unless there's a business or compelling technical reason not to, it just seems weird to limit the audience unnecessarily. Are the APIs for the other tracking systems that difficult to support?

Edited by some kind of guy
Not entirely sure, to be honest

Some kind of guy, I ask you to read all the first thread and edit your post, please. We understood being better not to metion any namebranded headtracking entity here because we already had 3 threads closed because of that and we don't want to take any chances again (despite this time we have an official request for the moderator to edit the unwanted posts, erasing then, replacing for some kind of message like this: "this post was edited by the moderator because it inflicted the forum rules and the moderator advertisements.", instead of closing an enormous thread because of one or two unwanted posts.)

Kremator, this goes for you too.

Thank you very much both of you!

Greetings.

Edit: Thanks, some king of guy, you already changed it.

Edited by Ferujo

Suma, care to address us as to why you have voted 'no', seeing as how you are a BI Dev and all?

Because I see little reason to do so. I am sorry, but we are unable to support a device which is very little widespread. There is nothing going "behind", there is no exclusivity for NaturalPoint, but TrackIR installed base seems to be a lot larger that FreeTrack has, which is why we have built in support for TrackIR but not for FreeTrack. Once there will be more FreeTrack users, we can reconsider the support again.

Because I see little reason to do so. I am sorry, but we are unable to support a device which is very little widespread. There is nothing going "behind", there is no exclusivity for NaturalPoint, but TrackIR installed base seems to be a lot larger that FreeTrack has, which is why we have built in support for TrackIR but not for FreeTrack. Once there will be more FreeTrack users, we can reconsider the support again.

Thank you for the clarification. It truly is appreciated! :yay:

But I hope that you might reconsider your current position some day. We might not have the numbers in your opinion just yet, but we are still some of your most loyal fans nonetheless. I've logged 15 hrs in Arma 2 since its release on Steam just two days ago, and I'm just loving it.

Thanks again for your hard work and your posting in this thread.

I'm so happy right now! Thank you very much for your consideration, Suma.

As Arrowhead said, "we might not have the numbers in your opinion just yet", which in other words means: the numbers in this poll are going to raise. You will see!

Thank you once more! :yay: x2

Indeed, thank you Suma for replying and giving us a heads up on the situation. I'm so glad to hear that there is no exclusivity deal.

Excuse me suma, but how do you know that the freetrack installed base is small? In the last pool that was made, to know how much people use freetrack and trackir, it showed that 28% of the arma players with head tracking devises, use freetrack...

Source: http://forums.bistudio.com/showthread.php?t=72634

So as you can see, we are not as small as you want to make it.

This is a quote from the person that made 6DOF possible in ArmA (he is not a BI dev):

(...)The API is there just to pass the position values to the application, its basically just six float values and nothing else in the TIR4 API (+ some extra features like ability to trigger centering). I cant imagine why there would need to be anything more complicated for TIR 5

How hard is it to implement a 6 values code?

It took you so much time to give us an answer and now it's NO? That seems to be a pretty definitive answer and not a "We may add it in the future"...

Edited by Jorge.PT
typos