Sign in to follow this  
TonyTheGator

Xbox 360 Controller compatible???

My apologies if these questions have appeared somewhere else in the 27 pages of questions.

:confused:

Q1: Can I use an Xbox 360 Controller with Arma2 running in Vista32?

Q2: If so, has it got to be manually assigned, key by key?

Cheers!

1. yes

2. no, it has some default settings, but you might want to adjust it to your preference

It is nice to have Arma 2 support multiple joysticks. No more unplugging one to plug in another.

The reason I've asked is because the controller doesn't seem to control anything when I press it's buttons and move it's sticks.

If I go into the controls assigns screen the only assigns are keyboard, there isn't a mnu or button to enable/choose a joystick/joypad.

Does this mean I have to go through each action and bind it to a controller button/stick one by one? Is this what you mean by adjust it to my preference?

Try searching for "xbox controller".......

Also make sure the controller is plugged in before you crank up Arma2 :)

Make sure to enable it in the control settings :bounce3:

I may have missed something in the menu screen within the game but I couldn't see the usual "choose controls" option whereby you normally choose to use the type of controller?:o

At least in the demo, you go to options > controls > controller, and there you should see your 360 controller listed there under both "customizable controllers" and "controllers with scheme."

Unfortunately, "controllers with scheme" sets it up without inverted look for infantry movement, and customising that scheme doesn't work. Granted, you can use "customizable controllers", but then binding right trigger to fire doesn't work and the menu control with the controller and rumble doesn't either. Hopefully such issues can be fixed in the full version.

Edited by kylebisme

At least in the demo, you go to options > controls > controller, and there you should see your 360 controller listed there under both "customizable controllers" and "controllers with scheme."

Unfortunately, "controllers with scheme" sets it up without inverted look for infantry movement, and customising that scheme doesn't work. Granted, you can use "customizable controllers", but then binding right trigger to fire doesn't work and the menu control with the controller and rumble doesn't either. Hopefully such issues can be fixed in the full version.

It seems the "finished" game is no better than the demo for configuration "issues" with the XBox 360 controller.

When I did manage to figure out how to enable the controller in the game it turns out very flaky to say the least. Sometimes its buttons work and sometimes they don't.

TBH I've found the game very buggy and not at all "finished".

When the game came out in my area it was selling for £24.99 - now I know why. Its not finished and will need heavy patching to make it run properly. Even the menues are hit and miss and that's with a mouse to select them.

I've come to realise that when retailers price a new release cheaper than expected it usually means the game is lacking in the playability stakes or is unlikely to sell when the word/reviews hit the streets so they try to shift them quickly at low prices from the off.

I suspect I won't be playing this very much and regret wasting the £24.99 it cost me.:(

How does this make the streets when we've got the CoD games. Arma2 - 4/10 (IMHO):mad:

Edited by TonyTheGator

Update your controller drivers through the Device Manager. Tell it to search online so you don't even have to download anything. Then ArmA will recognize it perfectly, and even give you rumble.

I have the latest drivers for my 360 controller, but it shows in Device manager as enabled and working. But Arma2 doesnt seem to recognise it, for the Controller/Custom screen has nothing. Ive been searching for a solution on these forums and it seems some ppl have no problems getting it to work and those in my boat dont seem to have a firm answer in what you need to do. Also in my control panel in vista, there is a controller tool, that does not display my 360 controller either. Any ideas here? has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Thanks

Daz

I have the latest drivers for my 360 controller, but it shows in Device manager as enabled and working. But Arma2 doesnt seem to recognise it, for the Controller/Custom screen has nothing. Ive been searching for a solution on these forums and it seems some ppl have no problems getting it to work and those in my boat dont seem to have a firm answer in what you need to do. Also in my control panel in vista, there is a controller tool, that does not display my 360 controller either. Any ideas here? has anyone had this problem and solved it?

Thanks

Daz

I have downloaded the latest controller drivers from Microsoft and they do improve the controller in ArmA2 but the default assignments for the controller aren't intuitive.

I still think the game controls are over-complicated and the game is buggy and eratic to play.

As for the Vista OS not recognising the controller, I too have Vista (32bit Home version) and have no trouble recognising the controller as the MS Xbox controller when connected. Have you tried "adding hardware" in the Control Panel? Maybe the USB port is faulty, try it in a different USB port. Have you got anything else connected through your USB...a mouse...joystick etc.,?

I use the wired 360 controller all the time to be honest, without any issues, when i very first tried the demo, i used the controller, and it kinda stuck ever since, i tend to use it 75% of the time while playing (yeah even infantry)

I only really use the mouse when needed, its no chore for me to move my hand 1 foot to the right to use the mouse, or 30cm forward to press the keyboard when needed.

Works great for me, flying is MUCH easier, i cant fly with the mouse/keys, its horrible :D

I can run around and do the infantry thing fine with the mouse keys, it feels a lot smoother when looking about, but when the shit hits the fan and i need to do the business, i preform better when using the pad.

Which will probably wind a load of you "pro" (lmfao) PC gamers up.

I also use the 360 headset plugged into the pad as ingame voip/TS communications, works great! i have TS voices come through the headset, and in game ones through the speakers, simples :D

Edited by S-M

Can't see a point for this old thread to continue being discussed :)